** NEW LG MONITORS - INCLUDING 2 EXCLUSIVE TO OCUK!!! **

Man of Honour
Bit confused about the DCI P3 coverage in the rtings review.
Yeah me too. That doesn’t look right at all, unless those measurements were taken in the sRGB preset and emulation mode.

In the Gamer 1 and other native gamut modes It has 97.5% DCI-P3 coverage according to my measurements :)

Associate
Yeah me too. That doesn’t look right at all, unless those measurements were taken in the sRGB preset and emulation mode.

In the Gamer 1 and other native gamut modes It has 97.5% DCI-P3 coverage according to my measurements :)

Yeah I can tell it's definitely much wider than what the rtings article said just by lookinf at it. How was the glow on your panel?

Associate
Yep, considering the monitors are not available for ages, and the fact they take cash instantly, looks like a blatant gouge.

I was looking to order a whole new build shortly (just waiting on this monitor and solid reviews), but to be quite honest, the majority of parts are more expensive here for no good reason, and they just put the price up on this monitor....

Lastly, I phoned OCUK the other day, sales hotline, and someone answered who sounded like they belong in school and couldn't be arsed to be at work, had no real knowledge besides what was written in front of them on the screen, not a good first impression of a company to be blunt.

Soldato
When/why did they jack the price up on the 27GL850? :confused:

Anyone know what ocuk exclusive actually means? Will no other retailers be selling this at all at any point?

Soldato
Anyone know if this monitor would be OK for a little video and picture editing - as well as gaming?

I bought the Dell TN monitor a while back and although gaming it was OK, for pictures it was awful and had to go.

Associate
Anyone know if this monitor would be OK for a little video and picture editing - as well as gaming?

I bought the Dell TN monitor a while back and although gaming it was OK, for pictures it was awful and had to go.

Should be fine. It would depend on how accurate you need things to be.

I'm not sure how accurate the sRGB mode is on this one, (Will probably tell you on the TFTCentral review)

Soldato
Doesn't have to be bang on. My current monitor is an old Hazro 27" which I've always found very good.

If the LG provides at least the same standard as the Hazro in colour reproduction I'll be very happy to buy the LG. Not really bothered if it takes a while to arrive.

Man of Honour
Doesn't have to be bang on. My current monitor is an old Hazro 27" which I've always found very good.

If the LG provides at least the same standard as the Hazro in colour reproduction I'll be very happy to buy the LG. Not really bothered if it takes a while to arrive.
very good sRGB emulation mode including a factory calibration if you want to work with that colour space specifically. for video though you may well prefer the wider DCI-P3 gamut of the native modes :) have a look at the review for details: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

Anyone know what ocuk exclusive actually means? Will no other retailers be selling this at all at any point?

exclusive for the time being on initial waves of stock. I suppose it depends how long OcUK have set up that agreement for, and whether they want to continue to take all available produced stock from LG for a while.

Associate
Full review of the 27GL850 now available for everyone at TFT Central: https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/lg_27gl850.htm

Feel free to ask any questions

Seems like your major gripe is the contrast ratio being sub par.

Compared to other IPS monitors like the ad27Qd with a contrast ratio of 1170 will people notice the 300 contrast ratio dip on the lg?

For gaming (the Witcher, borderlands, Skyrim and some apex, csgo and cod) which IPS 27inch monitor would you recommend? Don't care about ULMB and I refuse to be locked in to Nvidia g sync monitor.

Man of Honour
Seems like your major gripe is the contrast ratio being sub par.

Compared to other IPS monitors like the ad27Qd with a contrast ratio of 1170 will people notice the 300 contrast ratio dip on the lg?

For gaming (the Witcher, borderlands, Skyrim and some apex, csgo and cod) which IPS 27inch monitor would you recommend? Don't care about ULMB and I refuse to be locked in to Nvidia g sync monitor.

it's sub par but it's not terrible. I think in very dark gaming you MAY spot a bit of difference with the shadow detail, but i dont think it's going to be anything major between the two. The LG is about £65 cheaper and definitely has the better response times overall. if you read my Gigabyte review you will see the response times are decent at 144HZ (speed mode) but if youre using VRR or a lower refresh rate, the overshoot becomes a big problem for lower refresh rates. switching down to the 'balance' mode avoids the overshoot but the response times are then not very good. Personally i think the LG is a better screen, fewer bells and whistles but better gaming performance overall

https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/gigabyte_aorus_ad27qd.htm

Associate
it's sub par but it's not terrible. I think in very dark gaming you MAY spot a bit of difference with the shadow detail, but i dont think it's going to be anything major between the two. The LG is about £65 cheaper and definitely has the better response times overall. if you read my Gigabyte review you will see the response times are decent at 144HZ (speed mode) but if youre using VRR or a lower refresh rate, the overshoot becomes a big problem for lower refresh rates. switching down to the 'balance' mode avoids the overshoot but the response times are then not very good. Personally i think the LG is a better screen, fewer bells and whistles but better gaming performance overall

Yeah off the top of my head I remember reading that the gigabyte monitor uses the new inno IPS panel which has better colours than the previous IPS panels but at the cost of response times.

