• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

1080ti Custom vs 2070S FE vs 5700XT 50th AE Bench Thread

Soldato
OP
Sounds like the 5700xt isn't going to get any closer to the 2070s then?

slow down cowboy, i haven’t completed my testing yet and the only big delta i can find is in the division. there’s not much legs in my 2070S fe beyond stock.

Soldato
Depends on the silicon lottery, too. I mean this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r49Ijb7c5Ic got it running stable at 2.2GHz on a stock cooler. Whilst Hardware Unboxed, I believe, hit a wall at 2050MHz (on water!).

There is deffo more mileage in the core it's the power limit, when I try push mine I notice power limit flick on screen and it then crashes

Soldato
OP
Wonder what the difference between yourd and mine at 2050 would be?

my fe will throttle down to about 1905-1925 due to heat soak and even then the card will be scalding hot. i only really count 2050 as a watercooled clock on the fe.

i will happily give it a go next week and post the results but even at stock, the 2070S fe cooler is at the limits and the card will scald your hands if you touch it. i don’t see higher power limit as viable on the fe but ymmv with custom boards.

Soldato
Depends on the silicon lottery, too. I mean this guy: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r49Ijb7c5Ic got it running stable at 2.2GHz on a stock cooler. Whilst Hardware Unboxed, I believe, hit a wall at 2050MHz (on water!).

HU benchmark baffled me. Because my AE is operating at 2000-2050 and have seen clocks all way to 2300 with the MPTool. But 2300 is unsustainable with the blower.
Until Tuesday when I have the CPU block and build the loop.

Associate
HU benchmark baffled me. Because my AE is operating at 2000-2050 and have seen clocks all way to 2300 with the MPTool. But 2300 is unsustainable with the blower.
Until Tuesday when I have the CPU block and build the loop.
Timmy Joe also mentioned 2300 spikes here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0eYigMcgpg but according to him this custom cooler endeavour isn't worth the time. It's likely that he'd lost the lottery on his chip, but still.

Soldato
OP
2150 with a +50% at 1.25mv is where we are heading as a realistic expectation under water with the AE anything else is down to the chip.

The problem with navi under air is not the maximum boost clocks it is sustained clocks, if you can get a 2150 sustained clock then it will beat a 2070S FE no problem. The nvidia card somehow manages to keep at a higher clock range.

Soldato
OP
I wonder how he gets the core speed so constant mine is considerably cooler and still jumps up and down 100MHz or more.

that’s a binned card imho either won the jackpot or bought five and returned four. that card is reporting 90C temps whilst doing it.

Soldato
OP
i have been heat soak testing the 5700XT in my triple rad loop with the division 2 in order to trace a potential overlay crash with wattman osd and i can say that the 5700XT pumps out much more heat then i expected (+50% pl) but after extended gameplay using the latest afterburner i have no freezing at all with the osd overlay enabled.

i will retry the wattman config later today just to see if it is repeatable.

i think that the red devil will actually run much cooler under liquid cooling due to the higher quality vrms.

Soldato
i have been heat soak testing the 5700XT in my triple rad loop with the division 2 in order to trace a potential overlay crash with wattman osd and i can say that the 5700XT pumps out much more heat then i expected (+50% pl) but after extended gameplay using the latest afterburner i have no freezing at all with the osd overlay enabled.

i will retry the wattman config later today just to see if it is repeatable.

i think that the red devil will actually run much cooler under liquid cooling due to the higher quality vrms.

There is a correlation between the power consumed and the surface area of the chip, when we factor in that there is a constant. The thermal paste & copper heat transfer rates.
5700XT is half the size of the smallest GPU we ever had at that power consumption levels. All other parts at that size were using half the power.

So with smaller surface area, and a constant rate of heat transfer between silicon to metal you see where the problem is.

To give you an example, if NVidia just shrinks Turing, expect them to run at 100C or more, given their power consumption levels today, when using the chip fully with RT & Tensor cores operating.
Because the need to dissipate the same amount of generated heat, at half the surface area is the issue here.

Soldato
There is a correlation between the power consumed and the surface area of the chip, when we factor in that there is a constant. The thermal paste & copper heat transfer rates.
5700XT is half the size of the smallest GPU we ever had at that power consumption levels. All other parts at that size were using half the power.

So with smaller surface area, and a constant rate of heat transfer between silicon to metal you see where the problem is.

To give you an example, if NVidia just shrinks Turing, expect them to run at 100C or more, given their power consumption levels today, when using the chip fully with RT & Tensor cores operating.
Because the need to dissipate the same amount of generated heat, at half the surface area is the issue here.

That's a very good point. Probably one of the reasons we've not seen 7nm Nvidia yet.

Soldato
At last someone else who understands physics in this forum :D

I try :) One of the reasons I was happy to go AMD despite perceived issues versus their competitors larger processes. I expect both Intel and Nvidia will have similar constraints when they hit 7nm and below.

Back
Top Bottom