• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

The Ryzen 5 3600 Discussion Thread

Associate
If your board has it unlocked you will find it in the BIOS, In Ryzen Master it looks like this (First Image) if its not going to work because the board says "No #### off!!!!" it will tell you what you see in the second image, so you can easily find out by setting decoupled mode in RM, setting a higher IF and apply it.

QF8A0y6.jpg.png

MzYC4yP.jpg.png

Ah I see yeah it doesn't let me change it but I did notice with everything on default memory clock is 1600 and fabric clock is 1800, so maybe it's doing it anyway via the BIOS?

I did find a 3600 preset in the mobo that I enabled and it seems to work...ran a 3DMark and a couple cinebenches it didn't crash. Got 3716 on cinebench R20 with enhanced mode 4 + the 3600 preset.

Has anybody had issues with MSI boards?

i have a b450 mortar and i installed the CPU last night and it benchmarked fine, i then enabled game mode and XMP profile, it would do the benchmark demo but as the actual benchmark was about to start, the whole PC would just shut off. i turned game boost off and rebooted but now i am getting a CPU error on the EZ debug notification on the board. At that point it was midnight and i needed sleep so i havent been able to dig around for answers.

Also, the bios was also updated prior to installation of the CPU.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated.

Which bios are you using? I'm running v17 on my Mortar atm

Associate
Ah I see yeah it doesn't let me change it but I did notice with everything on default memory clock is 1600 and fabric clock is 1800, so maybe it's doing it anyway via the BIOS?

I did find a 3600 preset in the mobo that I enabled and it seems to work...ran a 3DMark and a couple cinebenches it didn't crash. Got 3716 on cinebench R20 with enhanced mode 4 + the 3600 preset.

Which bios are you using? I'm running v17 on my Mortar atm

I Think im on 18 or 19, i first installed the bios which was showing specifically for the ryzen 3000 chips, and then separately installed the latest one which on the notes was showing a memory controller fix if i remember correctly. i thought it would be best to be as upto date as possible.

Cheers for the reply

Associate
I Think im on 18 or 19, i first installed the bios which was showing specifically for the ryzen 3000 chips, and then separately installed the latest one which on the notes was showing a memory controller fix if i remember correctly. i thought it would be best to be as upto date as possible.

Cheers for the reply

Ah ok, there were a lot of issues with these MSI BIOS and Ryzen 3000, generally imo if you get it stable leave it alone for a while until MSI release a few more versions, hopefully iron out the bugs. I actually did ask the question about updating on the msigaming reddit and one of the MSI mods told me for the time being if you get it stable don't update to a different version.

Hard to say if it will fix it because based on the MSI gaming reddit different versions work for different people but I'd suggest trying to reflash v17, that has been rock solid for me not a single issue so far. Not sure if you're using the flashback button but thats what I used, you can also try using a different usb stick the first one I tried even though the flash was sucessful wouldn't post. So I used a different USB and used Rufus to make sure it was formatted FAT32 flashed the v17 BIOS and it's been fine ever since.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest reading through -

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ce3ift/msi_b450_tomahawk_update/

Everyone with a B450 Msi board is posting in there and the methods to get the flashback button working are universal, just of course make sure you only flash Mortar BIOS.

Associate
Ah ok, there were a lot of issues with these MSI BIOS and Ryzen 3000, generally imo if you get it stable leave it alone for a while until MSI release a few more versions, hopefully iron out the bugs. I actually did ask the question about updating on the msigaming reddit and one of the MSI mods told me for the time being if you get it stable don't update to a different version.

Hard to say if it will fix it because based on the MSI gaming reddit different versions work for different people but I'd suggest trying to reflash v17, that has been rock solid for me not a single issue so far. Not sure if you're using the flashback button but thats what I used, you can also try using a different usb stick the first one I tried even though the flash was sucessful wouldn't post. So I used a different USB and used Rufus to make sure it was formatted FAT32 flashed the v17 BIOS and it's been fine ever since.

If that doesn't work I'd suggest reading through -

https://www.reddit.com/r/MSI_Gaming/comments/ce3ift/msi_b450_tomahawk_update/

Everyone with a B450 Msi board is posting in there and the methods to get the flashback button working are universal, just of course make sure you only flash Mortar BIOS.

Cheers Mate much appreciated,

if all else fails ill whack the first get 1700 back in for a while. I was going to wait, but i managed to pick a 3600x up for £100 from a guy who was trying to use it for mining but failed spectacularly. i couldnt pass up on it.

Soldato
Might not be a bug...

I get ACB of 4.2GHz regardless of UEFI/AGESA, where I note the difference is when using PBO+xxxMHz, view the 2 WMVs in this ZIP.

Any UEFI using AGESA 1.0.0.2 or earlier results in ~4.3-4.34GHz ACB in non extreme loads, any UEFI using a later UEFI CPU barely breaks past 4.275GHz...

I've given up on boosting PBO as it's a broken advertising pitch.
Managed get it go 4.4 all cores running stable in every game I throw at it & cinebench. Nice thing too is setting a 44x multiplayer it actually boosts to that as there's a setting in bios to stop it running at max clock, so I've hack-boosted it lol.

Associate
I've given up on boosting PBO as it's a broken advertising pitch.
Managed get it go 4.4 all cores running stable in every game I throw at it & cinebench. Nice thing too is setting a 44x multiplayer it actually boosts to that as there's a setting in bios to stop it running at max clock, so I've hack-boosted it lol.

What settings have you used out of interest I'd like to get mine running at 4.4 or as close to as possible. None of these auto overclocks seem to get it beyond 4.2/4.3 no matter what.

Soldato
What settings have you used out of interest I'd like to get mine running at 4.4 or as close to as possible. None of these auto overclocks seem to get it beyond 4.2/4.3 no matter what.

I'm testing these settings atm & it seems stable hack-boosting to 4.4. Discovered it needs 1.400v to be happy at 4.4 so maybe its just temps & more voltage to go higher?
It hits 75c when running Cinebench on a H100x AIO in the cheapest full size case I could find.
Will later try dial back some other settings like the extreme phase control etc.
I find AMD Ryzen Master gives a more accurate display of the real time clock speeds.
Obvious disclaimer: If your PC melts through the earths core & takes out Shenzhen then don't blame me if RAM prices go up.
[Edit] If you try this I'd start at eg x41 or 4.1 at 1.35v or lower & see how she goes with temps & stability (all core Cinebench) as this is an ALL-CORE boost! With trial & error & a lot of resets I stumbled on these settings for my chip. It's an Asus TUF x570 with 8pack 3600 RAM btw, but the RAM should not make any difference so long as you're 1:1.
Obviously the GPU will heat the tower in games but then again games don't usually run all cores at 100%. I partitioned the CPU cooler off from the GPU with a piece of cardboard which really helps the temps in games.

u7GitM7.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
I'm testing these settings atm & it seems stable hack-boosting to 4.4. Discovered it needs 1.400v to be happy at 4.4 so maybe its just temps & more voltage to go higher?
It hits 75c when running Cinebench on a H100x AIO in the cheapest full size case I could find.
Will later try dial back some other settings like the extreme phase control etc.
I find AMD Ryzen Master gives a more accurate display of the real time clock speeds.
Obvious disclaimer: If your PC melts through the earths core & takes out Shenzhen then don't blame me if RAM prices go up.
[Edit] If you try this I'd start at eg x41 or 4.1 at 1.35v or lower & see how she goes with temps & stability (all core Cinebench) as this is an ALL-CORE boost! With trial & error & a lot of resets I stumbled on these settings for my chip. It's an Asus TUF x570 with 8pack 3600 RAM btw, but the RAM should not make any difference so long as you're 1:1.
Obviously the GPU will heat the tower in games but then again games don't usually run all cores at 100%. I partitioned the CPU cooler off from the GPU with a piece of cardboard which really helps the temps in games.

u7GitM7.jpg

I'm struggling to get an allcore OC to 4.4 even at 1.41 volts in cinebench it insta crashes, 4.3 works at 1.4, how high can the voltage be pushed?

I'm using Ryzen master to do my CPU OC I can't even find CPU Ratio in BIOS

Soldato
I'm struggling to get an allcore OC to 4.4 even at 1.41 volts in cinebench it insta crashes, 4.3 works at 1.4, how high can the voltage be pushed?

Safe 24/7 100% load is 1.35v I believe. If it's single core, light multi core, spikes up to 1.45v are fine.

Soldato

Overclocking is an art form & it could be any number of settings needed to get what you want, or even a new mb.
I personally would not go over 1.425v depending on the temp.
What is the temp when it crashes? To insta crash sounds like not enough volts.
I'd start off slower with a lower voltage & learn what volts are needed for each speed.
I reckon all cores to the stated boost speed is asking a lot considering only 1 or 2 cores supposed to reach that speed, but shame on AMD for selling a broken tech. A shame AMD is miss selling Ryzen with speeds people are not seeing unless they employ overclocking measures.

Associate
Safe 24/7 100% load is 1.35v I believe. If it's single core, light multi core, spikes up to 1.45v are fine.

Overclocking is an art form & it could be any number of settings needed to get what you want, or even a new mb.
I personally would not go over 1.425v depending on the temp.
What is the temp when it crashes? To insta crash sounds like not enough volts.
I'd start off slower with a lower voltage & learn what volts are needed for each speed.
I reckon all cores to the stated boost speed is asking a lot considering only 1 or 2 cores supposed to reach that speed, but shame on AMD for selling a broken tech. A shame AMD is miss selling Ryzen with speeds people are not seeing unless they employ overclocking measures.

Slightly confusing results honestly -

HWInfo seems all over the place I'm just writing it off as far as my CPU goes, BIOS voltage seems wacky I set 1.38v, booted it up and ryzen master would only read 1.09 so like no clue. I ended up doing all the OC settings in Ryzen Master since it's the only thing that seems to have any consistency lol.

Using Ryzen Master the best result I've got is a manual OC to 4.3Ghz at 1.21v, given me 100+ points on cinebench testing at 3826 now, temps after several tests didn't go above 64.

EDIT: I couldn't get 4.4 all core at all no matter what voltage it just insta crashed black screen and PC rebooted. I tried up to 1.45v and gave up at that point.

EDIT2: If BIOS has auto voltage it insta crashes at 4.3ghz 1.21v (in Ryzen Master), but with BIOS on override and set to 1.38, 1.21 works in Ryzen master and voltages aren't reading 1.38 at any point they at or lower than 1.21. Sooooo no idea what that's about lol.

Last edited:
Soldato
7EKyk3U.png

Can someone explain this manual overclock in Ryzen Master please?

I can't get to the login screen without BSOD with an undervolt of -0.07 in the BIOS. So I set it to manual and just tried 1.35. It boots into windows however it doesn't seem to be sticking to the voltage. So I tried a manual overclock. I know previously that 4250 is the max I can do. So I'm playing with the voltage in RM and I think I can go lower. It's currently set to 1.13125v in RM but this doesn't make sense. Also the temps just aren't changing. I am benching with Prime, Cin 15 / 20 and CPU-Z. It's not crashing.

When on PBO or default the idle voltage seems to be higher than when stress testing. It can go down to 1.35v when stress testing but at idle its 1.45+. I understand that voltages are fine higher on Ryzen but I don't understand why the would go lower when stress testing.

Associate
Even ryzen master doesn't seem to read voltages correctly when manually overclocking in my case .

Last edited:
Soldato
But are we saying 4.25Ghz @ 1.087V is correct? Or is HWiNFO and RM lying to me? I should point out my benchmark scores are not suffering from this low a voltage if it truly is this low. I might play around just to see how low I can get it.

I just don't get why even in manual OC the idle voltage is higher then the load voltage. 1.125V it says right now, run a benchmark and it goes to 1.081V.

I'm not concerned about the temps at it's only hitting that with Cinebench and doesn't hit 60c in games. PBO isn't getting past 4050 allcore and hits the same temps.

Could be a mobo/BIOS issue maybe.

TrM

TrM

Associate

are you sdure your in advance mode in the bios? cpuu ratio if i can rember is one of the first options under the overclocking menu menu the msi bios msi click bios gms lite
https://gyazo.com/d79fdcb19a71045c042f34b79fc32810

but saying that very few proccesoor oc to 4.4ghz though 4.3 seems to be the highest they can get but at 1.4v i acctully wonder if its worthwhile keeping or dropping down to 4.2ghhz or even leaving at stock

Slightly confusing results honestly -

HWInfo seems all over the place I'm just writing it off as far as my CPU goes, BIOS voltage seems wacky I set 1.38v, booted it up and ryzen master would only read 1.09 so like no clue. I ended up doing all the OC settings in Ryzen Master since it's the only thing that seems to have any consistency lol.

Using Ryzen Master the best result I've got is a manual OC to 4.3Ghz at 1.21v, given me 100+ points on cinebench testing at 3826 now, temps after several tests didn't go above 64.

EDIT: I couldn't get 4.4 all core at all no matter what voltage it just insta crashed black screen and PC rebooted. I tried up to 1.45v and gave up at that point.

EDIT2: If BIOS has auto voltage it insta crashes at 4.3ghz 1.21v (in Ryzen Master), but with BIOS on override and set to 1.38, 1.21 works in Ryzen master and voltages aren't reading 1.38 at any point they at or lower than 1.21. Sooooo no idea what that's about lol.

ryzen master for me has allways bbeen bugged now i own a slight differnt cpu but iwith m,y manual oc of 4.3ghz at 1.285v ryzen amster shows 1.1v at all times i think setting manual voltages in bios and then ocing in ryzen master is causing issues also as it cant seem to overwrite the manual violtage in bios.
differncee from manual oc at 4.3ghz and 1.38v vs ryzen master of 4.3ghz and 1.21v is to big

7EKyk3U.png

Can someone explain this manual overclock in Ryzen Master please?

I can't get to the login screen without BSOD with an undervolt of -0.07 in the BIOS. So I set it to manual and just tried 1.35. It boots into windows however it doesn't seem to be sticking to the voltage. So I tried a manual overclock. I know previously that 4250 is the max I can do. So I'm playing with the voltage in RM and I think I can go lower. It's currently set to 1.13125v in RM but this doesn't make sense. Also the temps just aren't changing. I am benching with Prime, Cin 15 / 20 and CPU-Z. It's not crashing.

When on PBO or default the idle voltage seems to be higher than when stress testing. It can go down to 1.35v when stress testing but at idle its 1.45+. I understand that voltages are fine higher on Ryzen but I don't understand why the would go lower when stress testing.

pbo/xfr2 overright most things at idle and the cpu is trying to boost single or more cores as high as it can go u need to make sure there diasabled in bios/ryzzenmaster if your doing a manual overclock thats why the voltages look so high in ryzen mastger but even then ryzen master is not reading it right and shows 1.4 or even 1.5v as the boosting is agressive and voltages change to to much so ryzern master doesnt showall the changes.

as for all core boost pspeeds when stress testing amd cpu have a set value for all core oc and ytou will allways find on the 3600-3900x that all core boost will use less volts as the xfr/pbo is not trying to push the clock speed as much and heat really starts to limit you

ljt

ljt

Soldato

With Ryzen, when it's under light load (i.e. a couple of cores utilised) it boosts to a higher frequency (i.e. 4.3-4.4Ghz for a 3700x) this requires a higher voltage to hit those boost clocks. Although the voltage is high, with only 1 or 2 cores loaded the current is low.

When more cores are loaded, the voltage drops thus the frequency is lower (i.e. 4Ghz) as it's not safe to have 1.4v+ with all cores loaded as the current would be too much for the chip to handle. The CPU basically has a "budget" to work within, so it can either do high voltage/high frequency on few cores or lower voltage/lower frequency across all cores.

Associate
are you sdure your in advance mode in the bios? cpuu ratio if i can rember is one of the first options under the overclocking menu menu the msi bios msi click bios gms lite
https://gyazo.com/d79fdcb19a71045c042f34b79fc32810

but saying that very few proccesoor oc to 4.4ghz though 4.3 seems to be the highest they can get but at 1.4v i acctully wonder if its worthwhile keeping or dropping down to 4.2ghhz or even leaving at stock

ryzen master for me has allways bbeen bugged now i own a slight differnt cpu but iwith m,y manual oc of 4.3ghz at 1.285v ryzen amster shows 1.1v at all times i think setting manual voltages in bios and then ocing in ryzen master is causing issues also as it cant seem to overwrite the manual violtage in bios.
differncee from manual oc at 4.3ghz and 1.38v vs ryzen master of 4.3ghz and 1.21v is to big

pbo/xfr2 overright most things at idle and the cpu is trying to boost single or more cores as high as it can go u need to make sure there diasabled in bios/ryzzenmaster if your doing a manual overclock thats why the voltages look so high in ryzen mastger but even then ryzen master is not reading it right and shows 1.4 or even 1.5v as the boosting is agressive and voltages change to to much so ryzern master doesnt showall the changes.

as for all core boost pspeeds when stress testing amd cpu have a set value for all core oc and ytou will allways find on the 3600-3900x that all core boost will use less volts as the xfr/pbo is not trying to push the clock speed as much and heat really starts to limit you

Yeah I don't really get what's happening everything gives me a different reading under full load all cores are at 1.18 in hwinfo total current seems to stay at 1.337 and the maximum is 1.381.

Very hard to OC when literally everything is giving me a different number lol, I know it's definitely capped at 1.38 so that's not to bad.

TrM

TrM

Associate
Yeah I don't really get what's happening everything gives me a different reading under full load all cores are at 1.18 in hwinfo total current seems to stay at 1.337 and the maximum is 1.381.

Very hard to OC when literally everything is giving me a different number lol, I know it's definitely capped at 1.38 so that's not to bad.

I know mine is a 3900x not a 3600 so things are differ t but my all boost stock setting I boost to 4.15ghz at the 1.275v though it’s idle temps I syltuggle with the single core boosting it can spike to 1.5v which I know isn’t bad on its own it keeps my idle temps nearly as high as my all core boost but I’ve been using the power saving profile I don’t think a 12 core idling at 2.2gjz most of time a issue maybe even a 6 core cpu would be ok also haven’t tested that it keeps my idle temps in low 40s and still boosts as high in games and heavy workloads so my advice to people if heat is a issue or your worried about voltage heat etc put windows on the Norma power saving plan and then whilst idle might be slower 2.2ghz mine stays at the boost speeds are nearly ideantical when it’s truly needed

Back
Top Bottom