Treating a newish deck (oil vs stain)

Soldato
The cheapest bleach you can find in the supermarket. Much better than any of the decking cleaner that costs a fortune and takes a lot more work to use

Is using bleach in a garden ok environmentally? Seems a bit dodgy. I mean I doubt whatevers in a Ronseal cleaner is that good either, but at least it's designed for the job.

Soldato
Is using bleach in a garden ok environmentally? Seems a bit dodgy. I mean I doubt whatevers in a Ronseal cleaner is that good either, but at least it's designed for the job.

Decking cleaner IME is rubbish and you really have to scrub like crazy. You’re not bleaching the garden, you pour bleach on the deck and scrub it and the deck soaks it up. I use the dirt cheap value stuff so isn’t very strong and it works so much better with a lot less hard scrubbing.

The other option is to use a pressure washer on the deck

Soldato
Decking cleaner IME is rubbish and you really have to scrub like crazy. You’re not bleaching the garden, you pour bleach on the deck and scrub it and the deck soaks it up. I use the dirt cheap value stuff so isn’t very strong and it works so much better with a lot less hard scrubbing.

The other option is to use a pressure washer on the deck

Ok thanks, I'll try a bit of bleach on a piece and see how it comes out.

Soldato
I’ve read that before but my deck is 12 years old and it still looks great. I’ve also read not to pressure wash a deck as it lifts the grain and shortens the life of the wood.
It depends on the pressure, you can pressure was a car, but too high it will take the paint off! Same with wood... didnt think to mention, seems obvious.

Dunno what to say about your own experience with household bleach on wood, it does damage lignin. Maybe yours was well oiled before ever being bleached or something?

Soldato
It depends on the pressure, you can pressure was a car, but too high it will take the paint off! Same with wood... didnt think to mention, seems obvious.

The average retail pressure washer you can buy isn’t going to blast the paint off your car but can probably damage your deck. It is quite obvious using too much pressure on anything can damage it, the question would be what is too much pressure for wood. That isn’t obvious without damaging it

Last edited:

R3X

R3X

Soldato
Conflicting advise with the used car engine oil and then no bleach :)

Seems to work for some and not, but I have read used car engine oil is excellent for protecting wood but only on fences and generally last longer then most brands or oil/stain etc.

Read good things about Barretine wood treatment products, that screwfix decking oil I read some guys used that on their fences and it fell off after a year. The barretine oil last few years longer 2-3 I read.

Decking looks awesome but patio slabs sound more pricey and harder to do but easier to maintain (good firm sweep every now and then)

Soldato
Quietly followed the advice in here and started my deck yesterday. Gave it a good pressure wash, hard brush, soft brush and even a hoover. Then bought a Wagner Deck/Fence Sprayer and gave it a coat of Screwfix No Nonsense Pine Oil. Never used one before, definitely overbaked it on the first 2 boards at one end, and it looks patchy across the rest. Will do a second coat this morning that should sort it out.

Back
Top Bottom