hot hatches 6k

Associate
Hi guys new car time and I’ve always been into hot hatches.

With 6k budget I am considering these
Bmw 130i
Focus mk2 st3
Golf mk5 gti
Audi s3 doubt I’d get in price range though.
Audi TT 2.0

Anthony else I should add to the list? What would be the safest buy of the cars above as I want to buy a nice example not a headache. The focus is the only one there you would get a lot lower mileage on.

This will be my daily runner I don’t do many miles a year really 8-9k or so.

Soldato
Assuming you can buy a reasonable one for the money and that you don't mind a relatively cramped (and very dated now)t interior the130i has by far the best engine of those you've listed (as standard)

None of them will be headache free unless you get lucky, as they will have loved a "used" life and each has their own issues. The BMW power plant might well be the one with the least known issues though

Soldato
Mazda 3 MPS

You might be able to find a MK2 for 6k.
Although some really nice mk1s have popped up for sale on the owners pages. Some which have already been modified with the standard MPS mods. Which saves a huge chunk of pennies.

Dup

Dup

Soldato
EP3 is a bit long in the tooth now and a lot more raw than that list, plus £6k is FN2 money, although not as nice place to be as the current list and the ride is naff.

If you want somewhat reliable you need to look to jap stuff, but the trade off being they're more raw for a daily driver. I had a MKV GTi DSG briefly, paid about 6k in 2013 and it had all options ticked. It needed a high pressure fuel pump (£200) and a new airbox as it was cracked. I got the impression it was a good car but had potential for niggles like the climate vent motors being iffy and easy wear and tear around switch gear etc. It all depends what you're willing to put up with really. It was a comfy good every day car though and wish I wasn't written off. Much nicer than my Type-S that replaced it.

Soldato
Not looked at prices in a while but 6k should get you a decent EP3 Civic Type R.
£6k would get you a nigh flawless EP3 Type R and a huge load of change. Unless prices have skyrocketed, I got my good condition (for the age) 53 plate for £3.5k 2 years ago.

As to whether it could be considered a nice car to drive daily, really varies on the driving. It's no fun in stop start traffic, no fun on the motorway. But if your regular driving is a run down some varied roads with a bits of country lane and b road - I'd say the grins will counter any downsides!

Soldato
Wants a hot hatch - lists a 2l TT. A car renowned for its utterly tripe handling.

People don't give the second-gen TT enough credit. The FWD cars are light and particularly sweet to drive – and, in terms of sense of occasion, they're leaps and bounds ahead of a 130i (for example). I found the latter heavy, dull and requiring a fair amount of work to make it interesting, whereas a bone-stock TT proved a far more compelling package overall (they also tend to be far cleaner underneath than 130is, in my experience).

Dead easy to wind up a bit as well, should you feel so inclined. Just watch out for timing belts on the earlier cars – a lot of sellers don't realise they have them...

Certainly not 'utterly tripe' in the handling department, by any stretch. Mk1 TT wasn't great but, again, often slated excessively. 3.2s make a good noise but they're heavier, more complicated (all are AWD) and outperformed by lightly fettled 2.0 TTs. Far more expensive to run, too.

Otherwise, I'd have a nose around Swift Sports. Get a later example in 3dr form for that money; light, eager, inexpensive to run and great fun. Far more exploitable and interesting than many of the cars listed, plus you can drive them in anger without worrying about racking up substantial bills (or getting in trouble). Stacked with kit and far newer/lower mileage than many alternatives, so a better buy in that respect.

Have a look at FN2 Type Rs, too. Heavier but you might prefer the looks/experience. EP3s are all getting on a bit. The performance might leave you wanting as well, particularly if you're used to forced induction or things with bigger motors.

I'd go for the Golf over the Focus, though, no question. Far more efficient, lighter on its feet and less prone to costly problems, etc. Can't argue with the charm of the ST's engine, that said.

Last edited:
Associate
Bmw 130i - Will bankrupt you if it goes faulty.
Focus mk2 st3 - Quite fat for the power and always in the shadow of the RS
Golf mk5 gti - Prob worth a shout.
Audi s3 doubt I’d get in price range though. - Audi driver enjoyment experience next to nil as usual
Audi TT 2.0 - FPMSLOL er no... and thats being polite.

Stuff you should be thinking of.
Clio sport - any of them
Civic type R
and of course the actual one you should be getting.

The Fiesta ST.

Soldato
Surprising how differently people perceive the Golf GTI 2.0TFSI to be to the Audi TT 2.0TFSI, when underneath they're probably two of the most similar cars on the list, the biggest difference being the Audi's lighter chassis.

Caporegime
Surprising how differently people perceive the Golf GTI 2.0TFSI to be to the Audi TT 2.0TFSI, when underneath they're probably two of the most similar cars on the list, the biggest difference being the Audi's lighter chassis.

Having driven one (tt) for long periods I can really attest to it being awful. Steering feel was non existent. Ride was just plain poor. The damping was worse than bmws which is saying something.

Back
Top Bottom