• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Why does my paste keep failing on my r9 290

Soldato
Hi guys, I keep on having to redo the paste on my gpu every 6-12months as the temps slowly creep up from the low 80s into the 90's when running furmark, why is this? I use the good old trusty AS5 and I make sure that the screws are nice and tight when putting the cooler back on the card, but its like the seal keeps breaking or something. When I remove the old AS5 from the gpu, its still wet.

Soldato
OP
How much are you applying?
I spreed a thin layer so it doesnt ooze(as you need to be careful with AS5) but thick enough so you cant see the gpu surface. Basically the same way as I do my cpu's and the paste lasts the life time of the cpu normally

Soldato
What you are experiencing is called the pump-out effect. From a quick Google it seems AS-5 is actually one of the better ones with pastes like mx-4 failing after a couple of weeks,!

It seems that more viscosity the better for this application

Soldato
I use IC Diamond 24, that paste is fit and forget, one of my computers is coming up to 7 years on it. It's just incredible durable paste but unfortunately it's out of fashion or something, but I won't use anything else.

Soldato
OP
What you are experiencing is called the pump-out effect. From a quick Google it seems AS-5 is actually one of the better ones with pastes like mx-4 failing after a couple of weeks,!

It seems that more viscosity the better for this application

Ah right, Im guess its because gpu's get much hotter then cpus? but saying that when I am gaming the temps are in the 60s, low 70s and thats not bad for a r9 290 as they run hot anyway. So what paste do you recommend I should use in the future for gpu's

I use IC Diamond 24, that paste is fit and forget, one of my computers is coming up to 7 years on it. It's just incredible durable paste but unfortunately it's out of fashion or something, but I won't use anything else.
Like me, I have never used anything else then AS5 since building PC's about 15-20yrs ago and always used the spreed technique with the finger in a food bag to spreed it:D.

Soldato
Ah right, Im guess its because gpu's get much hotter then cpus? but saying that when I am gaming the temps are in the 60s, low 70s and thats not bad for a r9 290 as they run hot anyway. So what paste do you recommend I should use in the future for gpu's

Like me, I have never used anything else then AS5 since building PC's about 15-20yrs ago and always used the spreed technique with the finger in a food bag to spreed it:D.

I have some AS5 in a drawer but never used it, when I looked at performance charts it did not look that great.

IC Diamond drys and creates a seal and helps secure the heat sink, always have just used a blob in the centre and let the paste spread. IC Diamond is very good for server applications, where computers will be running unattended and for reduced downtime.

The performance on IC Diamond it's at least as good as MX4, however even after years it never degrades, been using it since around 2011.

Man of Honour
Have you checked the GPU core and heatsink geometry?

Hand spreading AS5 on a GPU generally isn't the most effective way to use it either ;)

Soldato
The screws might be tight but that doesn't mean great contact between die and heatsink - see navi reference card fixs.

It's prolly good practice to redo your TIM each year tho, you could also buy a carbon TIM sheet that should last forever.

Soldato
Just picking up on comments where people say replace paste often, I know i'm repeating from my previous past, but IC Diamond does not go off.

I've got computers that are running as home servers, these machines are running AI software often they run near 100% for extended periods, some machines are 7 years old with the original paste application.

I have no connection to IC Diamond, just i'm telling you the real truth of how reliable I have found this paste. I say the same about Seasonic, Weston Digital, Kingston memory, Honda Type R reliability... Don't understand why IC diamond is not popular here, but believe me I've been building PC's since 1995, and never found a paste even remotely close to the reliability of IC Diamond.

Associate
I spreed a thin layer so it doesnt ooze(as you need to be careful with AS5) but thick enough so you cant see the gpu surface. Basically the same way as I do my cpu's and the paste lasts the life time of the cpu normally

That sounds like no where near enough, CPU has a lots more pressure to work with, gpu's dont.

Put more thermal paste. Like at least two peas worth

Associate
I use Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut on my cpu and gpu. It's been on my GTX1070 since a couple of months after they launched and have had no change in temps. It's quite expensive but it's a really good thermal paste.
This :D I've used it on CPU's and my Vega64 (That gets hot) and I've never needed to replace it.

Soldato
OP
That sounds like no where near enough, CPU has a lots more pressure to work with, gpu's dont.

Put more thermal paste. Like at least two peas worth

Im very wary of putting too much on because I dont want a fireworks show if it oozes onto the contacts around the gpu.

This :D I've used it on CPU's and my Vega64 (That gets hot) and I've never needed to replace it.

I might try grrzzly paste if it fails again..

Soldato
You are wasting your time as there's nothing wrong with the paste. Why on earth are you using Furmark? If the GPU is sitting 60s to low 70s during gaming then all is fine.

Incidentally, I wouldn't spread AS5 on a CPU or GPU; a single blob in the centre about the size of a grain of rice for the GPU is all you need. Slightly more, say the size of a pea for a CPU like Ryzen.

Associate
Hi guys, I keep on having to redo the paste on my gpu every 6-12months as the temps slowly creep up from the low 80s into the 90's when running furmark, why is this? I use the good old trusty AS5 and I make sure that the screws are nice and tight when putting the cooler back on the card, but its like the seal keeps breaking or something. When I remove the old AS5 from the gpu, its still wet.
As @Finners said, sounds like you're experiencing the "pump-out effect":
https://youtube.com/watch?t=8m22s&v=CCqxE-5Ct3w
Der8auer recommends changing the paste every year if you're using these less viscous thermal pastes.

Higher viscosity thermal pastes are supposedly less susceptible to the pump-out effect.

Soldato
I always found AS5 can look like you originally hardly put any on a few months down the line!

On cryonaut currently without any problems.

Not that I especially had any problems with AS5 either.

Soldato
Officially least sunny location -Ronskistats
My digestion of the point in thermal paste was it was to fill in the minor flaws and cracks between the two surfaces assisting contact. The metals need to transfer that heat so I dont get why people assume a layer of jam like in a spongecake is needed? If the temps are reasonable then leave it. If they creep up too high then investigate but you shouldn't need to do this that often.

Back
Top Bottom