Always wear your safety glasses/goggles.

Soldato
glasses haven't been real glass for ages now but still not as protective as real goggles.

Hmm... Maybe I should invest in some proper protective glasses. I always grab a pair of old cheap sunglasses that have a minimal tint as they fitted better then the protective glasses I have and I can see better through them...

Soldato
I use an angle grinder everyday at work and now I need to wear glasses it really annoying that spec savers no do any safety glasses that suitable for this kind of work
As goggles no fit over my glasses..:(:mad:

Soldato
I use an angle grinder everyday at work and now I need to wear glasses it really annoying that spec savers no do any safety glasses that suitable for this kind of work
As goggles no fit over my glasses..
these were fine: 1 X voltX 'Overspecs' Industrial Safety Over Glasses - CE EN166f certified (Yellow Lens) - individually adjustable temples - antifog, scratch resistant, U
Sold by StraightLines
£7.49…

I was goong to ask - if you are in a professional environment with a drill press say would glasses cut it though, versus goggles ? maybe they all have some protective shield on them though.

Soldato
As goggles no fit over my glasses..:(:mad:

Search for NoCry over-glass safety specs. I have 2 pairs that fit fine over my glasses. I don’t wear them all day, but they’re perfectly comfortable under ear protection for an hour or so.

Soldato
these were fine: 1 X voltX 'Overspecs' Industrial Safety Over Glasses - CE EN166f certified (Yellow Lens) - individually adjustable temples - antifog, scratch resistant, U
Sold by StraightLines
£7.49…

I was goong to ask - if you are in a professional environment with a drill press say would glasses cut it though, versus goggles ? maybe they all have some protective shield on them though.
Search for NoCry over-glass safety specs. I have 2 pairs that fit fine over my glasses. I don’t wear them all day, but they’re perfectly comfortable under ear protection for an hour or so.
Thanks Guys but the ones I need have to be EN166 B rated

• S – 12 meters per second small object impact rating.
  • F – 45 meters per second small object impact rating.
  • B – 120 meters per second small object impact rating.
  • A – 190 meters per second small object impact rating.
  • T – Can be used in extreme temperatures.

Associate
i always put my safety glasses on and cut resistant gloves too

smashed up some concrete steps once and had a small lump of it fly up and luckily just hit my cheek could have been a lot worse, worn them ever since.

and toe caps, i have no toe nail on my left big toe because i didn't wear toe protection when moving a wheelbarrow in the garden.

Soldato
Cut resistant gloves are a must when working with glass, which I found out the hard way. I was wearing those bog standard rubber coated builder gloves and jabbed the back of my hand on some glass, which cut through one of the tendons on the back of my hand. Ended up off work for 6 weeks, which was 6 weeks lost wages as I was self employed :(. Always wear kevlar gloves and arm sleeves now when messing with glass.

But they don't protect against broken SDS drill bits, which I also found out the hard way when one broke and the end still in the drill went straight through my little finger. Luckily it didn't damage the tendon too much and just had to have antibiotics.

Soldato
When using power tools such as a jigsaw, drill etc I'd recommend safety glasses and a set of goggles over the top for added protection. As good as specs are, there are still gaps that a stray object could get past. I had a bench vice explode as I was trying to press out a stuck suspension bush. The socket being used to press out the bush flew up directly at my eye and deflected off the specs. Eyesight saved in that eye.

If you're using things such as a grinder/cutter then wear the specs and add a face visor also.

My last visor is a mess so I'm off to order another one.

Never take risks with your own health ans safety!

Soldato
I had a drill bit fail once and fly about an inch past my cheek, that was pretty scary. Since then I wear the gogg's.

Oh lord that reminds me of something that happened in metalwork class at college... this silly girl turned on the large floor standing metal drill without taking the chuck key out first it flew across the large room and whistled past my ear

I count myself lucky as I'm pretty sure that I got a plastic splinter in my eye from using an edge strimmer without any glasses/goggles. That was 2 weeks of thinking I had eye strain and itching, followed by a trip to the opticians and being told to go to hospital immediately, where they rushed me through and the lead optometrist got it out with a needle. It was right in the center of my eye..

You definitely need eye protection at least when using strimmers and brush cutters especially and preferably some kind of visor and not not just for sharp objects but hitting hidden dog faeces and having that splatter all over your face...

i always put my safety glasses on and cut resistant gloves too

smashed up some concrete steps once and had a small lump of it fly up and luckily just hit my cheek could have been a lot worse, worn them ever since.

and toe caps, i have no toe nail on my left big toe because i didn't wear toe protection when moving a wheelbarrow in the garden.

I would have put a fork through my foot if it weren't for toecaps and even had a van wheel run over my toes... steel toecaps are a must. Watching the other guys face turn completely white was interesting, i was fine. Stepfather was chopping logs once wearing only regular wellies... it didn't end well. That was two trips to hospital after the first failed to clear out all the debris and the stitches had to be opened again...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom