What you're View of a ban of Hands free mobile phone use

Man of Honour
I'm against it, mostly because we have plenty of other actions to take regarding road safety that will have much more signficant impacts that we aren't doing, which suggests that road safety isn't actually the motivation here.

Tinkering round the edges while ignoring major unnecessary risks isn't actually going to save many lives, it smacks of 'we should do something, and this is something' rather than genuine evidence based policy making.

Soldato
That first BBC article reports of the young boy being killed crossing the street and claims that it was because the driver was driving hand free. But nowhere in the text or video does it say exactly how it happened and if it could have even been prevented if the driver wasn't chatting hands free.

It says the kid was killed walking into the street, surely that could have just as easily happened if the kid walked in front of any car when crossing the street? I talk hands free on occasion and I'm still looking at the street non stop when on a call, it's not like texting, which IMO is magnitudes more dangerous.

Soldato
Pointless when cars are now coming with ipads installed for controls which are far worse as they can't even be operated properly without staring at them unlike tactile buttons

I don't think I ever go a car journey without seeing someone still holding their phone to their ear or obviously texting spending more time looking down than up

Soldato
OP
I don't think I ever go a car journey without seeing someone still holding their phone to their ear or obviously texting spending more time looking down than up
What I don't understand is when I see something like a new high end range rover with the driver holding his mobile phone to his ear :confused:
As something like that would have a hand free system built in for sure so why are they holding there mobile phone to there ear :confused::confused::confused:

Soldato
Yes exactly, I can’t see the difference between the two.

The distinction i've heard put forward before is that a passenger can see what you see and so will naturally make allowances as you approach a busy junction for example, leaving you to concentrate where necessary, whereas someone talking to you on hands free will carry on regardless.

Caporegime
The distinction i've heard put forward before is that a passenger can see what you see and so will naturally make allowances as you approach a busy junction for example, leaving you to concentrate where necessary, whereas someone talking to you on hands free will carry on regardless.
So we should only ban talking to blind passengers? ;)

Man of Honour
If people are serious about tackling Road casualties, then you need to be looking at dangerous forms of transport and addressing them.

Page 8 shows this by looking at casualties and fatilities per passenger mile.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjALegQIBBAC&usg=AOvVaw29clHkDQV8E9pwv7YfM2_f

Someone who was actually serious about road safety would be looking at banning motorbikes as unnecessary and incredibly dangerous, and enforcing physical separation of cars from bicycles and pedestrians where ever possible (such as banning cyclists from roads where there are designated cycle paths and fencing most paths apart from a designated crossing points)

Instead, we get a pointless war on the motorist that utterly fails to improve road safety but makes it appear action is being taken.

Soldato
Be easier to make mobile blockers compulsory in cars.

You realise that a wide-band RF jammer powerful enough to isolate a mobile from its’ network would cause enormous interference for everyone else trying to use that network for several hundred metres in all directions.

The RA, the DTI and OFCOM would never allow it.

Soldato
Also children. Very distracting.

Agreed, I propose a new law that all children must only travel by motor vehicle in the boot to ensure they don't distract the driver.

Actually, why isn’t smoking in cars banned? Trying to light a number of small fires whilst in control of a motor vehicle is really very challenging!

Not forgetting the risk when throwing the butt out the window, when it can potentially be blown back in and set fire to something in the back seat. That can be pretty distracting.

Soldato
OP
Actually, why isn’t smoking in cars banned? Trying to light a number of small fires whilst in control of a motor vehicle is really very challenging!
When I used to smoke in cars I never had any problems lighting up

But when the lit red end drops off or you drop the fag and it lands between your legs while driving :eek: :p

Soldato
I'm neither for or against any ban, though I did use Bluetooth on head unit when I was a field engineer all the time and it was useful, also called mates etc on the drive home a lot. Now I do half my driving in a car with a cassette player and retractable aerial so can't phone and drive. However, what way is the law enforceable if I call someone before setting off and put my phone on speaker and just put it on the passenger seat, which I do the odd time to let the Mrs know I'm on route home..? I'm not technically using any hands free device, I'm not technically operating my phone as it was set up before the engine went on and I'm not touching it?

Soldato
OP
Am guessing they should have thought of making bans like this before millions of cars were made and sold for years with hand free built in to there dash board computer systems and having hand free steering wheel controls..

Back
Top Bottom