Dismissed Over Dogs Death.......

Soldato
that's a shame to hear. but ultimately you'd have to admit your situation is quite rare, relatively speaking - no pun intended

Not sure it's all that rare. I've had relatives pass away, and not felt much in the way of external emotion. Just didn't think of myself as much of a crier, despite loving them very much. However a couple of years ago, our Lab/Collie cross, Bella, had to be put down - and I was in bits for a while. I quite literally broke down in tears over it. And I'm not ashamed about that in the slightest - I loved her to bits.

She was put down on a Monday. I phoned my boss, told him, and said I was going to take a couple of days off. He was understanding, said that (regrettably) it would come out of my holiday, and I was fine with that. Again, I feel absolutely no shame in mourning the loss of a pet.

Soldato
Not sure it's all that rare. I've had relatives pass away, and not felt much in the way of external emotion. Just didn't think of myself as much of a crier, despite loving them very much. However a couple of years ago, our Lab/Collie cross, Bella, had to be put down - and I was in bits for a while. I quite literally broke down in tears over it. And I'm not ashamed about that in the slightest - I loved her to bits.

She was put down on a Monday. I phoned my boss, told him, and said I was going to take a couple of days off. He was understanding, said that (regrettably) it would come out of my holiday, and I was fine with that. Again, I feel absolutely no shame in mourning the loss of a pet.
and nor should you feel shame, grief affects everyone differently but without going looking for stats on the internet i'd imagine your lack of emotional response to a family members death would be rare. certainly when compared to the number of those who would feel or display emotional distress at such a loss.

out of curiosity, how would you have handled it if your boss had advised that work was snowed under and they couldn't afford to let you have a couple of days off under those circumstances? would you have risked the sack over it?

edit: when you say relatives, how close are we talking? i've probably not been clear in my previous posts but i was always talking about immediate family members (i.e. children/siblings/parents) rather than Great Aunt Joan who lived out Mongolia :p

Man of Honour
[QUOTE="ttaskmaster, post:
I shed not one tear for any of my human family that died.[/QUOTE]

———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Strangely, or maybe not, nor did I, in my lifetime, I’ve lost both grandmothers, one grandfather, an uncle and aunt or two, and my mother and father, I only remember a feeling of numbness when my parents died, kind of “what should I do?”, “What will people expect me to do?” “Will it look bad that I don’t appear heartbroken?”
I loved them both, but for whatever reason, I didn’t feel bereft when they died, the world still turned, the sun went down, then next day it rose again.
However, in my late twenties, an eleven or twelve y.o. cousin was hit by a bus, and had a foot amputated.
When my mother told me of it, I cried like a baby, I think that I was crying for him, for the pain he must have endured, and for his mother, my mother’s youngest sister.

Soldato
out of curiosity, how would you have handled it if your boss had advised that work was snowed under and they couldn't afford to let you have a couple of days off under those circumstances? would you have risked the sack over it?

I'm not entirely sure, but at the time, I think I might have been willing to risk that, yes. Luckily the relationship with my boss is such that it wasn't a problem.

edit: when you say relatives, how close are we talking? i've probably not been clear in my previous posts but i was always talking about immediate family members (i.e. children/siblings/parents) rather than Great Aunt Joan who lived out Mongolia :p

Grandparents, aunts and uncles - so not immediate, but also not distant enough that I didn't have regular interaction with them.

Permabanned
this could be me in the future we're having a puppy soon.
Hi
Depending on what you get, a puppy is very hard work, we have had one for 4 weeks, a collie and she chews everything and everyone.

On an o.t. note I was banned from the Brexit thread after I was given the same crap , it's not so much a Brexit thread as a remainer mutual appreciation thread. Should be renamed

Caporegime
The new tyranny is over emotional children masquerading as adults, they can't tolerate losing and not getting their own way. I doubt she was unable to work just unwilling and because she didn't get her own way and in fact got fired she's run to the papers to try to 'win' another way to protect her fragile ego.

It sort of reminds you of a particular section of the country with regards to a referendum doesn't it?

Soldato
I'm not entirely sure, but at the time, I think I might have been willing to risk that, yes.
my apologies, 'what if' questions are somewhat of a guessing game. interesting though that looking back you think you would have entertained the possibility of losing your livelihood over a pet. not sure that's a risk i would be prepared to take. that said, of course neither of us knows if that indeed would have been the path you would have followed. perhaps if presented with the harsh reality of facing the sack for not turning up to work you may have thought differently, perhaps not. thankfully it's irrelevant.
Luckily the relationship with my boss is such that it wasn't a problem.
indeed, unfortunately not all bosses are as flexible or considerate.
Grandparents, aunts and uncles - so not immediate, but also not distant enough that I didn't have regular interaction with them.
ah ok, as i said i was more referring to immediate family.

Soldato
The new tyranny is over emotional children masquerading as adults, they can't tolerate losing and not getting their own way. I doubt she was unable to work just unwilling and because she didn't get her own way and in fact got fired she's run to the papers to try to 'win' another way to protect her fragile ego.

It sort of reminds you of a particular section of the country with regards to a referendum doesn't it?

Jesus Christ. Have a day off mate.

Man of Honour
I once knew someone who took a week off work because her pet snake died. She was 40 and working as a teacher :confused:

I think a snake takes the cake, I mean a snake doesn't display any emotion, it simply slithers and sticks its tongue out every couple of seconds.

Also having seen the documentary Snakes On A Plane, I can tell you with great certainty that snakes are indeed, annoying!

Soldato
I think a snake takes the cake, I mean a snake doesn't display any emotion, it simply slithers and sticks its tongue out every couple of seconds.

Also having seen the documentary Snakes On A Plane, I can tell you with great certainty that snakes are indeed, annoying!
I’d rather a snake with no emotions than a damn cat with fake ones. Horrid things fit for nothing other than feeding to the aforementioned snakes! :p

Soldato
I was physically and mentally unable to go into work when our cat died (13 years). It really hurts you, they are a part of the family.

Back
Top Bottom