Does the LG have better colour accuracy than the gigabyte?

Also I do play on console from time to time. I think I remember reading in your article that vrr is like 48-100hz via HDMI. But can you confirm that on Xbox one X, 120hz supported via HDMI on the LG monitor?

Also which GPU did you have in your pc for calibration? Do you recommend using your ICC profile with a Navi GPU?

Soldato

Thank you for the info and the sticker update :) At first I was disappointed by the contrast then I realised the contrast is technically better then my Dell U2711 and I never had any problems with contrast on that.

EDIT: What is the difference between profiles, gamer 1, gamer 2, FPS, RTS and why would RTS even need its own profile?

Man of Honour
Yeah off the top of my head I remember reading that the gigabyte monitor uses the new inno IPS panel which has better colours than the previous IPS panels but at the cost of response times.

Does the LG have better colour accuracy than the gigabyte?

Also I do play on console from time to time. I think I remember reading in your article that vrr is like 48-100hz via HDMI. But can you confirm that on Xbox one X, 120hz supported via HDMI on the LG monitor?

Also which GPU did you have in your pc for calibration? Do you recommend using your ICC profile with a Navi GPU?

if you have a read of the reviews, the colour accuracy is compared for both. you'd probably want to consider the out of the box default setup, as well as the sRGB emulation mode when it comes to colour accuracy, gamma, white point etc. Yes, the Gigabyte uses an Innolux IPS-type panel, so it's different to the LG which has a panel from LG.Display. Both are IPS-type though with a wide DCI-P3 gamut backlight option.

Not been able to specifically test the X-box on the LG, but the instruction manual states that only 100Hz max is supported over HDMI so not sure on the limitations there.

GPU's i have an NVIDIA GTX 1080ti and an AMD RX590. you can always try the calibrated OSD settings and ICC profile and see how they look. Given the default gamma of the screen in mode 2 is pretty good, the ICC profile doesn't need to do a massive amount of correcting anyway. most improvements will come from the OSD adjustments, primarily to the RGB channels and brightness

EDIT: What is the difference between profiles, gamer 1, gamer 2, FPS, RTS and why would RTS even need its own profile?

Each mode just has preset gamma, colour, black stabilizer, sharpness settings most of which are locked in each mode. They aren't focused on accuracy as such, they are more about creating more accentuated colours/sharpness etc for gaming so you probably wouldn't want to bother profiling or calibrating them anyway :)

Associate
How often does TFTCentral measure the contrast?

From 730-930:1 I have already seen everything with the LG.

At the end we will probably find ourselves at 800-900:1?

The 34er of LG fluctuates there also, from 800:1-1025:1 I have already seen everything there.

I think that it also depends on the device and software + the settings.
If you only change a few things on the 34, the contrast will drift a lot after calibration.

But there will only be nuances between the LG and the Aorus, but Freesync is much better for the LG and the coating is better than the Aorus.

The LG is a real blessing after a lot of Innolux and AUO garbage.

Man of Honour
How often does TFTCentral measure the contrast?

From 730-930:1 I have already seen everything with the LG.

Sorry what do you mean "how often"? that contrast ratio was checked on multiple different occasions during the testing period and remained consistent. This was done after a suitable backlight "warm up" time by the way

I think that it also depends on the device and software + the settings.

OSD settings definitely have an impact. for instance out of the box the default gamma mode 2 shows a contrast around 840:1, but modes 1/3/4 all show closer to 1000:1. However, thats only because the gamma curve is messed up in those other modes, and by the time you've calibrated the screen, corrected the gamma curve and corrected the white point, you end up with the same result. The 848:1 in the review is AFTER calibration. Black point measurements will vary from measurement device to device, but we use an X-rite i1 Display Pro which is very reliable in this area, which i've also validated against several other instruments in the past for consistency. I'm not sure which device rtings.com use though, but their CR measurements are often much lower, which makes me wonder if they are using a less quality device/fault device perhaps. regardless, for the TFTCentral review, the device and software is consistent between reviews so you can compare the LG to the Gigabyte for instance easily.

If you only change a few things on the 34, the contrast will drift a lot after calibration.

well yes, if you start messing around with the OSD settings you will impact various things, and move away from the calibration. like i say, the figure recorded is in a consistent calibrated state

Back
Top Bottom