BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
I bought my first BMW a week ago and sold my Renault Sport Megane on Friday. The car is a grey 2008 130i M Sport with loads of miles on it. It has xenons and cruise, which are the most important options for me. I'm looking forward to getting to know the car!

Soldato
Very nice! Looks like you had a beautiful build.

I'm giving babybmw a good going over for maintenance tips etc, but do you have any advice or tips for a new 130i owner?

Associate
Very nice! Looks like you had a beautiful build.

I'm giving babybmw a good going over for maintenance tips etc, but do you have any advice or tips for a new 130i owner?

If its got runflats ditch them for some proper tyres! If yours is a high miler than maybe giving the car a suspension refresh is the next thing to do, along with a diff/gearbox oil change.
Water pump can fail on these so have that checked if not already replaced with a metal version.

Associate
Following BMW claiming my issue with engine cranking sometimes for 5 to 10 seconds was the battery and changing to a new one, after attempting to start it this evening it took a while. This week it was fine and this is the first time it’s done it.

It looks like it might be the fuel pump after all. Will give them a call this week, but I’m a bit worried it might not be easily replicated, hence they might say it’s all good.

I've sent BMW an email as I'm away these couple of weeks, but the missus is driving the Z4 and this morning it was cranking for ages until the engine started and then turned off, so she had to re-start the engine. That happened both in the morning and afternoon when she was leaving work. She then said the engine felt jerky and trying to enter into a roundabout there was very limited power and then it suddenly picked up as if she slammed the gear in (the car is an auto btw). She also said revs were a bit erratic.

Hoping it won't explode before it goes back in, although it is in warranty. Still would be good if they resolve the issue prior to any real damage happening.

Do people think this new behaviour sounds like it is the fuel pump?

Soldato
I bought my first BMW a week ago and sold my Renault Sport Megane on Friday. The car is a grey 2008 130i M Sport with loads of miles on it. It has xenons and cruise, which are the most important options for me. I'm looking forward to getting to know the car!

My top tip to all new BMW owners.... use official screenwash. Yes really, they are very prone to gunking up the motors otherwise and depending which model you have getting to the pump can be a huge job!

Soldato
If its got runflats ditch them for some proper tyres! If yours is a high miler than maybe giving the car a suspension refresh is the next thing to do, along with a diff/gearbox oil change.
Water pump can fail on these so have that checked if not already replaced with a metal version.
Yeah my car is nudging 150k miles now. I think the rear dampers have been changed, but I need to go through the invoices to see what else has been done. After a bit of time in it now the car feels very soft. My previous car is likely one of the firmest road cars ever produced, but it even feels soft compared to my father's 225i M Sport. I'll ask the garage on the weekend to look at the suspension. If it does need a refresh I may just get a Bilstein B12 Pro Kit put on.
My top tip to all new BMW owners.... use official screenwash. Yes really, they are very prone to gunking up the motors otherwise and depending which model you have getting to the pump can be a huge job!
Really!? The rear screen was function does not work so I need to address that, but I was planning on using the regular Car Plan stuff.

Soldato
Hi there

Gave the car a good wash this weekend and also took it for a drive and got some lunch, this car is such an incredible drive, certainly better than the CSL I owned some years ago but it should be as most the mods done are what CSL owners would, but the car looks immaculate, OK it is by no means what you would call a showroom condition original car, because it is not being nearly 18 years old and covered nearly 115,000 miles, but its a damn clean solid car with very premium tasteful mods done to it that make it an extremely capable road and track car. But I've decided to sell as I simply no longer use it. :(

I am happy for any prospective buy to get 12 months MOT put on the car as well:

More pictures taken this weekend:

Very very nice!

Where's the advert and what are you asking for her?

Soldato
Really!? The rear screen was function does not work so I need to address that, but I was planning on using the regular Car Plan stuff.

Yes really. Google it, it's actually genuine. I thought it was a load of bs especially when I spotted BMW screenwash was £10 a litre! But then 3 months later my washer pump was completely gunked up and I had to take it all apart to clean it out.

Associate
Yeah my car is nudging 150k miles now. I think the rear dampers have been changed, but I need to go through the invoices to see what else has been done. After a bit of time in it now the car feels very soft. My previous car is likely one of the firmest road cars ever produced, but it even feels soft compared to my father's 225i M Sport. I'll ask the garage on the weekend to look at the suspension. If it does need a refresh I may just get a Bilstein B12 Pro Kit put on.

Can't go wrong with that kit.

Soldato
Yes really. Google it, it's actually genuine. I thought it was a load of bs especially when I spotted BMW screenwash was £10 a litre! But then 3 months later my washer pump was completely gunked up and I had to take it all apart to clean it out.
Ive heard it too, but ive been using the premixed stuff from halfords for a year and I've had no issues. When I looked into it, I believe the official bmw stuff goes down to a lower temperature (say -20) but has a reaction with the premix stuff that goes down to -10. I guess it depends on how much is left when you top it up, I use quite a bit of screenwash so possibly why it's not affected me.

Soldato
Got a 320D Xdrive saloon for a week. Its massive, I assumed it was a 5 series when I first saw it.

Is it me or are 3 series now way bigger and on par with older 5 series or is this just me only really having experience with genuinely sporty cars and not paying attention to boring comfortable mobiles?

Soldato
The new 3 series is the same sort of size as the old 1996-2003 5 series.

Which is great, I'll consider one when the time comes.

It feels very similar to the 2011 5 series I had quality wise. Very premium product inside. I'm very impressed with how far the 3 series has come and wasn't expecting it at all.

Back
Top Bottom