AirPods (and AirPods Pro [and AirPods Pro 2nd generation]) now available

Commissario
That's interesting - I've had an odd one a few times where the AirPods link to the phone but after ten seconds they disconnect. The solution has either been to manually connect them to my watch and back to the phone or put them back into the case for a few seconds. It hasn't happened for a while but if it does again, I'll try the reset.

Soldato
Broke my right AirPod last night. Put it in my air too soon after having a shower and now it's hardly making any noise regardless of volume level. Left it out to try overnight but no progress since last night :(

Any idea when the next generation ones will be coming out? Don't know if it makes sense to wait for some new ones or finally pull the trigger on some WF-1000xm3's

Soldato
Do this, I've been massively impressed by the Sonys.

It's to the point where I am looking at things to persuade myself not to buy them. So far my only negative is they're not water resistant so may not be any good in the rain? Everything else is a pro in their favour. I was interested in the Sennheiser Momentum but these are getting better reviews and significantly cheaper.

Rice will do absolutely nothing but if you have some bags of silica gel them that might be worth a try.

we bought loads of laptops recently so i think we should have some kicking about. shall i put the headphone in the actual contents of the packet?

Has anyone ever bought from John Lewis or Currys before? Wonder how their returns are? Are you even allowed to return earphones?

Last edited:
Soldato
It's to the point where I am looking at things to persuade myself not to buy them. So far my only negative is they're not water resistant so may not be any good in the rain? Everything else is a pro in their favour. I was interested in the Sennheiser Momentum but these are getting better reviews and significantly cheaper.
I use mine for general use, commuting and in the office as a headset. They swap between my phone and laptop with ease in the same manner as the AirPods, the noise cancelling is great on the train, the only minor downside is the size of the case; was so used to being able to have the AirPods on me regardless of what I wore.

Soldato
I use mine for general use, commuting and in the office as a headset. They swap between my phone and laptop with ease in the same manner as the AirPods, the noise cancelling is great on the train, the only minor downside is the size of the case; was so used to being able to have the AirPods on me regardless of what I wore.

Yeah that case looks gargantuan! does it have the same satisfying click that the AirPods have? It's no biggie as I'd just chuck it in my bag but the Airpod case is such a perfect size. I'm actually really gutted about breaking them the more I think about it!

Soldato
@JunglistE I returned some XM3s last week as faulty to JL Watford, they will only accept earphones if they are faulty, lady made that clear when I purchased them

Thanks for the heads up. Going to think about it for a few days I think. Really annoying only being able to use 1 earphone at the moment and I'm sure the Sony's are amazing but it's a lot to spend on earphones to only then not be happy with the sound (which is probably unlikely)

Don
The earskinz you can get for these, do they need removing before you put them back in the case? I'd like some but don't think I can be bothered with the faff of removing them and misplacing them.

Associate
I recently lost some Bose Soundsport wireless headphones so now looking for a replacement. Anyone know how the airpods compare to them in terms of quality?

Also, they're mainly going to be used for commuting on the tube so how do they handle ambient noise? Occasionally I may also use them on bike rides, so do they stay in ear well?

Soldato
I recently lost some Bose Soundsport wireless headphones so now looking for a replacement. Anyone know how the airpods compare to them in terms of quality?

Also, they're mainly going to be used for commuting on the tube so how do they handle ambient noise? Occasionally I may also use them on bike rides, so do they stay in ear well?

I expect the Airpods will be inferior compared to your Bose headphones. Just a hunch but can't say for sure.

They don't have any form of passive or active noise cancelling so you will hear a lot of what's going around you and if you have your music too loud, they'll probably hear you.

They stay in the ear very well. I can count on the amount of times they've fallen out on one hand. I used to use them on my bicycle with no issue and currently use them on my EUC with no issues or ever coming close to falling out.

Soldato
Having both AirPods and PowerBeats Pro, I much prefer the beats, prefer the ear hook design, better sound, they go in the ear canal, much better battery life, physical controls, the only downside is the size of the case.

Soldato
Having both AirPods and PowerBeats Pro, I much prefer the beats, prefer the ear hook design, better sound, they go in the ear canal, much better battery life, physical controls, the only downside is the size of the case.
Tempted by some powerbeats, never tried airpods though so I'm stuck as to which direction to go in.

Soldato
Definitely Powerbeats if you want a more secure fit, better sound quality and better battery life.

Or wait till October to see if the rumoured gen 3 AirPods with noise cancelling materialise.

With Apple’s return policy you could try both and see which you prefer?

Soldato
Definitely Powerbeats if you want a more secure fit, better sound quality and better battery life.

Or wait till October to see if the rumoured gen 3 AirPods with noise cancelling materialise.

With Apple’s return policy you could try both and see which you prefer?
I think I'll hang on and see if the Gen3 appear this side of Christmas.

Won't be used during any physical activity, more for when I'm at work/home/motorbike. :)

Back
Top Bottom