SSD Upgrade Worth It?

Soldato
Bought a 2013 macbook pro for £250 from gumtree yesterday. Mainly to be used to surfing and email while having morning coffe. It still has a 500gig mechanical drive in it, wold it be worthwhile to upgrade to an SSD? Size isnt really important as I wont be storing anything worthwhile!

Cheers

Soldato
Bought a 2013 macbook pro for £250 from gumtree yesterday. Mainly to be used to surfing and email while having morning coffe. It still has a 500gig mechanical drive in it, wold it be worthwhile to upgrade to an SSD? Size isnt really important as I wont be storing anything worthwhile!

Cheers
The answer to the question is an ssd a worthwhile upgrade is always going to be yes :D

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Cheers guys.

250 gig drive big enough, or even a 128gig? As I said Firefox is th eonly thing i'm installing on the mac.

Oh, the screen is bloody lovely. :)

Permabanned

Cheers

Absolute bargain! SSDs will always be worth the upgrade.

Soldato
I just sold a 240 GB SSD for £20 on Facebook locally.

I can't imagine you can improve a machine like that in such a significant way with any other upgrade, regardless of price. No matter how much RAM or whatever CPU you put in, the HDD being replaced will be huge.

Soldato
OP
Replaced the hard drive with a Samsung 850 SSD, boot time went from around 4 mins to 30 secs or so. Huge difference.

Did notice that the battery was slightly bulging, anyone got a recommendation for a new battery out side of Apple?
Thanks

Permabanned
I just sold a 240 GB SSD for £20 on Facebook locally.

I can't imagine you can improve a machine like that in such a significant way with any other upgrade, regardless of price. No matter how much RAM or whatever CPU you put in, the HDD being replaced will be huge.

You can buy one brand new for £22-23

Associate
Soldato
Night and day difference,Nobody should be stuck using a standard mechanical hard drive as a boot disk in 2019/2020,especially considering how cheap you can pick them up now,maybe look on the used market. :)

Soldato
OP
I got mine from Duracell for my Macbook Air worked perfectly still get great battery life after a year or so.

https://www.duracelldirect.co.uk/laptop-notebook/apple-battery-adapter-charger.html
Got a new battery, maybe its just me bit the Mac does seem a bit nipier now with the new battery in!

All in all, for the price I got it for and the price of a new abttery it still is a bargain!
Just need to used to all the quirks of MAC OS instead of windows.

Cheers guys

Associate
I upgraded my 2011 13" MBP with more RAM and an SSD years ago when I bought it, huge difference, and so cheap nowadays that you won't get a better price/performance upgrade with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom