Extra Sata Ports

Associate
Hi,

I've got a homeserver which the storage is around 80% full and I need to add a couple more drives for now, I currently have 2x Sata PCI cards and 2x tv tuners so that is all my PCI slots taken.

Is there anyway of adding more Sata ports or any PCI cards with more than 4x Sata ports? which also have a reasonable transfer speeds (I've already tried a Syba 8 port card but transfer speeds were less than 10MB/s)

cheers.

Soldato
I just picked up a fujitsu raid controller off the bay as i was thinking of going Jbod on my server and the built in hp array wont do it.
Wonder if you could use something similar. Was on 20 quid and you would need a few sas to sata cables but they are cheep like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-SAS-3...876099?hash=item3aecea38c3:g:EvUAAOSwdBRZiC3I

The Fujitsu D2607 like the H200/310 and many others are just rebadged LSI SAS2008 based cards, but the flash process is (perhaps was) a little more involved last I looked compared to the Dell’s. Generally flash them back to IT mode and feed the disk’s direct to the OS and you’re good to go, just make sure they’re forward breakout cables.

Associate
OP
PCI is a dead technology, do you mean PCIe? Also what OS as 10MB/s on the Syba points to other issues.

sorry yeah I mean PCIe, I've tried the card on both w7 & w10, if only 1 or 2 drives were connected transfer speeds were 90MB/s but once all ports were filled speeds soon dropped.

I just picked up a fujitsu raid controller off the bay as i was thinking of going Jbod on my server and the built in hp array wont do it.
Wonder if you could use something similar. Was on 20 quid and you would need a few sas to sata cables but they are cheep like these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1m-SAS-3...876099?hash=item3aecea38c3:g:EvUAAOSwdBRZiC3I

cheers I'll take a look on the bay, the SAS cables look much cleaner than running 10+ Sata cables

@Avalon

To flash the cards back to IT mode, how would I do this? ... guessing you have to reflash the cards firmware?

Associate
You can buy flashed cards on ebay. I swapped out a Fujitsu branded RAID card for a generic HP/IBM/DELL card that had been flashed to IT mode, and the server is fine with it. Presented straight to VMWare and connected to a VM as a PCIe passthru device.

Soldato
Flashing is a few minutes work and depending on the card type can be as simple as running a script, it used to be a lot more involved, now not so much. I suppose paying someone else to do it is an option if you are scared of command prompt, I like to think given where we are that it’s within the capabilities of most, but each to his/her own. I’ve just posted a list in another thread, but the Dell H200/310, IBM M1015, Fujitsu D2607 are the cards i’ve personally used at various times, others exist and you’re looking at £20 upwards, likely more like twice that for someone to have done 5 minutes of work for you.

Associate
OP
Picked up a Dell H310 and flashed to IT mode, I have a uefi bios so took a bit more work (secure boot would not disable) but managed to get the card flashed and all is running ok.

Do the cards run hot? the heatsink is quite hot to touch (probs mid 40's) ... have replaced the thermal paste as the original had dried up.

Have picked up a 2nd card as a backup

thanks for the help

Soldato
While it will run hot normally, STL files exist for fan mounts and even moderate case airflow should be enough to cool it. I’ve run several in cases with very minimal airflow without issue, but obviously cooler is better.

Associate
OP
They do run hot. They're intended for servers with high airflows. It's quite normal to have to improve the cooling (larger heatsink and/or a fan).

While it will run hot normally, STL files exist for fan mounts and even moderate case airflow should be enough to cool it. I’ve run several in cases with very minimal airflow without issue, but obviously cooler is better.

ok cheers, I don't have the room for a larger heatsink or to add a fan ... there is 2x 120mm fans blowing directly towards the card so will keep an eye on the temps.

I only have a micro atx board and all PCI-e slots are in use, all hard drive slots are full so space is limit (probs outgrown the board/case)

Back
Top Bottom