No Man's Sky - Procedural space game

Associate
Just picked this up for the vr a couple of weeks ago. Looks like could be jumping in at the right time. There are a few tweaks on steam to get the vr working better.

Associate
Could someone that has a Xbox One controller try to see if vibration is working on the steam no mans sky?
After going from console to pc I really miss it :( and don't know if it simply is'nt present for the pc version or I have a bad setting somewhere.

Soldato
I tried NMS last night for an hr or so..... honestly I am still not 100% sure it is my kind of game, it is very open sand boxy where as i prefer a more scripted kind of game..... (Even Elite is more sand boxy than i would like and it is going more in that direction as the game goes on) - but i digress.......

but as a technical achievement esp in VR it is incredible. you could spend 10s of hrs just tooling around on 1 planet and there are billions of them. I am sure it will have the issue of all procedural games in that eventually they will all be alike, but for now, i am enjoying it just for what it is.

the UI and controls are also impressive in VR. they did a damn good job with it esp for a free update, full motion controller support and menus which all work well. it is a complete pig on resources however... my 1080ti heavily overclocked was pushed to the max and was still getting frame drops, even a 2080ti cant run on full bubble. running around was mostly ok - some stutter but minor - but flying did not run well. I read elsewhere there is a problem with monitor refresh rates and settings interfering with it. i made sure vsync was off - as some say if you dont it will lock to the refresh of your screen - 60hz for me - I didnt bother lowering the monitor resolution however and didnt mess around with steamVR to see if it was doing some insane super sampling.

I am hoping a patch will improve things and i think it is largely because it is steamVR rather than native, but still, it is easily one of the more technically impressive VR titles and I am not surprised it is a system killer. I do hope it gets an oculus store release however, if it does, I will have a decision to make (unless the devs give free oculus keys, IME the good ones do).

The more steamVR titles i play however the more i am convinced steam or developers should not be allowed to advertise rift support if it is steamVR. ...... SteamVR I am really glad it exists but I see it exactly the same as others see reVive, it is a hack, one i would support but not one that should be used to advertise official support. IF steam had to remove the oculus logo from all titles which states rift support but were steamVR only, it would encourage devs to support the rift properly...... then for those who choose not to anyway, then users could make a consious decision to use the hack that is the steamVR wrapper.
(and yes i would still have bought NMS and Fallout VR, but it is disingenuous to call the rift officially supported. in that i think Dirt Rally 2 has got that 1 thing right.... but i digress again).

Soldato
I only bought this last week and it was fine until the Beyond patch yesterday. Now I have frequent crashes, I get lagged/crash when on the Anomaly and I’m currently in a space station and can’t jet pack or take off. I know they’ll fix it, well I hope they do, but I was actually enjoying the game until yesterday.

Edit. The jet pack and launch in station was linked to mods being enabled as I guess they’re not compatible with this build.

Last edited:
Soldato
I left everything defaulted at enhanced, it ran ok, but I could tell it was pulling my system.

SteamVR I am really glad it exists but I see it exactly the same as others see reVive, it is a hack

Is there any technical basis of any of these statements? The last week or so it seems to have become the narrative. Reading the subs on Reddit last night people were echoing your point, that somehow if NMS would be fine if it were native to oculus and available on the store.

Given the situation of performance all round be it VR or Flat, I find that difficult to believe.

Soldato
I left everything defaulted at enhanced, it ran ok, but I could tell it was pulling my system.

Is there any technical basis of any of these statements? The last week or so it seems to have become the narrative. Reading the subs on Reddit last night people were echoing your point, that somehow if NMS would be fine if it were native to oculus and available on the store.

Given the situation of performance all round be it VR or Flat, I find that difficult to believe.
Think that was because of the Dirt Rally release and the steam version runs like ass for some people.

Back
Top Bottom