Looking for advice on first build

Associate
Looking to build my first PC and honestly don't know where to start with all the different versions of graphics cards motherboards etc.

I'm looking to see if anyone can help me out for a rough build costing total 2000-2500 GBP including monitor.

I'm coming from Xbox one X so looking for improvements on that.

I play mostly rocket league, elder scrolls online and destiny.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

Associate
This is probably what i would go for, or something very similar.
You can tweak it to suit your particular needs but you would have an 8c/16t CPU, aftermarket AIO which you could drop this for a decent air cooler if you would prefer that.
10 year warrenty on the PSU.
240gb m.2 ssd for OS and applications and 1tb HDD for games and what not, you can change these out to suit your preferenses and storage needs.
Monitor looks good, 32" 1440p VA panel with g-sync and 165hz.
2080 Super from Zotac should drive that monitor quite nicely

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £2,536.82 (includes shipping: £0.00)​

Associate
Looking to build my first PC and honestly don't know where to start with all the different versions of graphics cards motherboards etc.

I'm looking to see if anyone can help me out for a rough build costing total 2000-2500 GBP including monitor.

I'm coming from Xbox one X so looking for improvements on that.

I play mostly rocket league, elder scrolls online and destiny.

Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks

For the games you’ve mentioned I’d seriously consider reducing your budget in half and spending that on something else, as you won’t see any difference in performance by spending more.

Permabanned
For the games you’ve mentioned I’d seriously consider reducing your budget in half and spending that on something else, as you won’t see any difference in performance by spending more.

If so, total 1234.17£:

Total: £894.22 (includes shipping: £12.30)

and

Total: £351.05 (includes shipping: £11.10)

Permabanned
@4K8KW10 what on earth is that spec... 4K monitor? Vega 56? 2700X? Fugly case? Non-modular PSU? DVD drive? The mind boggles lol

2700X is 100£ cheaper than 3700X, both of which are 8-core CPUs..
Vega 56 can be undervolted, so that its power consumption improves.
DVD is nice-to-have. The case looks cool to me.

Soldato
2700X is 100£ cheaper than 3700X, both of which are 8-core CPUs..
Vega 56 can be undervolted, so that its power consumption improves.
DVD is nice-to-have. The case looks cool to me.

He has a £2500 budget. The 3700X is better for gaming than the 2700X. Even an R5 3600 would perform better in that regard.

The Vega 56 isn't a 4K gpu no matter how much you undervolt it or mess with it. Unless of course you like playing at 30-40fps.

Everything is digital, you don't need a DVD writer in 2019. And the case looks like it was designed by a 10 year old child.

Soldato
If there's anything you'd change, let me know
If you're gaming at 1440p a 2070Super would suffice.

I would definitely swap out the 1Tb PICe 4 NVME for a standard 2TB PCIe 3 NVMe drive (or 2 x 1TB drives) - double the storage, similar price and no discernible speed difference for gaming.

Monitor?

*I would also get rid of competitor names.

Associate
OP
If you're gaming at 1440p a 2070Super would suffice.

I would definitely swap out the 1Tb PICe 4 NVME for a standard 2TB PCIe 3 NVMe drive (or 2 x 1TB drives) - double the storage, similar price and no discernible speed difference for gaming.

Monitor?

*I would also get rid of competitor links.

Links removed, apologies for that.

The reason I chose 2080 super is to open up the possibility of 4k gaming on some titles of I chose to? Or am I going in the complete wrong direction here?

Soldato
The reason I chose 2080 super is to open up the possibility of 4k gaming on some titles of I chose to? Or am I going in the complete wrong direction here?
Your choice - personally (and general consensus), i think 1440p is the sweetspot for gaming. You get to game on ULTRA setting (5700XT/2070Super/2080) and still maintain high FPS with freesync/Gsync monitors.

And that PCIe 4 NVMe is a real waste when you could get 2TB of fast storage.

Man of Honour
I've been posting this elsewhere too and this is what I've come up with so far..
what a waste of money

The reason I chose 2080 super is to open up the possibility of 4k gaming on some titles of I chose to?
2070s is 85-90% of a 2080s...and costs £200 less
4k gaming is overrated currently...just game at 1440p high refresh. you won't notice the difference in fast paced fps, but will definitely notice the difference in smoothness

Only thing to note with the 2080 super in that spec - it ties you into a Gsync monitor going forward.
Thats more money than freesync monitors, yes nvidia say they support some freesync displays but... not a lot.
nvidia won't officially support freesync, but the vast majority of freesync monitors' freesync will work with nvidia gpus

Associate
Er.. well they are supposed to be, although in reality the difference wont be massive unless you buy a crap freesync display and compare it to a decent gsync one a lot more expensive.
Decent freesync displays are fine but you will need to go down the AMD route.

As for the 2080 support 4k, well any video processor can do 4k - hell even intel integrated graphics will do the desktop. However most of them dont have the grunt to do 4k at decent frame rates (ie 60+fps).
Now you can turn the graphics quality down a few notches and... well not notice much difference other than the game speeds up. Or use resolution scaling tech like those built into AMD and nvidia drivers to do 4k at almost 4k.

Me, i would either pony up the money to a 2080ti and grit my teeth when i came across a game struggling to pass 50fps or drop to some like a 5700xt and drop a few graphics settings to reach a decent fps level.
Or... what i actually do now with my 1080ti, is game at 1440p as its more than fast enough and 90% of the time you cant tell a difference.

Man of Honour
Decent freesync displays are fine but you will need to go down the AMD route.
eh? decent freesync monitors will support variable refresh from nvidia gpus, so not really an issue. and with the budget op has, one would be looking at good screens like the dell s2719dgf or the LG 27GL850-B. so a bit of a moot point, really...

Or... what i actually do now with my 1080ti, is game at 1440p as its more than fast enough and 90% of the time you cant tell a difference.
totally this.

Back
Top Bottom