hot hatches 6k

Soldato
There is only one V6 Clio ???

And 6k they ain’t being near those prices for years all over 20k and good ones over 30k.

Crap car as a daily also!

By version I meant phase 1 or phase 2.

What is considered a hot hatch as cars like the golf are considered boring? There’s reasons why the breadvan CTR was considered the best in its era of class, hell there’s a reason the 106 gti was considered the best in its era too.

Soldato
By version I meant phase 1 or phase 2.

What is considered a hot hatch as cars like the golf are considered boring? There’s reasons why the breadvan CTR was considered the best in its era of class, hell there’s a reason the 106 gti was considered the best in its era too.

It doesn't have to be interesting to be a "hot hatch" I guess. But they kinda started to get boring when they got heavy and uninvolved. They stuffed them full of gimmicky toys, auto gearboxes etc and make them feel more like exec cars.

People liked the mk7 Fiesta ST because it's no nonsense, cheap, drives really well and took it back to how a hot hatch should be.

Last edited:
Associate
I was in a similar boat coming from a 325ti and ended up with a mk5 Gti, very happy with it, does family stuff if needed and the fun stuff other times.

Associate
Too many people are still under the impression more BHP is better.. a BMW/Audi/Merc marketing mans wet dream.

The best Hot hatches are not filled to 400 odd bhp with power but have just enough to make it a laugh, same with the likes of the MX5 and new Alpina - enough power and a great chassi are what you want.

Soldato
It doesn't have to be interesting to be a "hot hatch" I guess. But they kinda started to get boring when they got heavy and uninvolved. They stuffed them full of gimmicky toys, auto gearboxes etc and make them feel more like exec cars.

People liked the mk7 Fiesta ST because it's no nonsense, cheap, drives really well and took it back to how a hot hatch should be.

I suppose, I always wanted an Fiesta ST in the mk6 as it was the mk6 fiesta I first owned, but over time when I could afford things I had a corolla T Sport which was faster and found a corolla better than a fiesta overall, it wasn’t a hot hatch either, but it wasn’t your average hatch back, just subtle styling and better handling.

I will still echo you can have fun in any car if you Make it fun, I had fun in a 307 1.4hdi on steel wheels, granted your limited to how much you can push them, but a hot hatch is meant to be fun while being practical, so it’s the fun factor more than anything, we not Americans, straight line performance isn’t the main focus.

Caporegime
Too many people are still under the impression more BHP is better.. a BMW/Audi/Merc marketing mans wet dream.

The best Hot hatches are not filled to 400 odd bhp with power but have just enough to make it a laugh, same with the likes of the MX5 and new Alpina - enough power and a great chassi are what you want.

Alpine* ;)

It is true though. My MX5 with about 115HP was more "fun" than my Volvo with about 300HP.

Around the back roads my 42HP Nippa is great fun now it has proper seats.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That 6k has now gone to 7k. Im struggling to find anything nice tbh with legit FSH that’s a reasonable distance near me to check out. I’m based in margate and there’s nothing in kent the only time you see something nice worth checking out is like 3-4 away. Which I’m not going that far to potentially view a dog.

The fiesta st I didn’t consider really due to the size. I’ve sat in one but haven’t driven. Am I missing out on something special? I’ve driven a couple 330bhp focus sts but I have my doubts thinking they will be a headache in maintaining with that power and mods As a daily runner.

Soldato
6-7k would get you into a pretty immaculate, low mileage R26 F1 Megane. Could probably squeeze into a 250 for that money but it won't be as tidy as the R26.

Soldato
As a mk5 gti owner I'd suggest that, or if you can find one, a ED30 version as it has the bigger k04 turbo and is 240bhp vs 200bhp.

A remap at RTech will see those figures jump from 200bhp to 230-250bhp and the ko4 from 240bhp to 290-310bhp. Remap would be around the £370-400 mark I think, and if you get the DSG which I recommend it'll need a map too at around £170.

Lots of mods out there for them, great scene, interiors are a lot nicer than some of the similar aged hot hatches. Performance and mpg sit in the middle of the band for hot hatches of the age but the mods and interior swayed it for me, plus coming from a Corrado g60 :)

Mine's slightly modified, average 26mpg on a spirited commute, 20mpg on a really fast run but general commute I'm getting 34-38mpg over a 26 mile mixed journey. Keeps up with generally faster cars and is just great fun to drive :)

Associate
OP
As a mk5 gti owner I'd suggest that, or if you can find one, a ED30 version as it has the bigger k04 turbo and is 240bhp vs 200bhp.

A remap at RTech will see those figures jump from 200bhp to 230-250bhp and the ko4 from 240bhp to 290-310bhp. Remap would be around the £370-400 mark I think, and if you get the DSG which I recommend it'll need a map too at around £170.

Lots of mods out there for them, great scene, interiors are a lot nicer than some of the similar aged hot hatches. Performance and mpg sit in the middle of the band for hot hatches of the age but the mods and interior swayed it for me, plus coming from a Corrado g60 :)

Mine's slightly modified, average 26mpg on a spirited commute, 20mpg on a really fast run but general commute I'm getting 34-38mpg over a 26 mile mixed journey. Keeps up with generally faster cars and is just great fun to drive :)

I’ve been looking at the ed30 but they seem to be out of my price range. Unless over 100k mileage the lower examples on eBay at least are near 9k :S

Soldato
I’ve been looking at the ed30 but they seem to be out of my price range. Unless over 100k mileage the lower examples on eBay at least are near 9k :S

Nothing wrong with higher milage ones as long as they've been serviced often etc, my gti's at 116k and still strong :) you may be better checking the mk5 facebook pages out, there are some selling pages and it's easier to find the history from previous owner posts. I've seen them starting around £6k which is excellent value, my gti set me back £4900 but has nearly every optional extra :) There's also the Pirelli version, which is basically an ED30 with tyre print seats

They are the limited edition ones so they do hold value, that's the problem I had. I could chose an ED30 with the bigger turbo etc but I feel that modifying it would actually devalue it, their value is going to in being kept standard. Or, save a few thousand on a GTi and spend the money saved on a hybrid k04, forging and other mods and look at getting around 450bhp out of it.

Soldato
6-7k would get you into a pretty immaculate, low mileage R26 F1 Megane.

While a great car to drive, the interiors are suicide inducingly dull and don't get me started on the pathetic stereo/speakers. I could only put up with mine for a few months before I looked elsewhere.

The drive/handling was fantastic though.

Back
Top Bottom