Spec me a CCTV System

Soldato
Hikvision do grey/black cams.

Picking up some of these latest ColorVu cams from Hikvision this week, finally. Should be interesting to see how good they are at turning darkness into full colour and no need for IR. Also intrigued if I can, test them at reading car plates at night.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate

Picking up some of these latest ColorVu cams from Hikvision this week, finally. Should be interesting to see how good they are at turning darkness into full colour and no need for IR. Also intrigued if I can, test them at reading car plates at night.

Brilliant thanks just couldn't see any when searching

Associate
I had something stolen from my house during a party at the weekend (long story) and im looking to get some basic CCTV just covering the front entrance of my house for now.
Ive got a Synology DS918+ so would like to get 1-2 cameras, ill need to use wifi for them both but i can easily get power for them close by where id like to install them from outside security lights.
Had a few people recommend Hikvision, but the range seems so massive and confusing for someone like me whos totally new to this.
Can anyone recommend a camera model?

Caporegime
I had something stolen from my house during a party at the weekend (long story) and im looking to get some basic CCTV just covering the front entrance of my house for now.
Ive got a Synology DS918+ so would like to get 1-2 cameras, ill need to use wifi for them both but i can easily get power for them close by where id like to install them from outside security lights.
Had a few people recommend Hikvision, but the range seems so massive and confusing for someone like me whos totally new to this.
Can anyone recommend a camera model?

just get a nest hello doorbell. ever since i got one i never need to go collect parcels from depots or have them delivered to a neighbour i don't know, etc.

Associate
just get a nest hello doorbell. ever since i got one i never need to go collect parcels from depots or have them delivered to a neighbour i don't know, etc.

Knowing what my area is like now id rather have something high and out of the way, so i can see my car on the driveway too, but i think the local idiots would just try to steal the nest hello itself lol

Caporegime
Knowing what my area is like now id rather have something high and out of the way, so i can see my car on the driveway too, but i think the local idiots would just try to steal the nest hello itself lol

It's pointless stealing one as its hardware locked to an account so long as you don't remove it from your account it can't be used elsewhere.

I've never heard of one being stolen either

Associate
It's pointless stealing one as its hardware locked to an account so long as you don't remove it from your account it can't be used elsewhere.

I've never heard of one being stolen either
I know, i was joking, there are idiots round here who will steal anything.
Case in point being what was stolen at the weekend was an iPhone from my house which we bricked an hour later.

Anyway, can anyone recommend cameras for use with my DS918+ please?

Man of Honour
I know, i was joking, there are idiots round here who will steal anything.
Case in point being what was stolen at the weekend was an iPhone from my house which we bricked an hour later.

Anyway, can anyone recommend cameras for use with my DS918+ please?

Most cameras will work with the Diskstations - the hikvisions that are generally recommended would be perfect.

Associate
I've read some of the cctv thread and I'm lost ha

I have a small house, so 4 cameras will be ideal

Dont need nothing too fancy, just decent

DVR and be stored next to my PC in the front bedroom and plugged into the tv that's in there

Is there any ready to go kits that I can just buy

Willing to spend about 300 quid or so top end or if anyone has any other ideas
Such as single cameras with POE, and use a separate DVR

I'm new to this so bare with me please

Thanks

Associate

Did you get to test these colorvu's? I am looking for better than i have and these are interesting.

Soldato
I'll probably get burned at the stake for suggesting this BUT - If I am only really needing one camera (2 at most) and I already have a Nest Hello - Would it be just as cost efficient and easy to get a couple of Nest Outdoor IQ cameras instead of setting up and running DVRs etc?

Does anyone have any Nest Outdoor IQs and wouldnt mind uploading some sample clips to show quality when zooming in etc?

Caporegime
I'll probably get burned at the stake for suggesting this BUT - If I am only really needing one camera (2 at most) and I already have a Nest Hello - Would it be just as cost efficient and easy to get a couple of Nest Outdoor IQ cameras instead of setting up and running DVRs etc?

Does anyone have any Nest Outdoor IQs and wouldnt mind uploading some sample clips to show quality when zooming in etc?

I would say No.

The cameras are like £330 each to start with so that is £660 for 2 cameras even if you get a good deal lets call it £550. as i have seen them as low as £275 on sale.

then you need to pay a ridiculous amount in subscription costs. which after 5 years adds up to several hundred pounds again.

You could buy 2 hikvision and a NVR for £300. and install costs will be likely the same as the nest with no sub costs.

so it's like 1/3rd of the price over 5 years to buy hikvision and gets cheaper the longer you use them with them costing nothing in subscription costs.

Associate
Looking at the ColorVu cameras and after a quick read up, it states that they require supplement lighting.
Also been looking at these, from the reviews the suppliment lighting is built in in the form of 2 white leds and no ir leds, would be nice to hear from someone who has them.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
the hikvisions will actually run standalone with a micro sd card in them...

This was something I didn't realise and was going to ask about, in theory I could technically buy my 2 cameras and fit them now with a power supply and an SD card each as we've had a few things go missing from site, and then when the house is wired and I move my NAS back I can remove the power and SD cards and just connect to network cables?

Man of Honour
This was something I didn't realise and was going to ask about, in theory I could technically buy my 2 cameras and fit them now with a power supply and an SD card each as we've had a few things go missing from site, and then when the house is wired and I move my NAS back I can remove the power and SD cards and just connect to network cables?

yes, totally possible :) not sure how long you'll get recording wise but you should be able to tweak it with the resolution, framerate etc. You also get all the app support & notifications with a standalone camera.

JRJ

JRJ

Associate
yes, totally possible :) not sure how long you'll get recording wise but you should be able to tweak it with the resolution, framerate etc. You also get all the app support & notifications with a standalone camera.

Brilliant cheers, they'll be running back to a Synology DS218j when that gets back up there, I'll have to use the Synology software when this happens I guess?

Which of the Hikvision cameras in grey would you recommend they don't seem to do the full range in grey?

Man of Honour
if your running power to them you might as well run ethernet (and power over ethernet) to them and hook them into your network, or atleast get that bit of the cable run sorted and put the poe injector inline.

grey wise i don't know i'm afraid - not looked at that range

Back
Top Bottom