2 router setup issue

Associate
Hi Guys,

I'm hoping somebody could help with this networking issue. I'm trying to host a game server, but I just can't seem to get it working.

As a bit of background, I used to be with Virgin Media and used their router in "Modem Mode", to provide Internet access for my ASUS router. I had my Port Forwarding set up for my game server and everything worked fine.

The issue I have now, is that I'm no longer with Virgin Media and have a TalkTalk router that doesn't appear to have a "Modem Mode". My ASUS router got around this by automatically creating a new subnet (192.168.2.*). My Port Forwarding rules still exist, although I needed to change the IP to my servers new Internal IP.

I've used https://portchecker.co and it shows that the ports I need are open. Maybe I need to sort some kind of route because of having 2 subnets?

In my TalkTalk router settings, I added the IP of my ASUS router to the DMZ, but that didn't seem to help.

Thanks.

Last edited:
Soldato
This is a VDSL 'fibre' connection?

Does TalkTalk make the connection user name and password available?

Assuming the answer to both is yes I'd get hold of an HG612 modem (c. £15) and use that with the Asus.

If you don't you'll be stuck with double NAT, and that's a pain in the backside (as you're finding).

Alternatively, just use the TalkTalk router. If the Asus has better wireless stick it into AP mode and use it like that.

Associate
OP
This is a VDSL 'fibre' connection?

Does TalkTalk make the connection user name and password available?

Assuming the answer to both is yes I'd get hold of an HG612 modem (c. £15) and use that with the Asus.

If you don't you'll be stuck with double NAT, and that's a pain in the backside (as you're finding).

Alternatively, just use the TalkTalk router. If the Asus has better wireless stick it into AP mode and use it like that.

Thanks very much for your reply.

I can see NAT option in the TalkTalk router, but it doesn't let me turn it off. I did a Google and it looks like it's been like that for some time now:
https://community.talktalk.co.uk/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Hub-new-firware-NAT/td-p/2311887/page/2

I may well consider your suggestion of the modem.

Back
Top Bottom