ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Soldato
Glad they have set the Sterling price now as by the time it lands there may be dollar parity and it would need to be £1250+

I believe UK/EU is getting it first also, so that has helped in this regard. May see retailers mark it up of course, but we shall see.

Associate
So tempted by this - I put a 40ins TV on my desk a few months ago and tho it looked ridiculous at first running Windows at 4k/100% DPI (Rather than 200% on my 28ins) was a revelation

Associate
Looks like it has the same kind of local dimming as the Samsung CRG9.
They are vertical but it was hard to count them on the video review, maybe 10 ?

Associate
Fascinating review. I can relate to what they say. I had twice the viewing distance as they had when I had the 40 4k and also a vesa stand that pushed the monitor to the lowest height.

It was lovely but I quickly developed neck ache as I had to look up and down and left and right. It was also flat screen and felt strange. Never the less will probably pick one up or the Acer one day when it's on sale.

Or from the classified forums in here heheh.

Caporegime
That will apply to any high refresh 4K monitor that uses Displayport. Only HDMI 2.1 has the bandwidth to go higher than that.

Not true. DSC monitors can handle 4k, HDR, 10 bit at 144Hz. Plus displayport 2 coming soon handles 8k @ 144hz at 30bit from memory

JediFragger is correct though, there is enough bandwidth without DSC to run at 100Hz and 10bit and HDR which is a good compromise esp if using variable frequency.

Associate
DSC uses compression. Although it is "supposed" to be visually lossless, we'll see. Not to mention zero monitors use it. Only one coming out as far as I am aware at the moment.

As for Displayport 2.0 coming "soon", I hope that was sarcasm. ;)

Caporegime
DSC uses compression. Although it is "supposed" to be visually lossless, we'll see. Not to mention zero monitors use it. Only one coming out as far as I am aware at the moment.

As for Displayport 2.0 coming "soon", I hope that was sarcasm. ;)

Well since its not looking likely that any pc monitor or gfx card is coming out with hdmi 2.1 until next year and the first display port 2 are due next year, i don;t see your point? Both are probably going to be competing with each other at the same time and are coming as soon as each other (which i pc/monitor world means years I know)

DSC take up has been disappointing esp since gfx cards support it and its just the monitor manufacturers havent bothered with it as were waiting on hdmi 2.1 and displayport 2.0 to solve their problems.

It would have been a cheap fix to give us all 144hz 4k until then.

Associate
I've been following the display industry for a few decades and would be absolutely stunned if DP 2.0 came to actual products in 2020. The standard was just released. Usually it is 2-3 years before you see end-to-end functioning products after spec release. Remember you need a DP 2.0 video card that needs the transmission controller baked into the silicon and you need a DP 2.0 chip (yet more specific silicon) in the display. The HDMI 2.1 Specification was released in November 2017 and we may be lucky to get a video card with it in 2020.

Back
Top Bottom