What watch do you wear?

Caporegime
Well, now that I have been living with the ROP39 (Rolex Oyster Perpetual 39mm) for a couple of weeks I am loving it more and more for its discreet and elegant style, dress up or down versatility, and uncluttered symmetry and warm white dial. I am also finding the lack of date refreshing as I often go for an active weekend wearing my Tudor Pelagos, so not having to fiddle with changing a date when I pick up the ROP39 after a weekend of not using it will also be very refreshing. I used to think a date was essential, but as we now always have our phones on us I prefer the convenience of not having to set it.

Also, and I say this as someone who does not care about impressing people, beyond maintaining a smart appearance when the situation demands, as any gentleman should, that it is very interesting seeing the reactions of people when they see you have a Rolex. Often people, such as store assistants and customer service reps, have what they think is a quick and imperceptible glance at your wrist, simply see you have a Rolex, and then immediately you can see them take you more seriously as they make the snap judgement based on their own experiences that you are someone of some means and can either afford what they are trying to sell you, or can perhaps get them in trouble if they do not give you good service.

It's ridiculous from a moral perspective, but it appears to be common (and to a large extent understandable given our material society and the people they deal with) psychology and it's interesting to notice and experience it. I am interested to know if when I go home what effect it will have on women of a more material and superficial nature that I have met and if they will be even more transparent than usual.

Anyway, all that crap aside, I really love the watch and can see me owning it for many years. :)

Soldato
There does seem to be a 'Rolex effect' as rediculous as it sounds, although I'm sure this isnt unique to just Rolexes. I don't wear mine at work, as I have no desire to 'show off' to my more materialistic natured colleagues, however in the right circles it does get a warm reception. I think it's more about the watch as a talking point; many people's watches represent significant points in their lives i.e. the birth of a child, or they were a gift/inheritance etc.

I compare the experience to enthusiasts talking about or comparing rare or classic cars; people are genuinely interested in the story moreso than the monetary value.

Last edited:
Caporegime
There does seem to be a 'Rolex effect' as rediculous as it sounds, although I'm sure this isnt unique to just Rolexes. I don't wear mine at work, as I have no desire to 'show off' to my more materialistic natured colleagues, however in the right circles it does get a warm reception. I think it's more about the watch as a talking point; many people's watches represent significant points in their lives i.e. the birth of a child, or they were a gift/inheritance etc.

I compare the experience to enthusiasts talking about or comparing rare or classic cars; people are genuinely interested in the story more so than the monetary value.

This is also I have learned, at least in my experience, very much a UK thing. I have lived in various places in Europe and traveled in most developed continents and it is only in the UK where I have seen such fierce resentment of people who have nice things. it's like we have built a culture where people are embarrassed to wear any outward sign of wealth for fear that they will be labelled a showoff, posh tw*t or other general resentful abuse.

Doesn't happen (generally speaking, I mean) in Germany, doesn't happen in France, doesn't happen in Switzerland, doesn't happen in most of Eastern Europe... people generally just shrug their shoulders, accept that some people have things that they don't have and get on with life without a second thought.

Having lived outside it for long enough I find that with regards to outward signs of wealth (and I don't even mean particularly ostentateous outward signs) the UK is a comparatively petty, jealous and somewhat unhealthy culture versus our EU brethren.

Last edited:
Soldato
Doesn't happen (generally speaking, I mean) in Germany, doesn't happen in France, doesn't happen in Switzerland, doesn't happen in most of Eastern Europe... people generally just shrug their shoulders, accept that some people have things that they don't have and get on with life without a second thought.
I was in Basel the other day and 3 teens (like 15/16) walked past me, each one wearing a Rolex sub lol

Soldato
I've got a Tissot PRS-200 that I picked up second hand off eBay around a year ago, recently it seems the movement has died in some way shape or form as a new battery hasn't revived it. No warranty due to eBay/second hand nature of it, any recommendations of good places where to take it/send it to get it looked at and hopefully fixed?

Soldato
I've got a Tissot PRS-200 that I picked up second hand off eBay around a year ago, recently it seems the movement has died in some way shape or form as a new battery hasn't revived it. No warranty due to eBay/second hand nature of it, any recommendations of good places where to take it/send it to get it looked at and hopefully fixed?
It's entirely possible that they'll just swap out the entire movement given the cost of labour vs. the new movement price.
Unfortunately can't suggest anywhere for such work though.

Soldato
Anyone got a classic omega / longines / Rolex from 50s - 70s?

Been having a look on eBay at a few of these and I've been tempted to put in a bid / buy it now for ones that I've seen. Just really wondering if anyone's had issues or increased servicing for the age of the watch?

Soldato
Always enjoy having this one on wrist

20190816-111615.jpg

Soldato

Been having a look on eBay at a few of these and I've been tempted to put in a bid / buy it now for ones that I've seen. Just really wondering if anyone's had issues or increased servicing for the age of the watch?
It's always a concern, given you often have no idea of the service history. I'd personally be very wary of big name brands on eBay, not just because of the always-present service history issue, but mainly due to frankens/fakes/botches/crap, and would rather put my money with trusted dealers of vintage stuff.

Soldato
Also, and I say this as someone who does not care about impressing people, beyond maintaining a smart appearance when the situation demands, as any gentleman should, that it is very interesting seeing the reactions of people when they see you have a Rolex. Often people, such as store assistants and customer service reps, have what they think is a quick and imperceptible glance at your wrist, simply see you have a Rolex, and then immediately you can see them take you more seriously as they make the snap judgement based on their own experiences that you are someone of some means and can either afford what they are trying to sell you, or can perhaps get them in trouble if they do not give you good service.

This is total rubbish in my experience. People don't notice watches, or don't care.

Associate

You do have to be careful on eBay as @hughtrimble mentioned. However, on the flip side, you can get some good deals on there. Just make sure you do your homework/research before hand. You have to check the dial hasn't been redone/is in good condition and the crown, hands are case are correct for the reference. Chances are crystal will have been changed but its worth checking if it is original. Also try and get a picture of the movement and give that a visual check to make sure it is the correct one for the reference and to make sure there isn't any water damage in there. The servicing of most watches can be done by a competent watch maker so long as the watch was a fairly good quality one when it was made. 60s Timex watches for example are going to be much harder to service than a 50s Omega.

Here are 3 watches I got from eBay over the last year which came back from the watch maker last weekend after being serviced.

TuTY0x0.jpg

As a rule of thumb I assume all vintage watches I purchase are going to need a service straight away and I factor that into the cost of purchase. For reference I would say the general cost of a service is the following:

1. Manual Wind - Time only: £80-£120 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
  2. Automatic - Time/Date: £120-£160 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
  3. Manual Wind - Chronograph: £160-£200 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
  4. Automatic Chronograph: £200-£300 + Parts + Time Fitting Parts
Parts can be expensive but this depends on the watch. You can get an idea of the cost of parts for any given watch movement by looking the movement up on cousinsuk. This will also give you an idea of parts availability as well as they are the main supplier of parts to watchmakers in the UK (along with the actual watch companies themselves).

As a little test, can you spot what is wrong with my vintage Omega Seamaster?

Z8pxDKk.jpg

Soldato
This is total rubbish in my experience. People don't notice watches, or don't care.
He seems to be contradicting himself as well. On one hand saying he expects better customer service when people notice his Rolex, but then saying everyone in the UK is jealous and everywhere else "people generally just shrug their shoulders, accept that some people have things that they don't have and get on with life without a second thought.".

Soldato

I've got two; an Omega '53 Thin Arrow and a Longines 5Star Admiral caliber 6651 from '74. The Omega is very rarely worn but I wear the Longines as my dress watch and most of the week for work. Last had the Longines serviced about 7 years ago and it's been faultless since.

Soldato
As a little test, can you spot what is wrong with my vintage Omega Seamaster?
Nice little Bumper(?).

I was going to say just the lume has been redone on the hour hand, but is the hand set simply incorrect anyway? I thought they only had dauphine hands.

I always learn so much from these things. There are always intricate details and exemptions to so many tiny aspects of watches.

Soldato
Nice little Bumper(?).

I was going to say just the lume has been redone on the hour hand, but is the hand set simply incorrect anyway? I thought they only had dauphine hands.

I always learn so much from these things. There are always intricate details and exemptions to so many tiny aspects of watches.

I found this video quite interesting - https://youtu.be/mDyFyynEe4U. A defect on a modern Rolex Airking.

Caporegime
Of course people notice at some point.

He seems to be contradicting himself as well. On one hand saying he expects better customer service when people notice his Rolex, but then saying everyone in the UK is jealous and everywhere else "people generally just shrug their shoulders, accept that some people have things that they don't have and get on with life without a second thought.".
I didn't contradict myself, nor did I say 'everyone in the UK' , your reading comprehension is at fault.

Man of Honour
This is also I have learned, at least in my experience, very much a UK thing. I have lived in various places in Europe and traveled in most developed continents and it is only in the UK where I have seen such fierce resentment of people who have nice things. it's like we have built a culture where people are embarrassed to wear any outward sign of wealth for fear that they will be labelled a showoff, posh tw*t or other general resentful abuse.

Having lived outside it for long enough I find that with regards to outward signs of wealth (and I don't even mean particularly ostentateous outward signs) the UK is a comparatively petty, jealous and somewhat unhealthy culture versus our EU brethren.

Not sure about the jealous, petty etc. I think there is a bit of looking down the nose at people with osentatious taste and brands. Nothing against Rolex but it is the brand that people who know sod all about watches notice and perhaps some unfairly think owners wear that brand in order to be noticed. My JLC would rarely be noticed or ruffle any feathers.

Associate
Nice little Bumper(?).

Not a bumper, this one has the 501 or the 510 in it (can't remember which) so it's a full auto.

The lume on the hour hand has been redone which was the obvious thing (given away but the differing colour lume on the dial). The hands I believe are Omega hands (as shown here http://www.ofrei.com/page764.html). As a rule of thumb, if there is lume on the dial, the hands should be lumed as well.

The crown is the correct style (clover leaf) but it is a service replacement. This is more obvious if you see the face of the crown as it has the newer logo on it but it can also be seen from this angle as the edge next the case isn't flat so it doesn't sit quite flush with the case. The last thing, which is quite hard to tell from pictures is that the crystal has been replaced at some point. The original should have a very small Omega logo on it right in the center. This can be hard to see unless you are viewing the watch at the right angle.

This watch highlights that you have to do your research if you want and an all original watch because at a cursory glance it looks ok. Getting a non original one is a OK too but its good to know what you are buying so you can make sure you are not overpaying.

Back
Top Bottom