How do you change the display for the BIOS in a dual display setup

Lee

Lee

Associate
Done some looking but can't find an answer to this one.

I have 2 monitors attached to my PC (GTX1070, X570 Taichi, 3900x). My primary 1440p monitor is connected to the VGA card via display port and my secondary 1080p monitor is connected via DVI. The POST and BIOS display on my secondary display.

How do I change this so the POST and BIOS display on my primary 1440p monitor ?

Soldato

I have 2 monitors attached to my PC (GTX1070, X570 Taichi, 3900x). My primary 1440p monitor is connected to the VGA card via display port and my secondary 1080p monitor is connected via DVI. The POST and BIOS display on my secondary display.

Been awhile but iirc the gpu has a set order of outputs it displays from. So like left to right or some such, Might pay to say what brand gpu you have or even ask in the gpu section if someone doesnt reply here.

TrM

TrM

Associate

From my experience hdmi is allways before dp for bios then from right to left on display ports I have to pull or turn off my hdmi display for it to show on my display port easy way is just to pull the hdmi display when booting up

Caporegime
From my experience hdmi is allways before dp for bios then from right to left on display ports I have to pull or turn off my hdmi display for it to show on my display port easy way is just to pull the hdmi display when booting up

Yeah, annoying but that's how I do it.

Soldato
Seems like a storm in a teacup for the 5 seconds every once in a while that it happens, but if it annoys you that much, why not just swap the cables over? You then need to adjust the display setup in your OS, but it’ll work as you want.

Lee

Lee

Associate
OP
I can't swap cables, one monitor connects via DVI (no display port on this monitor) the other via display port. It's not a life changer, but I would prefer the BIOS to display on my main monitor. Seems strange that there is not just a simple setting in the BIOS to do it.

Soldato
I can't swap cables, one monitor connects via DVI (no display port on this monitor) the other via display port. It's not a life changer, but I would prefer the BIOS to display on my main monitor. Seems strange that there is not just a simple setting in the BIOS to do it.

Sorry I took it that you had connected the primary over VGA because it’s what you had to hand at the time. It’s not a setting in the motherboard BIOS because it’s not a motherboard function, it would need access to the GPU BIOS to change the default port order.

Soldato
Ah, ok cheers. Any idea on how you access that ?
This isn't something you'll be able to change I expect. It's probably related to having reliable behaviour at low level system startup. Before drivers, or even bootstrapping of motherboard BIOS.

FYI when we refer to VGA BIOS we mean the code itself embedded on the card's BIOS chip, there's isn't a graphics BIOS menu like a motherboard has a BIOS menu.

Back
Top Bottom