• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Decided on the Radeon 5700XT. What PSU?

Soldato
I'm going to buy a new 5700XT probably the new Gigabyte or power color. But should i buy a new PSU? I have an old modular enermax liberty 620 watt. It was quite highly rated at the time but any recommendations welcome. Also what's the best new 5700XT although not the silly money ones not the 499 ones.

Soldato
I'm going to buy a new 5700XT probably the new Gigabyte or power color. But should i buy a new PSU? I have an old modular enermax liberty 620 watt. It was quite highly rated at the time but any recommendations welcome. Also what's the best new 5700XT although not the silly money ones not the 499 ones.

Depends on lots of factors. How old is old? Is it a good quality PSU? What else is in your system? I'm running an AX750, 8 years old but has decent Seasonic guts. At 750W it's probably overkill but AFAIK they are most efficient at 50% load. Without knowing more is look at Seasonic based or Superflower PSUs 600-750W range.

As for the 5700XT if you want cooler and quieter Sapphire Pulse and Powercolor look good options. Shop around as I got a Red Devil Special Edition for £459.99, worth it to me for cool and quiet out of the box.

Permabanned

The PSU requirements for the different RX 5700 XT vary depending on the partner. Between 600-650-700W.

I'd suggest the cheapest reference RX 5700 XT because you can undervolt it, and that PSU:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £455.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)​

Soldato
The PSU requirements for the different RX 5700 XT vary depending on the partner. Between 600-650-700W.

I'd suggest the cheapest reference RX 5700 XT because you can undervolt it, and that PSU:

My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £455.48 (includes shipping: £10.50)

Look for Gold/Platinum power supplies not Bronze. And better spend £20 extra to buy something bigger that survives better than cheapen that.
Something like this
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/supe...old-modular-power-supply-black-ca-061-sf.html

Got the Superflower 1000W Platinum 5 years ago for £126 and still going strong. And it does get's pushed hard, considering the hardware used over the years and the overclocking.

Soldato
OP
Cheers for the help. My enermax was rated gold I seem to remember. I'll see how it goes then upgrade if it struggles. I'll be changing board ram and cpu in near future too though to keep it updated.

Permabanned
I've just bought the powerclolor red devil card from ocuk I'm not bothered about a free mouse Matt so got standard edition. I'm pretty hyped lol.

Just three comments above, you said that you didn't want to spend silly money, but went for it anyways... ?

Soldato
Just three comments above, you said that you didn't want to spend silly money, but went for it anyways... ?

£499 is probably silly money to most. Cool and quiet are worth a few quid too imo. The OP may have also up his budget after the initial request.

Permabanned
£499 is probably silly money to most. Cool and quiet are worth a few quid too imo. The OP may have also up his budget after the initial request.

£499 is ok if the performance was there. It is not. Look, when they ask premium money, you have to ask premium quality in return.
You get new manufacturing process and expect top-tier performance. Instead, you get a card that is equivalent to the third or forth of the competition.

Soldato
You could get away with a lot less than 650w. I'm running a Vega64 and overclocked 6700k on 650w and ran a rx480 on a 350w for a while.

They only put those high recommendations on because of people using cheap PSUs. Which can't maintain the output they are claiming they can once they get hot.

Soldato
OP
Question for Gibbo or another ocuk person. When i placed the order it wasnt linked to my forum account so i have to pay shipping cost. Now ive linked it can i receive my order free shipping? or is it too late? its a pre order.

Update ive sent a web note regards to delivery.

Last edited:
Soldato
You could get away with a lot less than 650w. I'm running a Vega64 and overclocked 6700k on 650w and ran a rx480 on a 350w for a while.

They only put those high recommendations on because of people using cheap PSUs. Which can't maintain the output they are claiming they can once they get hot.

Indeed.

Possibly a bigger factor though; it's a one size fits all recommendation. You could be running an i5 9400T on an ITX board, with two sticks of RAM and an NVME drive. Or you could be running a water-cooled, overlooked 9900k on an EATX board with 8 sticks of RAM and a stack of storage drives. The recommendation covers both use cases. But the power draw of each is vastly different.

In truth, most mid-range PCs will be well under 400W peak power draw (without overclocking). Buying 650W+ is simply the easy option; you never have to worry about whether there's enough power. On the other side of things, you get people over on the SFF forums calculating power draw down to the Watt, and occasionally frying stuff because they got it wrong :D:eek:

Last edited:
Soldato
He bought the best 5700XT known to man though.

If £50 is an issue buying a £400 GPU really shouldn't need considered ;) Well worth out of the box cool and quiet imo. Of course you could pay another £100 to get an equivalent 2070S, I think he made the right choice, but then I would say that :p

Back
Top Bottom