• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Rumour: AMD's 4096 Shader Big Navi in Q4 2019?

Associate
It's only going to be an nvidia 'killer' if it's got performance thoroughly beaten, at price points across the market, and can compete at the top end too.

I really hope they can pull it out of the bag, but it seems unlikely given the last release, which was great, but firmly mid-market and didn't really shatter the current pricing trends so much as slot in with them.

Caporegime
OP
It's only going to be an nvidia 'killer' if it's got performance thoroughly beaten, at price points across the market, and can compete at the top end too.

I really hope they can pull it out of the bag, but it seems unlikely given the last release, which was great, but firmly mid-market and didn't really shatter the current pricing trends so much as slot in with them.

Ok, so you characterise the 5700XT as "not shattering the current price trends" those price trends started by Nvidia, would you agree?

Shattering price trends is incredibly subjective, the AIB 5700XT starting at £400 with performance near RTX 2070S, in a couple of games its even as fast as a 2080TI. What price would you like it to be?

2060S £380
2070 £470
2070S £500

Caporegime
Ok, so you characterise the 5700XT as "not shattering the current price trends" those price trends started by Nvidia, would you agree?

Shattering price trends is incredibly subjective, the AIB 5700XT starting at £400 with performance near RTX 2070S, in a couple of games its even as fast as a 2080TI. What price would you like it to be?

2060S £380
2070 £470
2070S £500

AMD were quite happy to slot in price wise till Super launched.

5700XT is better price/performance than a 2070S but it's not disruptive at all.

The games where it's as fast as a 2080ti are firmly outliers. As much as I'd love my 5700XT to be 2080ti performance. It's slower than a 2070S on average

Caporegime
OP
AMD were quite happy to slot in price wise till Super launched.

5700XT is better price/performance than a 2070S but it's not disruptive at all.

The games where it's as fast as a 2080ti are firmly outliers. As much as I'd love my 5700XT to be 2080ti performance. It's slower than a 2070S on average

For sure i agree the 2080TI thing is one, maybe two outliers and in no way indicative to its overall performance, which is <2070S.

Caporegime
OP
5700XT is slower than a 1080Ti for the same money. Progress.

True, even more true for Nvidia.

AMD have been out of it and with that Nvidia cracked up the pricing structure over the years since and including Pascal, now AMD are slotting them in at the new pricing structre, the shocking thing is where AMD are slotting them in is undercutting Nvidia by quite some margin and yet they are still expensive, that's how bad its got.

Soldato
5800 series is suppose to handily beat 2080S
5900 series, 2020, is suppose to challenge Nvidia 7nm offering(s). And suppose to handily beat 2080ti by a country mile.
It amazes me how much AMD/Nvidia can keep tabs on each other R&D. Don't they do R&D in house any more instead of at the fabs?? Sheesh.

bru

bru

Soldato
Bottom line is that priceing is horrible across the board, NVIDIA pushed the boundaries of what we would apparently accept and AMD are quite happy to have a piece of that as well, just a slight undercut so they look like the good guys.

Soldato

AMD know it doesn't matter what they do, the great unwashed buy Nvidia anwyay, because Nvidia. Then you go to forums such as this one, and people who are really informed and should know better still only want AMD to beat Nvidia so they can buy Nvida cards cheaper...

Somehow for AMD to be 'winning' they have to smash Nvidia in performance and be hundreds of pounds cheaper...

Well tough titty if enthusiats want to cuddle their green cards and feel superior they're going to have to pay throuigh the nose for the privilege.

Soldato
Am expecting this card to drop at a minimum next Summer, as it seems like it'll be RDNA 2.0 (with RT capabilities).

5700XT will do me til then :)

Exactly my strategy. Last high end AMD card I had was the 9700pro which I'm sure was £300 and felt like a fortune! I did have two 7970's but that was a while after release. Nearly had heat stroke a few times in the summer with those cards :p

Permabanned
I'm waiting for a half decent AIB 5700XT to drop to £350 or less, then i'm all over it like a rash...

I am waiting for it to come down to $200.
Right now, here it costs a grand :eek: of the local national currency that goes ~two for one euro.
One bread costs from the equivalent of 25 euro cents.

Permabanned
There's a bit more news / a rumour about high end Navi cards in 2020 here:

http://www.redgamingtech.com/navi-20-series-is-known-internally-as-the-nvidia-killer-exclusive/

The GPU codenames are Navi 21 and Navi 23 according to the source.

"Navi 23 is the one I’d like to focus on if you don’t mind because this was the GPU that he learnt is known as the ‘Nvidia Killer’ internally. Now, understand this wording from AMD isn’t typical internally, and to his knowledge, this kind of confidence wasn’t shown (internally at least), by AMD Engineers either for Vega or for even Polaris launch."

Wrong.

AMD hyped Vega a lot, to some insane levels:
Poor-Volta-Vega.jpg

Caporegime
OP
Don't pay any attention to leaked internal AMD product nick naming. ‘Nvidia Killer’ could mean anything, it could just mean what is in their mind better price to performance, its not necessarily out right performance.

Or it could just be one Man / Woman's bluster...

Permabanned
Don't pay any attention to leaked internal AMD product nick naming. ‘Nvidia Killer’ could mean anything, it could just mean what is in their mind better price to performance, its not necessarily out right performance.

Or it could just be one Man / Woman's bluster...

They acquired ATi only because of the IP for the Fusion project and the consoles. They have no intentions to compete with nvidia, hence this ridiculous statement about "killing" nvidia.

Back
Top Bottom