Wearable Tech

Soldato
Fitbit Charge 3 that came free with a new BT contract. I love it - never wanted a full smart watch but this little thing has transformed my approach to fitness. I don’t bother with all the calorie input and food etc, but I input weight every week, and I’m addicted to improving my data now.

Soldato
noticed some of the expensive ones come with or have the option for sapphire glass which should be all but scratch proof. Though as you say when they are charging £250-£500 you'd hope they came with sapphire glass

You're severely underestimating how little I can be trusted with nice things. :D

Actually, one thing that edges me towards a true smart watch rather than a hybrid is that you can get screen protectors for most of them. I think I trust having something in the way I can damage instead. I don't trust claims of the thing itself being damage proof.

I had a citizen 'normal' watch a few years back, and pretty sure that had sapphire glass. Scratched it within a week of owning it because I did some DIY without remembering to take it off.

Soldato
None, I quite like the idea of some of the semi smart watches but haven't seen anything I'd have a real use for. At work I'm in front of my PC all day and if I'm on call I have to actually answer the phone. On a personal level never really felt the need to answer messages instantly (and don't get many). Not really interested by step counters I've always walked a lot and if I do real exercise I count the calories by machine or just hope I've done enough.

Soldato
A semi smart Garmin Fenix 3hr, read messages and decline calls all I need to do without pulling my phone out of my pocket.

I've had the same watch for the last few years and for my uses it's perfect. The battery is great even when tracking and the notifications are handy. I use it mainly for tracking running and hiking. It's been scuffed up rock faces while climbing and still looks in reasonable condition. If it dies, I'll definitely buy another one!

Don
Sure. The Apple Watch can't upload my steps to Fitbit. I've had my Fitbit for years, I don't want to lose that history and I enjoy the weekly and weekend challenges with my friends.

Understandable, why I stayed with Fitbit for so long. In the end I got sick of their poorly made products. Their customer service is great, happily swap out broken goods but I went through 3 Surge's in 12 months, it was silly.

I have a Huawei GT watch, I love it, it does exactly what I need and battery lasts just short of two weeks and that is with a lot of use of the GPS. I really recommend it and would definitely look at the next one when it's out.

Caporegime
None here. Don't want them radiation waves making my skin fall off or letting them Russians steal my thoughts.

Damn kids putting their gizmos all over their bodies. Damn supple young pain-free bodies and nice smooth skin. And.. what was I saying?

Soldato
I use a fitbit inspire hr. It's my first fitness tracker so I have nothing to compare it to but it seems to be fairly accurate with heart rate and sleep, which is all I wanted it for.

It's nice to be able to track heart rate throughout the day and night. I do have a worryingly low amount of 'deep sleep' compared to almost everyone though which I should probably look into a bit further.

Soldato
I recently got a Garmin vivoactive 3 having previously been against smart watches and enjoy the insights as well as the easier tracking of running and cycling with heart rate data, which is why I got it.

Soldato
I have an apple watch for everyday wear (got it on one of the 20% ebay days for £130). I also have a mifit 2 that I stick on when I go to bed (sleep tracking).

I actually got the apple watch as I like to keep my phone on silent and found I wasnt feeling the vibrations. So I use the watch for the vibrations and easy notification for email, whatsapp, txts and to let me know when I have a call.

Soldato
The apple ones have always been in top 5 for any of the online reviews i've read.

Mainly do walking/cycling but would like it to be able to record while swimming which makes it a little more difficult i imagine as the activity is not able to rely on phone gps tracking for distance accuracy. Those with built in GPS i struggle to see how they'd be accurate in say a 25m pool if doing lengths

All lot smart people made sure that the Apple Watch tracks swimming very accurately.

Soldato
Had a Sony Smart watch 3 for over a couple of years, but the GPS lock and accuracy drives me insane at times.

Ended up with a dedicated bike GPS device, sometimes I'll use my mobile, albeit the battery drain on the phone is quite high when tracking for 3+ hours.

Caporegime
Samsung Gear S3.

I picked it originally for 2 reasons. It looks like an actual watch and the battery is decent (last for 3-4 days with my usage) which is fine for me. I have had it for almost 2 years and I still wear it everyday. It took a while to find a durable strap which I find comfortable, but its fun where you can change the straps easily enough when your mood changes :)

The app support is good. Step and fitness tracking is also good as I am at the gym everyday so its nice to track and keep goals :)

What I use the most has to be notifications for meetings. It's hard to ignore your vibrating wrist no matter how busy you are in the office :)

Soldato
Not sure it counts, but I have a CRT-D (bi-ventricular pacemaker/combined defibrillator) implanted. Clever gizzmo, monitors and downloads info while I sleep. Paces me 100% of the time, delivers therapeutic pacing when I go out of rhythm. Should it not work, shocks the heart when needs must.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom