New Build Approx. £2500 Budget

Associate
Hello,

I put a post up a while ago regarding getting a build, however had to wait due to financial restrictions. I'm now in a good place and looking to get the best I can for approximately £2500. I'm willing to be flexible if a couple of extra hundred is worth the plunge. I do not currently have a monitor that would do this build justice however I'm intending to wait until a later date to get this unless it's really worth looking into now.

I'm looking for the highest end possible for the budget, capable of gaming and streaming. I also do video-editing as well. Ideally looking to future-proof myself as this will probably be the last purchase until I'm old and frail.

I'm not sure if this is the correct place for posting this, and I have also excluded from the budget having it assembled by the Overclockers team, as this is something I'd like to do rather than home-assembly.

Many thanks for your time, friends.

Soldato
Hi

Here is something just to give you an idea. Has a 27" 1440p 144Hz IPS Freesync monitor as well, which works fine with Nvidia gpu's.

The monitor and board are both out of stock though ATM so you might want to go with something else depending on availability.

Well under budget, so if you want ocuk to build it you have plenty of money left over for that.

I am sure @orbitalwalsh @Plec @tamzzy will be along at some point to give you a few more options :D

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,205.05 (includes shipping: £26.34)

Soldato
Those RTX 2080 Supers turned out to be pointless, a £600 RTX 2080 is a much better deal, use the extra money saved to go towards 3440x1440 high refresh rate monitor.

Soldato
Those RTX 2080 Supers turned out to be pointless, a £600 RTX 2080 is a much better deal, use the extra money saved to go towards 3440x1440 high refresh rate monitor.

depends on the game, some you see 10fps increase. Some games as you say - at FE default you only see 3fps at standard 1440p . 4K you see min 7 fps.

going UW- and little difference between 2070 super and 2080 . and 2070 and 2060 super actually being odd value to their performance over rest of nvidia line up- no part in thanks to AMD

Total: £2,266.79 (includes shipping: £0.00)

@tamzzy aorus is a little louder, but 10yr warranty vs 7 of seasonic and a little cheaper

*** Competitor info removed again! ***
@Journey . nice for OS and games, and then mass storage for video edits :D

** literally i cant put or instruct someone with the following letters #l**k #sh*p #pl**s #***d #google in constructive sentence together without getting a hammer now lol

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
OP
Firstly you guys have been awesomely helpful, thank you so much! I honestly don't know which to choose from! I had a quick query, and this is probably an extremely dumb question, but if I could afford to, is the upgrade from a 2080 Super to a Ti worth it? I'll definitely be buying a monitor to go with the rig, but I'm looking at waiting 'til around Black Friday/Christmas time to do this so that I can concentrate on getting the most out of the build right now.

Again, thank you so much guys. I don't even know where to start with picking out of your options but you've all been insanely helpful.

Associate
OP
After a long hard look, I think I'm going to go for @tamzzy 's build. I'm still unsure about this Ti shenanigans as I can find it for between £1000 to £1100 online and am confused if it is worth the extra push budget wise. Secondly, with some items now out-of-stock, should I wait for a re-stock or find alternatives?

Many thanks all.

Man of Honour
these are based on the latest deals...
dropped from a 2080 super to a 2070 super. it's £200 cheaper but performs 10-15% slower...
(alternatively can get a 2080 non super for £100 cheaper than a 2080 super. performance difference is ~5-6%)
also specced 2x nvme ssds (rather than 1 sata and 1 nvme from my original spec) - can get it elsewhere for cheaper. ocuk out of stock currently.
specced a better mobo with wifi

Total: £2,551.37 (includes shipping: £33.54)

Last edited:
Soldato
Evening @tamzzy - is your munchkin build behaving itself?

also specced 2x nvme ssds (rather than 1 sata and 1 nvme from my original spec) - can get it elsewhere for cheaper. ocuk out of stock currently.
If he's having to source the NVMe drive elsewhere - did you notice @Journey's observations in another thread, regarding the Sabrent Rocket?

I've just been messing around with a Sabrent Rocket NVMe 1TB SSD today, and it is as fast and in somethings faster than the Corsair MP510, and uses Toshiba TLC flash RAM. It also is about 33% less cost than the Corsair, which makes it a bit of a steal as you can only find QLC drives at those sort of prices and is the same price as SATA base M.2 drive.

Man of Honour
Evening @tamzzy - is your munchkin build behaving itself?
for the most part. had a random crash, so decided to run memtest and alas, one stick is DOA :( but at least crucial has excellent warranty, so sending it off tomorrrow. my 530k pop CSL save will have to be sidelined in the meanwhile. honestly the difference between 16gb and 32 gb ram is ginormous (okay and maybe the 3700x too lol)
and cryorig c1 being delivered tomorrow but still awaiting my 2nd nvme drive

so close but yet so far...lol

go on. get the master. you know you want to.
go on. :)

Soldato
/off topic

for the most part. had a random crash, so decided to run memtest and alas, one stick is DOA :( but at least crucial has excellent warranty, so sending it off tomorrrow. my 530k pop CSL save will have to be sidelined in the meanwhile. honestly the difference between 16gb and 32 gb ram is ginormous (okay and maybe the 3700x too lol)
and cryorig c1 being delivered tomorrow but still awaiting my 2nd nvme drive

so close but yet so far...lol
:/

I've nearly always bought crucial for my system - RMA is usually pretty seemless/quick.

Where is this second NVMe coming from, North Korea?

go on. get the master. you know you want to.
go on. :)
Order of purchases, as my wife is on holiday and has gone spending mad (well she's in London at the moment - but i'm being updated):
  • Bigger TV, YAY! (although assessing present sound system - not so YAY!)
  • Unit for below TV (boring)
  • Sofa and chairs :/ (i like my chair)
  • F'ing expensive digital piano (although admittedly for both of us)
  • Then PC - but still waiting for leaks of B550s. As mentioned before - will be very p***ed if i see fans. And the aluminium version of your case has caught my eye - so may scrap the Xbox in the lounge which is gathering dust (depending on your temps - as would be placed in cubby hole). But need my desktop first...

Man of Honour
Where is this second NVMe coming from, North Korea?
forum member having RL troubles currently, so I told them to take their time :) I'm not a douchebag lol (usually)

as my wife is on holiday and has gone spending mad
match the spending £ for £?

And the aluminium version of your case has caught my eye
yeah. don't know if it's worth the £40 premium though.
i may be ranting about the quality of plastic used, but from a more neutral perspective...it's not too bad if you don't touch it. from looks alone, it's absolutely fine.

depending on your temps - as would be placed in cubby hole
temps are fine...but i haven't closed the case yet. so can't really say specifically for the CPU.
but for the GPU, temps are honestly not bad at all. better than expected for a small case really.
basically my setup is having the 2x 120mm (15mm thick) stock fans to the GPU side, so the GPU is well ventilated. so much so that my evga cooler really isn't spinning up much at all lol - currenty my new rig is actually quieter than it was in the fractal case! :o
then using the cryorig c1 with a 120/140mm 25mm fan which should just about fit inside with the case cover closed. and as it has a direct opening and direct flow to the CPU cooler, should be running like an open-air test bench.

will be very p***ed if i see fans
honestly the chipset fan isn't loud. currently the loudest fan are my gentle typhoons on the H100i lol

Soldato
forum member having RL troubles currently, so I told them to take their time :) I'm not a douchebag lol (usually)
Ah, fortunately your memory has f'ed you over so you don't need it right now :D

Every perverse cloud :/

match the spending £ for £?
Although i lumped all the blame on her (normally justifiably) - i do have to take some of the blame for the TV (well all of it - she's conversely the one that needs reining in on size).

If i went £ for £ - i would be naming it HAL 9000.

yeah. don't know if it's worth the £40 premium though.
i may be ranting about the quality of plastic used, but from a more neutral perspective...it's not too bad if you don't touch it. from looks alone, it's absolutely fine.
Yeah, wouldn't consider the premium normally (but i do like the clean look), but it would be on prime display if i did decide to do this - but would be a complete luxury. But i will have a spare (spare) GPU, PSU - plus Factorio (my guilty secret) would be a laugh on a huge TV. I would need to get one of those lame lap keyboards/mouse thingies :/

temps are fine...but i haven't closed the case yet. so can't really say specifically for the CPU.
but for the GPU, temps are honestly not bad at all. better than expected for a small case really.
basically my setup is having the 2x 120mm (15mm thick) stock fans to the GPU side, so the GPU is well ventilated. so much so that my evga cooler really isn't spinning up much at all lol - currenty my new rig is actually quieter than it was in the fractal case! :o
then using the cryorig c1 with a 120/140mm 25mm fan which should just about fit inside with the case cover closed. and as it has a direct opening and direct flow to the CPU cooler, should be running like an open-air test bench.

honestly the chipset fan isn't loud. currently the loudest fan are my gentle typhoons on the H100i lol
Well, if you were running your last system (case fans) at full tilt(?) - i'm not surprised :p

The design looks impressive - i've probably researched it as much as any case i was buying when looking to see if the 25mm fan would fit, so have grown to appreciate the design regardless of future upgrading PITA.

I think you made a solid choice, regardless of your reservations over (inner) quality.

Man of Honour
Every perverse cloud :/
:eek:

she's conversely the one that needs reining in on size
pretty sure size does matter :p

Yeah, wouldn't consider the premium normally (but i do like the clean look), but it would be on prime display if i did decide to do this
what i don't like about the ftz01 is that there is the garish silverstone branding on the front.
no branding on the rvz03
if you do decide to get the ftz01, make sure you get the ftz01-e.
the ftz01-e is the updated internals, which removes the optical drive space and made changes to accomodate atx sized psus
the ftz01 has slot loading optical drive space and sfx psu only

regardless of your reservations over (inner) quality.
no regrets, only wishes lol
i think i made the right choice getting the rvz03 over the neo-g lol

Soldato
pretty sure size does matter :pl
And yet, when assembled - you'll be equipped with a small, compact unit :D (you started this one :p)

what i don't like about the ftz01 is that there is the garish silverstone branding on the front.
no branding on the rvz03
if you do decide to get the ftz01, make sure you get the ftz01-e.
the ftz01-e is the updated internals, which removes the optical drive space and made changes to accomodate atx sized psus
the ftz01 has slot loading optical drive space and sfx psu only
Thanks, vaguely remember reading about that - and as for the branding, that's what black Sharpies are for. That and the kids leaving lids off so they create interesting and permanent 'Jackson Pollock' like designs on their bedroom carpet. :/

no regrets, only wishes lol
i think i made the right choice getting the rvz03 over the neo-g lol
Me too - although fear for your sanity when it comes to your next miniature build, as you may have reached your limit.

*Custom case!

Man of Honour
And yet, when assembled - you'll be equipped with a small, compact unit :D (you started this one :p)
Clearly, the motion of the ocean is equally, if not more important. No point having one big monster only to have a g3258...I'm sure you'd agree no? ;)

Thanks, vaguely remember reading about that - and as for the branding, that's what black Sharpies are for
£125 just to use a Sharpie...

Me too - although fear for your sanity when it comes to your next miniature build, as you may have reached your limit
Custom water cooled dancase methinks. But that will be >5 years down the line...

Back
Top Bottom