New Toyota Supra formally announced

Soldato
I'm guessing those chunky internals were Toyota's reliability fixes.

I doubt it had any significant input at all with regards to the engine. It might have tested them, sure (and done its own calibration, perhaps), but that's probably about it. :)

B58's been around for several years in various forms, don't forget, and is only an evolution of the preceding N55 – which itself is a decade old.

Soldato
I doubt it had any significant input at all with regards to the engine. It might have tested them, sure (and done its own calibration, perhaps), but that's probably about it. :)

B58's been around for several years in various forms, don't forget, and is only an evolution of the preceding N55 – which itself is a decade old.

Yea they did. BMW was "happy with the reliability", but Toyota wasn't so they took it apart and improved it during the Supra/Z4's development (which started in 2012 I think). There is a video on youtube about it :p

The previous engine was nowhere near as robust and has a number of issues with it.

Last edited:
Associate
Interestingly if it hasn't been mention yet there is a 2.0 twin-scroll turbo available for Japan market only of the Supra..now why couldn't they use that setup on the GT86/BRZ.:confused:

Soldato
OP
Interestingly if it hasn't been mention yet there is a 2.0 twin-scroll turbo available for Japan market only of the Supra..now why couldn't they use that setup on the GT86/BRZ.:confused:

Because the 86 platform is boxer based and the manufacturing is handled by Subaru. They’d have to can off the whole deal to change engine, and given how invested Toyota are now with Subaru (giving them their injection technology etc) I’d imagine it’s too much to go back on.

Soldato

Annoyingly Japan always seem to get better options. There is a carbon fibre GT86 available over there (or was. Not sure if you can still buy it, it wasn't cheap). As well as extra special editions and colours :/

I think the ridiculous tax rules in Europe limit what they can put up.

Last edited:
Associate
Because the 86 platform is boxer based and the manufacturing is handled by Subaru. They’d have to can off the whole deal to change engine, and given how invested Toyota are now with Subaru (giving them their injection technology etc) I’d imagine it’s too much to go back on.
Oh I get that, just wondered why they didn't consider that type of setup beforehand thats all, don't get me wrong I do like the FA20 engine as its very capable engine and big improvement in reliability in comparison to the EJs.

Soldato
I don't think the turbo FA20 was around when they launched the car. It only appeared with the current WRX afaik which was much later.

Last edited:

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Saw one on road today for the first time. Not impressed. It should be sleek but the back's too crowded, roof looks like Peugeot not le mans, disappointing.

Z4 looks much nicer but still got a busy bum... oi oi

Soldato
Yea it still looks like a phallus, but not as much as the old Z4. That weird bulging bonnet on the Supra is a bit odd looking though.

Back
Top Bottom