BMW 640D - First service cost?!

Soldato
The fact that the aftermarket might have found an "easier" solution is irrelevant. You're criticising VW for an official aspect of their design, when Toyota/Subaru have one which is arguably worse. Take your GT86 to a dealer and ask them to change the spark plugs and they will have your engine out and happily charge you £600 quid for the trouble, for a job that in almost any other car would take you about 10 minutes.

Just out of interest, have you ever had to good grace to concede that your point is fallacious, or do you always just carry on saying "Yeah, but..." ?

Last edited:
Soldato
Wow that's bad design! with mine you don't even need to open the engine access panels. You simply take the rear wheels off!

To be fair, it doesn't have to come all the way out, but I understand the engine needs to be raised to get access to the heads. Not something most could do on their driveway, and hardly fair to ignore that it's something that needs to be done every 60K miles whilst berating VW for needing to remove the engine (presumably just once) to change a tensioner.

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure I'd trust lifetime fluid? It would surely benefit to service it at a point.
I'm on 35k ATM, I want to upgrade to the new m5 in a couple of years and I do 10k a year, so for me it will be fine. The next owner can change it if they wish. Iirc when I had my 911 (sorry I mention it from time to time as its the only other performance car I've had), I'm sure the (manual) gearbox oil had a life on it, just had a quick Google and it's every 90k. Interestingly the website I found showed that the older tiptronic (slushboxes) should be changed every 30k:eek:. That's some progress in 20 odd years.

Soldato
Not sure I'd trust lifetime fluid? It would surely benefit to service it at a point.

No mechanical device is maintenance free if you want it to actually last a lifetime, especially one under a lot of load like a gearbox. If someone had figured that out I'm pretty sure the military would be all over it as it would save millions on servicing ships and tanks.

When a company talk about something being "lifetime", it rarely means lifetime as we we know it :/

Last edited:
Caporegime
M3 DCT box is over 10 yrs old now and failures are very rare, they are reliable despite no oil changes. Remember this is a gearbox with 7 litres of oil that doesn’t get contaminated like engine oils. The oil stress factor is relatively low.

Soldato
In all honesty, this should have cost you nothing if you'd been smart enough to pay the less than £500 for 3 years free servicing. Think my M5 cost me a grand total of £18 one year to service.

Caporegime
Whats he service life on the e92 m3 DCT? Is it meant to be lifetime?

BMW say it's a lifetime fluid. the people that manufacture them say every 7 years or every 100k miles, whatever comes first.

thats because after 100K / 7 years there is no BMW warranty anyway so they don't care. they want it to fail so you buy another.

Soldato
I assume he means buy another gearbox. Or at least shell out loads to fix it...

I wonder if they say you can keep the same oil in an LSD forever as well.

Caporegime
I can't imagine there are many people who would respond to gearbox failure on a 7 year old M3 by simply purchasing a brand new M3.

People who buy brand new m3's don't keep them for 7 years.

Whoever buys them at that age would be interested in another 10 year old M3 or fixing it.

Regardless BMW don't care so they say its a lifetime fluid because if it does fail its the owners who have to pony up.

Soldato
People who buy brand new m3's don't keep them for 7 years.

Whoever buys them at that age would be interested in another 10 year old M3 or fixing it.

Regardless BMW don't care so they say its a lifetime fluid because if it does fail its the owners who have to pony up.
Why not just say 100k then? It's not going to affect them as like you say there's going to be very few people keeping an m3 for 100k miles or 7 years. The extended warranty goes past 100k though doesn't it (for a price)?

Soldato
BMW cut off is 100k miles and 7 years what I've read. Nice coincidence :D

For comparison Toyota do 100k miles (from the point you buy the extended warranty!) and 12 years max.

Man of Honour
BMW cut off is 100k miles and 7 years what I've read. Nice coincidence :D

Why do you continue to post about things you clearly have no idea about? It's very frustrating.

There is no maximum age or mileage for a BMW insured warranty product. Cars with other 100k at policy inception can only have driveline cover but that's it. Cover continues if warranty ticks over 100k during the policy.

Soldato
Why do you continue to post about things you clearly have no idea about? It's very frustrating.

There is no maximum age or mileage for a BMW insured warranty product. Cars with other 100k at policy inception can only have driveline cover but that's it. Cover continues if warranty ticks over 100k during the policy.

Lol yea with a claim limit up to £5000. How much is a dual-clutch gearbox or engine again?

Back
Top Bottom