The Guardian's Owen Jones attacked outside London pub in a premeditated assault.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Associate
Um, no.

"A person who holds extreme political or religious views, especially one who advocates illegal, violent, or other extreme action."

I don't find his views extreme, just very left wing. And I've still not been given any evidence of him advocating violence despite half the posters on here insisting he does.

As above.
He often calls people "Nazi", seems pretty extreme to me.

Soldato
Is that the best you could find? Laughable. :rolleyes:

I don't condone "milk-shaking" or egg throwing.

But it's not exactly what I would regard as an extreme position either.
Exactly this.

This was his response to people criticising his Facebook post, in which defended physical attacks on Richard Spenser.

https://imgur.com/a/bg1GgWF
bg1GgWF
Richard Spenser, the creator of the 'alt-right', a famed neo-Nazi, racist, fascist, white-supremist who has endorsed ethnic cleansing of Europe. You're really clutching at straws if the worst you can find of Owen's is him suggesting that actually perhaps people like that should be put back in their box. The Nazis, famous for, ya know, the second world war and the holocaust. And he's hardly 'defending' it either if you read it correctly. He's quite rightly pointing out that the Nazis were not defeated by people sitting around singing kumbaya.

He often calls people "Nazi", seems pretty extreme to me.
Source? Link? It's not a great way to win an argument, but calling someone a Nazi is not on the same level as advocating a white Europe, or ethnic cleansing etc.

Soldato
No Nigel Farage gets assaulted by a mob whilst trying to speak on a political campaign by opponents who tried to prevent him speaking. Owen Jones goes out drinking and gets assaulted by a group with no clear motive other than Jones assumption that it was because he was gay and left wing, despite there being zero evidence so far that was the reason.
So Farage gets a milkshake thrown at him while surrounded by bodyguards and suddenly its he gets assaulted by a mob whilst speaking. While Owen does actualy get assaulted by a mob with no body guards to protect him and you think that Farages attack was far worse?
Given Jones previous for exaggeration and blaming of the other side for every single Ill in the world theres a healthy dose of scepticism
Hah thats ironic concidering you are comparing him to Farage who lets be fair if he was a puppet would have a nose 10 miles long.

You alters need to get a better sense of perspective.

Soldato
And he's victim mentality. He only calls himself a journalist because it gets him more screen time and exposure than being simply an activist
I think you will find the people that pay him call him a journalist. Id love it if you were one of the people that claimed Tommy Robinson was a journalist, but you are probably not that stupid.

Associate
You don't get it do you. If you advocate,violence or justify, against somebody you are political opposed to then you legitimise the use of violence in all situations. There is a complex criminal justice system setup to ensure that violence isn't needed maintain law and order.

You and Owen Jones may think Richard Spenser is the most despicable person to walk the planet, but violence must never be used to silence that person.

To Spenser and his ilk, Jones is a communist **** who is supporting an idelogy that murdered millions across the globe. Are they then justified to assault anyone they want?

So Farage gets a milkshake thrown at him while surrounded by bodyguards and suddenly its he gets assaulted by a mob whilst speaking. While Owen does actualy get assaulted by a mob with no body guards to protect him and you think that Farages attack was far worse?
Hah thats ironic concidering you are comparing him to Farage who lets be fair if he was a puppet would have a nose 10 miles long.

You alters need to get a better sense of perspective.

You need to improve your critical reading skills. Nowhere did I compare the severity of what happened to Jones to Farage. I stated they were two completely different sets of circumstances. Jones isn't even able to recall what the guys said during the fight yet is 100% positive it was a homophobic political attack.

Soldato
And he's victim mentality. He only calls himself a journalist because it gets him more screen time and exposure than being simply an activist
Oh hey look what I found; https://www.theguardian.com/profile/owen-jones Only 711 articles coming up there. He's also a twice-published author but don't let that get in the way of your world view.

You don't get it do you. If you advocate,violence or justify, against somebody you are political opposed to then you legitimise the use of violence in all situations. There is a complex criminal justice system setup to ensure that violence isn't needed maintain law and order.
Yet there remains a point in time where nothing but violence will work. In the link posted above, that was when the Nazis started invading western Europe. Boo frickin' hoo that Jones pointed that out. And no, it's not the same as him getting assaulted out of the blue, by whoever it was, for whatever reason.

Soldato
Scam, where are these Nazis you’re talking about? Dehumanising people is a very dangerous thing to do and branding people with differing views as Nazis is doing exactly that.

Sure there are neo-nazi and skinhead groups but they are nothing new and as long as they are not driven underground then people can see the **** they spout for what it is. The world is is very different place to 1935.

Violence should not be condoned under any circumstances, it only leads to escalation.

Associate
Yet there remains a point in time where nothing but violence will work. In the link posted above, that was when the Nazis started invading western Europe. Boo frickin' hoo that Jones pointed that out. And no, it's not the same as him getting assaulted out of the blue, by whoever it was, for whatever reason.

Guess what, the union of fascists are not out on the streets of Britain re-enacting kristallnacht and any fringe far right group that pops its head up gets decapitated pretty swiftly by the security services.

Of course Jones is free to go to places where there is genuine far right groups and governments to combat it, like Russia, Hungary, the Baltic States, Eastern Europe etc. Somehow I don't think he would have the backbone for that.

Associate
Jones was coming out of a pub at 3am after celebrating his birthday. I would think he probably couldnt recall much of what was said or by who that night.

Yet he's spouting all over the media it was a politically motivated attack because of who and what he is. In no circumstances should he ever be assaulted for what he does or say unless of course is commiting violence himself, but his account of that night is vague at best and deliberately misleading at worst.

Soldato
Scam, where are these Nazis you’re talking about?
I don't know. I'm only answering the claim that Jones incites violence because he made the mistake of pointing out that the Nazis in WW2 weren't defeated by people singing kumbaya :confused:

Guess what, the union of fascists are not out on the streets of Britain re-enacting kristallnacht and any fringe far right group that pops its head up gets decapitated pretty swiftly by the security services.

Of course Jones is free to go to places where there is genuine far right groups and governments to combat it, like Russia, Hungary, the Baltic States, Eastern Europe etc. Somehow I don't think he would have the backbone for that.
Well, the EDL have marched in the streets along with other far-right groups, quite recently have they not? You're skewing the perspective here anyway. This isn't about Jones fighting fascism and the far-right, it's about the fact he got assaulted in what he deemed to have been a right-wing and/or homophobic attack. And for some reason on this forum about half the poster seem to think he had it coming. Which again, my mind just boggles as to why. And no-one has really posted any evidence to show him inciting violence, as promised.

FWIW, I find him quite irritating, I dislike a lot of his opinions especially regarding trade unionism. But he's a journalist and activist that falls on the left-side of politics. When people are getting beaten up for that in the street we should be worried. Not applauding it like a bunch of louts "because he's got a punchable face" :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom