Samsung 49'' inch monitor (CRG9) release date 22 April and cost about 1.400£

Associate
I'm constantly flip flopping choosing a monitor right now. This is one option. I really like this monitor because it would give me a wide fov for my SIM racing (mostly iracing on pc) but would be less useful for console gaming. I would prefer IPS (34kg950f) but obviously that's a lot smaller. Other IPS are too dear or low refresh.

The thing I mostly worry about with VA is the black smear. I tried my son's Asus XG32VQ and while I loved the contrast and colours and 144hz high refresh, the black smearing in games like dirt rally (night driving) was really annoying. Unfortunately that's the only reference point I have. Anyone know if this would be better? How do you owners find it?

Thats a really hard question to answer as your sensitivity to VA smearing is different to other people. My main rig is the Alienware IPS and I use other VA monitors as my main. I don't notice any major difference in that regard and also the longer you use the Va the more use to it you become.

This monitor is built for FPS / Racing / MMOs in my opinion though. If you play console gaming I would recommend a 4K 43 monitors one of which is out at the end of this month . They also have their own issues..

Soldato
I have an alienware IPS but fitting this on a desk with speakers is just too difficult. Otherwise I would have been tempted to get it.

Caporegime
I have an alienware IPS but fitting this on a desk with speakers is just too difficult. Otherwise I would have been tempted to get it.

Logitech G560's are on offer atm and *should* just fit underneath it but tbh for the very little I use my speakers it's probably not worth me getting them.

Associate
I'm constantly flip flopping choosing a monitor right now. This is one option. I really like this monitor because it would give me a wide fov for my SIM racing (mostly iracing on pc) but would be less useful for console gaming. I would prefer IPS (34kg950f) but obviously that's a lot smaller. Other IPS are too dear or low refresh.

The thing I mostly worry about with VA is the black smear. I tried my son's Asus XG32VQ and while I loved the contrast and colours and 144hz high refresh, the black smearing in games like dirt rally (night driving) was really annoying. Unfortunately that's the only reference point I have. Anyone know if this would be better? How do you owners find it?

I cant compare with the Asus but I use to own a 32hg70 (that I send back because of the transition issues) and the transition times on the crg9 are way better and this at most refresh rate for the freesync range.
But its still not as good as a TN or the best ips panel.

Sorry my amswer is not more complete but that is something you need to try for yourself to check if its acceptable :(.

Associate
Logitech G560's are on offer atm and *should* just fit underneath it but tbh for the very little I use my speakers it's probably not worth me getting them.

I use a creative Katana. If you look on my screenshots i put up earlier - it fits perfectly. I don't really watch movies any more on the monitor as prefer the TV OLED and surround sound with a comfortable sofa experience.

Associate
Sorry my amswer is not more complete but that is something you need to try for yourself to check if its acceptable :(.

Thanks for the info, sounds encouraging. I'd love to see it in person but don't know of any shops up here in Scotland that stock it. I really need a kind OCUKer in Scotland to let me come round their house and watch them playing games on it. :)

Caporegime
On a more serious note, is anyone having problems with this monitor and waking it from sleep? It's waking initially but then black screens. Bit of a pain turning it off before putting the computer to sleep but at least it's a solution (for now). Using the official cable and tried both DP ports.

Associate
Iceman thank you for helping me !! On the new Monitor Crg9 I had the same black screen issues and read your post and disabled windows fast start and its fixed it. Was very annoying

You also have to go into the monitor settings and make it's not set to turn off after a fixed number of hours. As that would ofc require you to switch it on again. Mines been fine now

Soldato
I have some Edifier speakers. Do you think they will be alright just on the sides of the monitor. I don't really want to sacrifice sound by putting them behind it nor downgrade my sound setup to accomdate the larger FOV screen.

Soldato
My desk easily supports large speakers either side. How big is your desk?

haha maybe not as big as yours. I'll attach a few photos. I'm so tempted to get this at present. I get the sense of falling when I fall in 21:9 so I can only imagine it in 32:9. I love that feeling of motion.

Associate
I'm not a racing games kinda guy but since having this monitor been addicted to Forza horizon 4.

Native 32 9 support is just breathtaking. The new mortal Kombat this Res also just stunning.its like a mini arcade center at home

Soldato
I'm not a racing games kinda guy but since having this monitor been addicted to Forza horizon 4.

Native 32 9 support is just breathtaking. The new mortal Kombat this Res also just stunning.its like a mini arcade center at home

I can really imagine. Have you been tempted to ditch the AW3418DW?

Soldato
The problem is not all games support 32 9 so it's nice having the Alienware 34. It does take some getting use to though back to 34. MMOs at 32 9 sublime
I keep hearing this, re:support.

Does a 21:9 resolution on 32:9 look that bad? Support is one of the thingks I'm slightly worried about, as most games I've googled have little evidence of 32:9.

Soldato
I keep hearing this, re:support.

Does a 21:9 resolution on 32:9 look that bad? Support is one of the thingks I'm slightly worried about, as most games I've googled have little evidence of 32:9.

If a game doesn't support 32:9, you can just use it as a 21:9 34". The physical dimensions when displaying 21:9 are identical to that of a 34" ultrawide.

Soldato
If a game doesn't support 32:9, you can just use it as a 21:9 34". The physical dimensions when displaying 21:9 are identical to that of a 34" ultrawide.
Yup. I'm trying to decide if it'd be jarring having the edges unavailable though.

Btw, on the CRG9, if you downscale the resolution to the CHG's resolution, how does it look? Still playable? I'm just thinking in regard to GPU constraints as sadly I have a measly 2080 and I'm sure this screen deserves a 2080ti.

Back
Top Bottom