Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

Associate
It is worth the price tag of £24. Like others have said... try a gamepad. I am a stickler for K&M but a gamepad works really well. I am using an Xbone wireless gamepad.

Associate
This looks good but not sure it's 23.99 good.
For the amount of hours I’ll get out of it, £24 is a steal. Nice to see a developer not trying to rinse their buyers for a change.

Played for 2-3 hours on the evening of the day of release and had to force myself to go to bed, so it’s got its claws into me already. Looking forward to seeing what the modding community do with it ...

Soldato
The game seems ok, only played it for a few hours so far.

Don't like how they use scanlines on different things like the comms screen or the pause menu, the controller reference text in the pause menu is barely readable...

1-59.png

Also the default controls seem a bit weird (but I think you can change them).
There are threads on reddit regarding controls with a lot of people making suggestions for keyboard and mouse changes, seems like the devs are also active there.

[reddit r/RebelGalaxy]Mouse/Keyboard control discussion w/ Devs

I like how the game is more simplified to Elite Dangerous but also miss a lot of Elite Dangerous' features :D (controls, targeting, etc ...)

The game is so much fun tho :)

Associate
If you mean the ship, then yes - It's a junky piece of crap that you got for free off a scrap heap, because you're broke. That's the point.
If you mean the PDA style system menu - Yep, that's what games were like and this has nostalgia elements. It'll make sense later...

It was all the menus but once I started using a gamepad the menus feel ok.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'll be using my PS4 pad on this tonight.

I read you can add a couple of commands to the touchpad, recommended is Map and Comms.

Will be really useful.

Edit*

Works really well, but as there's already a button for comms, I've changed the touchpad left button to Scan.

And I disabled the touchpad.

And I've set the PS4 light to red in keeping with my case fans and the game. :D

Last edited:
Associate
Echoing the UI choices.. why have the text so big that all the options can't fit on the screen at the same time. I can directly click on any option with the mouse but if it's off screen I then have to click to move the menu but it defaults to the first button so I have to then scroll through all of them before it starts scrolling to the ones off screen. What a silly design choice.

Started off using mouse and keyboard but think I'll either switch to Xbox wireless or my HOTAS.

Associate
You're not the only one Fred! I'm really struggling with keyboard and mouse control any got some tips with K&M?

All you need to do is press F to target nearest enemy, then hold right-mouse button and it will follow the target around on its own. Actual free-flying/dog-fighting with m+kb is nigh on impossible.

I am loving this game and definitely getting Freelance vibes.

I just upgraded the first ship and what really helped me get the cash is this (No major plot spoilers but hidden just in case):
After you complete the first set of missions with the first guy you get a quest to go to a pretty distant system (Merlin, Pelinore Station(sp?)) to meet the original guy who gave you the ship. The station you meet him on has Alien Artifacts for sale at knockdown prices as well as quests to move Alien Artifacts just 2 jumps back the way you came to Louisana (Something Tech station) where they sell for a fortune. Pelinore station are always after the Dry Aged Beef (or w/e it's called) which is available in Texas system. I basically made all 100k to get to the next ship in 2-3 runs of alien artifacts and dry aged beef. First trip to Pelinore there was a mission to gather 9 beef for 40k or so which helped a lot.

Another tip, because it took me so long to realise, if you fly with all energy directed to engines and you get interrupted mid hop by pirates you can just Tab afterburner away from them and re-enable the autopilot without taking any damage in most cases. This helped a lot in the above scenario as the systems are pretty dangerous.

Last edited:
Associate
Yup.

Bit like buying a petrol car and complaining it doesn't use diesel :p

Yeah, but it's the internet, so of course something like that is normal! :p

The dev has been working on the mouse and keyboard controls since launch, so he clearly does care about it, the game just wasn't designed around that input method.

Permabanned
In fairness, the developer was very open from the very beginning that this game was best played with a controller. :)

Right, and those that didn't get the memo are now stuck with a game they can't play.

Yup.

Bit like buying a petrol car and complaining it doesn't use diesel :p

No its like buying a console game and complaining you can't play it with a controller. How can you release a game on a platform that isn't configured with its primary input devices?

Associate
I don't think anyone was ever stuck with a game they couldn't play. A patch was released yesterday including improved config for mouse/keyboard. Today another with further improvements.

I started out with keyboard and mouse, and it was perfectly fine, although remapping was a pain. A few days later and I'm using my logitech extreme 3d joystick, and the keyboard in addition to the 10 or so extra buttons on the joystick.

It's a great game, great fun. Well done to the developers, they're only a small team and they've really done a great job on this one.

To be fair to them, most games come with a day one patch, these guys seem committed to bug-fixes and improvements.

@Smokey Deza, if you haven't got it and like space shooters, this is well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom