5k for a family car, safe and reliable etc.

Soldato
We recently had a baby and are looking to buy a car to replace my old Mondeo that is kicked to hell.

I regularly transport a mountain bike and also our dog will occasionally go in the car.

I have a desire to own a Volvo but I'm open to anything similar.

Annual mileage of around 17-20k.

Could push to £5.5k if necessary.

What should I consider?

Soldato
Best Mk4/4.5 Mondeo you can find. Finding a good one is tricky, they weren't overproduced in the same way the Mk3 was.

The Volvo would presumably have to be an Estate as they only do the V40 as a hatch. The V60 is more Focus sized so you may find it a bit small compared to a Mondeo, the V70 is bigger but they tend to hold their value quite well. The 2.4 D5 is decent but they tend to chew front suspension components up because they're a big heavy car.

The most reliable and economical Volvo's are said to be the Euro 3 184BHP D5's, but they're all about 15 years old now.

Caporegime
Think I'm going to enquire about this car tomorrow. Any advice?

Forget mileage, look at condition and service history. MOT history shows some concerns about front suspension:

• Nearside Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement trailing arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement trailing arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
and it was MOT'd in November so it might be worth doing some speed bumps and tight turns (where safe) to make sure there are no knocks or grumbles.

Soldato
OP
Forget mileage, look at condition and service history. MOT history shows some concerns about front suspension:

• Nearside Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement trailing arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
  • Offside Suspension arm pin or bush worn but not resulting in excessive movement trailing arm (5.3.4 (a) (i))
and it was MOT'd in November so it might be worth doing some speed bumps and tight turns (where safe) to make sure there are no knocks or grumbles.

Thanks for info.

Just been looking and this one looks decent too.
http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201908080947861?atmobcid=soc3

Might be better going for the 2.0 too to save me a bit fuel.

Soldato
The 2.2 manual fuel consumption isn't that much greater than the 2.0 in the earlier Mk4's.

The later 2.2 200PS Autos are thirsty, they're not much better than the 2.0 EcoBoost IRL.

Soldato
I had a Mondeo 2.2 diesel, 200ps. Liked the car a lot but fuel economy was dire. I actually had to put effort in to get mpg in the low 40s on a journey that was almost entirely motorway. A petrol can manage that so it kind of negated most of the point of diesel in my view. I’d definitely get the 2.0 over the 2.2 since you do a reasonable mileage each year.

Back
Top Bottom