*** WWDC Keynote 2019 ***

Soldato
Why would you want to use an Apple Watch without an iPhone, almost every feature except the time wouldn't work. Almost every feature needs data from the phone to work.
You can do more than you think without an iPhone connected to it (make calls, send messages, stream music, track workouts, use ApplePay, use Siri, etc). All you need is an active wifi connection.

Soldato
You can do more than you think without an iPhone connected to it (make calls, send messages, stream music, track workouts, use ApplePay, use Siri, etc). All you need is an active wifi connection.

The person wanted an Apple Watch but doesn't have an iPhone. Then someone suggested you didn't need a iPhone which is just categorically untrue. The two things are so tightly integrated it's not practical to use the watch without an iPhone.

There is one thing not having the phone connected for short periods of time but almost everything the Apple watch does needs an iPhone to manage it. All of those things you listed need the phone at some point:
Apple Pay - needs the phone to add/remove cards
Calls/Messages - needs an iPhone to set up, simshare or Apple ID to piggyback off
Track Workouts - great but if you want to look at your data you need the phone via the health app (whats the point in tracking it if you cant see it).
Stream Music - needs Apple Music, needs the phone to set up.
Siri - Really...? About as useful as a chocolate teapot on the phone, its far worse on the watch.

Soldato
The person wanted an Apple Watch but doesn't have an iPhone. Then someone suggested you didn't need a iPhone which is just categorically untrue. The two things are so tightly integrated it's not practical to use the watch without an iPhone.

There is one thing not having the phone connected for short periods of time but almost everything the Apple watch does needs an iPhone to manage it. All of those things you listed need the phone at some point:
Apple Pay - needs the phone to add/remove cards
Calls/Messages - needs an iPhone to set up, simshare or Apple ID to piggyback off
Track Workouts - great but if you want to look at your data you need the phone via the health app (whats the point in tracking it if you cant see it).
Stream Music - needs Apple Music, needs the phone to set up.
Siri - Really...? About as useful as a chocolate teapot on the phone, its far worse on the watch.
I accepted that I was mistaken just a few posts after. You must have missed that part...
You're right, they do need an iPhone. I could have sworn that that had changed with the latest gen Watch.

Yes you need an iPhone to set it up, but you can switch to Android and still use the all but one of the features I listed.

Soldato
My physical card arrived today and holding the phone next to the package to activate it didn't work at all. The customer service is really good, it instantly opens iMessage and you're chatting with someone in no time. I ended up solving it myself by trying to activate with my iPad. All you have to do is press activate, allow the Wallet app access to your location and it activates it. Simple. Now I get to look like a knob with a metal bank card...

Soldato
A posh nob with figerprints all over his shiny bank card when he hands it over :D

I just ordered some sample metal business cards, they're nice and all, but they sure do show finger prints and marks easily compared to a normal matt laminate one. I guess you at least you can scrub them clean if they're metal :D

it instantly opens iMessage and you're chatting with someone in no time

That must be integrated with the new iMessage for business service. Not noticed any UK companies using it yet. I really hope imessage goes cross platform so we have a feature rich cross platform competitor to What'sApp at some point.

Soldato
A posh nob with figerprints all over his shiny bank card when he hands it over :D

I just ordered some sample metal business cards, they're nice and all, but they sure do show finger prints and marks easily compared to a normal matt laminate one. I guess you at least you can scrub them clean if they're metal :D

That must be integrated with the new iMessage for business service. Not noticed any UK companies using it yet. I really hope imessage goes cross platform so we have a feature rich cross platform competitor to What'sApp at some point.
Ha, I thought it’d be covered in fingerprints but it’s got a matte finish that doesn’t get any fingerprints on it. It will definitely get scratched up though, but when that happens you can just order a new one from your phone. :D

Soldato
I doubt that’s surprising. I have a UK card with a limit of £17,000 and I’m sure that others have similar. This is just another way of people being able to brag online - ‘look whatI’m good for’. Good for Apple to - the curiosity factor and FOMO will drive many more applications off the back of it.

Mind you, I can’t say that I won’t apply when it arrives in the UK!

Man of Honour
Not surprising at all, I have a £20k Barclaycard and I recently turned down a credit limit increase. I know friends of mine who buy new cars on credit cards and then balance transfer them around when the 0% deal runs out.

Permabanned
I doubt that’s surprising. I have a UK card with a limit of £17,000 and I’m sure that others have similar. This is just another way of people being able to brag online - ‘look whatI’m good for’. Good for Apple to - the curiosity factor and FOMO will drive many more applications off the back of it.

Mind you, I can’t say that I won’t apply when it arrives in the UK!

You should be entitled to about 30K with Apple then? lol

Back
Top Bottom