Fishing - Anybody doing any ?

Soldato
Also got a Sunset rod hold-all €32 but decent as it has 3 compartments and should be able to take the boat rods on trips out.

Associate
Was out this afternoon for my first shot at fly fishing really enjoyed it and got one before the wind started picking up and my casts were going all over the place.
One question, is there a way to pick which flies to use or is it just whatever you fancy using? I’ve read you have to research which flies are going about the loch and try match it is that right? Bought one on a bright yellow fly today.
Hoping to get down to the loch at the weekend before I’m away back to work for 3 weeks.

Soldato
Was out this afternoon for my first shot at fly fishing really enjoyed it and got one before the wind started picking up and my casts were going all over the place.
One question, is there a way to pick which flies to use or is it just whatever you fancy using? I’ve read you have to research which flies are going about the loch and try match it is that right? Bought one on a bright yellow fly today.
Hoping to get down to the loch at the weekend before I’m away back to work for 3 weeks.

Match the hatch is the normal way.

Associate
Is that like just having a look around under rocks etc and see if you can match it? And for hook sizes is it usually bigger sizes for summer time and smaller in the winter time? I was fishing on a size 12 fly I believe

Associate
Going on a 10 hour wrecking trip out of Whitby on Saturday.
Weather could be a bit changeable, so could be uptiding instead.....either way I am really looking forward to it.

A bit of a hectic time though, as I fly out to Vegas on Sunday morning lol

Soldato
Going on a 10 hour wrecking trip out of Whitby on Saturday.
Weather could be a bit changeable, so could be uptiding instead.....either way I am really looking forward to it.

Got to arrange myself some days .. it’s like a game of battleships with all the calendar dates though.. may have to just book mid week and book the time off work.

Associate
Is that like just having a look around under rocks etc and see if you can match it? And for hook sizes is it usually bigger sizes for summer time and smaller in the winter time? I was fishing on a size 12 fly I believe

Just watch the water. If the fish are feeding and you can see them rising freely to flys on the surface, they try a dry fly in the same color/size and dont take you eye of it, as soon as the tout sucks it down to strike. Use a product call gink to keep the flys dry for longer while fishing.

If there is no fly activity on the surface then they will be feeding in river. So use stuff like these:

https://www.theessentialfly.com/troutnymphsflypatterns.html

Czech nymphing is a very good skill to get the hang off.

Usually fish 2 to 4 flys at a time for trout so learn how to toe a dropper knot.

Associate
I wish I read this before going out today, that’s the first thing I noticed when I got the fish were jumping about everywhere.
Anyhow. I got a bite but wasn’t quick enough. Have to invest in some dry flies thanks I just looked at mine and there all wet.

Soldato
First time in about 7 months.. Got out on Sunday Shark Fishing - rained, waves, no sharks or Tope but did catch mackerel and had a chance to test my last rod and reel purchased back in Jan!
I heard that the mate that decided to go out on yesterday too - Thresher 3 hour battle, 3 times to the boat then lost, boated a small Porgie. Saw the photos. Gits lol.

I have to say I was impressed with the little Daiwa Saltist Braid 12/20 I got 1/2 price and Penn Fathom 15LD2. A bit like a racing suspension that reacts so fast the wheels keep on the road over bumps, the 12/20 was ultra sensitive compared to my other rods. Both my ug stick 20lb and my 20-50g spinning rod seem to be a lot slower with rattles of mackerel.
I have a feeling that the 12/20, like a race car, wouldn't put up with a tope brawling away without a severe bend to the point of snapping compared to the ug stick that would lock up and just take it (allowing for a little bullying with the Talica on reel duties). I think it's a rod that you need to have some experience to get the most out of it but not endanger it by high sticking etc.

I didn't manage to get to try my 120g light jigging rod, given the number of lines and the tide speed I think it will have to wait until some solent action.

Associate
I went shark fishing out of Hayling Island last Saturday.
Weather was red hot & very bright, but we had a decent day.

I had a couple of tope, largest to around 20lb.
A large dog, plus a decent thornback ray.
A few mackerel, good job as we were fast running out of bait.

Really enjoyed my first shark fishing experience, we are planning on going back there next June.
Only downside was the long drive south from where I live in York.

Soldato
Ok.. last rod ... adding a secondhand 20-30 Saltist Braid to sit alongside my 12-20 I was so impressed with it.

Boat rods I now have; and I think that's a wrap.. in order of 'power', with the Daiwa rods being the main go-to rods for downtide and the seaspin still for fixed spool bass/casting:

Daiwa Deadbait 7-28g although this is not really a boat rod if it's not on a packed charter only.
Agility Seaspin 20-50g
Daiwa Oceano Jigging rod 60-120g
Daiwa Saltist 12-20lb IGFA line class (think more 12lb rod but happy to 20lb)
Daiwa Saltist 20-30lb IGFA line class (I assume this will be 20lb rod but happy up to 30lb)
Uglystik Excel boat 20lb (USA made, this locks up and takes abuse way above the 20lb rating)
Agility Updtide 5-10oz (rare use unless anchored)
Fladen 50lb (rare use, big blonde rays)

I can't seen any need for another rod.. honest.

Last edited:
Soldato
Picked up the 20-30 today - it's lots of oomph, slight bend with 6oz on and happy with 16oz in air (normally in water that's less bend).

Man of Honour
Picked up the 20-30 today - it's lots of oomph, slight bend with 6oz on and happy with 16oz in air (normally in water that's less bend).

Name change to "Tackle-Shop-NickK" :D

i've still not been out on the beach this year yet and the summers just about over... i feel kinda guilty i've been so lazy :/

Soldato
Name change to "Tackle-Shop-NickK" :D

i've still not been out on the beach this year yet and the summers just about over... i feel kinda guilty i've been so lazy :/

Trying to focus on the boat stuff :D

The shore stuff for when we visit the in-laws and the odd holiday :)

Back
Top Bottom