2008 E90 BMW - what would you do?

Soldato
Hey guys, I bought an 2008 E90 BMW 320D auto in 2016, 68k on the clock. It is now at 107k and during the 3+ years, it's had its share of issues.
- brake disc and wheel bearing replacements (expected wear and tear)
- ABS sensor and drive shaft replacement (known issue)
- several oil leaks (known issue)
In total about £2k of repairs.

It's now at a stage where I am not sure if I should keep fixing it. Right now the EML light is on and it requires a DPF clean and replacement glow plug modules and glow plugs so that it regenerates the DPF. As well as some smaller electrical fixes.
This would set me back about £1,200.

I have also had a few times where I have had to pull over because of the auto gearbox malfunctioning - stopping the car, and turning off and on typically resolves this.

Anyone else had an E90 BMW, worth keeping or should I move on?

Soldato
Yes, yellow light usually. Is this something that should make me want to get rid of it?

When it does this, is there any certain behaviour from the box? Like slipping or thudding between gears/in gears.

Ideally you'd need a code reader that can read the tcu to see the fault code stored to see what it is.

Has the gearbox ever been serviced at all? I'm assuming yours is an automatic 6 speed?

Associate
Sounds like it's becoming or has already become a money pit. I'd get rid personally.

Our M140i was coming up to 3 years old and needed 4 new tyres, brake disks and pads on the front and pads on the rear. From BMW that would likely be a 2k+ bill easily... loved the car, but it was too small, so just did a straight swap to a 335d :p

Soldato
Sounds like it's becoming or has already become a money pit. I'd get rid personally.

Our M140i was coming up to 3 years old and needed 4 new tyres, brake disks and pads on the front and pads on the rear. From BMW that would likely be a 2k+ bill easily... loved the car, but it was too small, so just did a straight swap to a 335d :p

F30 335d?

Associate
F31. Just be wary of the timing chain, some have been known to become a little slack, near high mileage. Great cars for economy and performance they offer.

Yeah have heard similar! It's under warranty and service plan (including the DPF), warranty I extended for next 3 years and service plan from the last one rolled onto this, so have another 2+ years left but it was just serviced and had the DPF cleaned before we got it, but mileage is only 26k and wont go up that much as I mostly work from home, so tend to do 5-7k a year.

Enjoying it so far though, extra space over the 1 series is a bonus and while it's certainly not as quick, it's quick enough and can actual use the power. Economy is literally double the last one too!

Soldato
OP
When it does this, is there any certain behaviour from the box? Like slipping or thudding between gears/in gears.

Ideally you'd need a code reader that can read the tcu to see the fault code stored to see what it is.

Has the gearbox ever been serviced at all? I'm assuming yours is an automatic 6 speed?

It generally has issues with shifting between 2nd and 3rd as well as 4th and 5th if I rev too hard.

When this light comes on, it shudders and I just lose power so have to stop and restart.

Sounds like it's going to become a bigger issues. Yes, six speed auto, not been serviced. Might be something to look into.

Soldato
OP

Yeh I'm wondering whether to just get an el cheapo Focus that I can run into the ground.

Soldato
It generally has issues with shifting between 2nd and 3rd as well as 4th and 5th if I rev too hard.

When this light comes on, it shudders and I just lose power so have to stop and restart.

Sounds like it's going to become a bigger issues. Yes, six speed auto, not been serviced. Might be something to look into.

Clutch pack A and clutch pack E issue. It's not remapped or anything like that?

Budget £2-3k for a rebuild.

I think not even a gearbox service would cure that but you could gamble it.

For the amount of work required I'd let it go. It's not worth it.

Soldato
OP
Clutch pack A and clutch pack E issue. It's not remapped or anything like that?

Budget £2-3k for a rebuild.

I think not even a gearbox service would cure that but you could gamble it.

For the amount of work required I'd let it go. It's not worth it.
No remap.
Well damn didn't realize it would cost that much. Will have to get rid of it sharpish then.
Pretty disappointing experience with a BMW really. Lots of issues, especially the common faults.
Not sure should ever invest in one again.

Associate
Our family have had bmws for the past 20 years and never had any major issues. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw, but my last one I had for 3 years from new and only money spent was on petrol, insurance and road tax.

Soldato
No remap.
Well damn didn't realize it would cost that much. Will have to get rid of it sharpish then.
Pretty disappointing experience with a BMW really. Lots of issues, especially the common faults.
Not sure should ever invest in one again.

BMW say the gearbox are sealed for life. Zf the manufacturer advise servicing the oil and filter every 50/60k miles.

If you know of a BMW indi that can read gearbox adaptation values it should help narrow it down what clutch packs are worn. As they work on fill pressures, it's quite difficult explaining it etc.

You could service the box / re adapt it but it's most likely a hardware fault so it will revert back to normal. Some people have got lucky though.

It's your call but definitely get a professional opinion. Someone who knows the cars.

Caporegime
Our family have had bmws for the past 20 years and never had any major issues. Sometimes it's just luck of the draw, but my last one I had for 3 years from new and only money spent was on petrol, insurance and road tax.

True. I will say that my Mini has never let me down but when it needs work it’s far too expensive for what it is. Also looking at the reliability index there are zero Germans in the top 10 and 6(!) in the bottom 10. The Koreans seem to be the best now, followed by the Japs.

Thing is it’s all relative. Breaking down in the UK is an inconvenience, breaking down where I grew up (Saffrica) often results in much, much worse things, hence why I put a much heavier weighting on reliability than most. If folks are happy to live with cars that might leave them stranded then by all means go ahead, but I've been indoctrinated from a young age.

Which is why a drive a Mini. Obviously.

Facepalm.jpg

Associate
Lol, yeah if I lived somewhere where it's imperative I never break down then a Japanese or Korean car would be a no brainer!
I mainly get BMW because of the way they drive over anything else to be honest.

Soldato
Bought an X1 about 10 months old back in 2012. 2500 miles I think, now closing in on 59000. Only problem I had with it is the battery going duff which was partly my fault as I was doing lots of short journeys at the time but the technicians laughed at the battery. It never stranded me but the stop-start never worked and it turned out the battery wouldn't charge over something like 50%. I think it was made in Poland and that was what the technicians laughed at. The new one I had to pay £200+ for was made in Germany. Bit of a cost saving exercise it seemed. Anyway, it's the car I;ve now owned the longest - a great all rounder. Probably selling it soon though for something newer, before any faults start appearing. BMW bills I think tend to get expensive now with their £120+minimum an hour labour fees.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Bought an X1 about 10 months old back in 2012. 2500 miles I think, now closing in on 59000. Only problem I had with it is the battery going duff which was partly my fault as I was doing lots of short journeys at the time but the technicians laughed at the battery. It never stranded me but the stop-start never worked and it turned out the battery wouldn't charge over something like 50%. I think it was made in Poland and that was what the technicians laughed at. The new one I had to pay £200+ for was made in Germany. Bit of a cost saving exercise it seemed. Anyway, it's the car I;ve now owned the longest - a great all rounder. Probably selling it soon though for something newer, before any faults start appearing. BMW bills I think tend to get expensive now with their £120+minimum an hour labour fees.
Oh I never bothered going to BMW directly.
It seems their cars do well at low mileage but they get old, higher mileage and they just develop faults.

Back
Top Bottom