Wearable Tech

Soldato
Garmin Fenix 5 - really great data available from it, far better and more accurate than the Apple watch I had.
is there a known technology difference between their optical sensors ? it had seemed apple had come up with an innovation with their (contact/wired) ecg mechanism, but I don't know if that can work for sport

Interesting to load the hrm data into excel and compare with apps, to see significance of peaks

I think my/the Endomondo graphs are wrong, but looking at the raw/gpx data in excel (loads directly as xml file!) , there are hr samples about every two seconds, and looked like below, did a moving average in red.
I'll try the algorithm from the last ref - but as I say, I am wondering what the significance of any measures over a short period really is

hs4_zps08oyjxj6.jpg%7Eoriginal

the article does not seem to compare 'accuracy' of wrist vs strap (but would have thought an electrical/strap measure would be more accurate - moving arms around as you run must impact wrist measure ?)

Commissario
When I ride my bike, I wear the Garmin heart rate monitor chest strap and also have my Apple Watch running. When I compare them afterwards, they're always within a couple of beats of each other.

Soldato
That's not bad if that's the case. On my ride yesterday, I think the highest the Garmin optical sensor detected was about 165 ish. I know that in some of the sprints and climbing, my HR would have easily been in the high 180s.

Soldato
Bought aGarmin Forerunner yesterday. About to take it out for a run this morning. Not convinced by it yet though - the heart rate monitor seems to be all over the place. I hope I picked the right device where you get all the maps and stats displayed on a nice web page. I might be getting confused with Strava. ‍♂️

You should be able to upload directly to Strava for the analytics. My VA3 has uploaded the stats in the time it takes to get a drink so I can sit outside for a few mins to cool down and see how well I've done. The Garmin Connect app also provides a good amount of information.

Soldato
You should be able to upload directly to Strava for the analytics. My VA3 has uploaded the stats in the time it takes to get a drink so I can sit outside for a few mins to cool down and see how well I've done. The Garmin Connect app also provides a good amount of information.

Once you link Garmin Connect app and Strava it automatically uploads it for you.

Soldato
low hanging fruit ... hadn't looked up the story when it was in the news a while back ... bit the iphone gives(gave?) you 43% more miles .. watch too ?

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41746-018-0073-x
Researchers found the iPhone’s CoreMotion Pedometer to underestimate users’ steps by a mean of just 7.2 percent (± 13.8 percent), and demonstrated a mean percent difference of 5.7 percent (± 20.5 percent) when compared to an ActiGraph GT9X Activity Monitor. On the other hand, the iPhone pedometer’s algorithm to estimate distance walked overestimated user’s travel by 43 percent (± 42 percent), which the researchers attributed to its inaccurate application of users’ stride length.

sleep stuff looks interesting, generally, but apparently an electrode - eeg would be a better approach ... don't know if I would trust huawei with that though

Commissario
low hanging fruit ... hadn't looked up the story when it was in the news a while back ... bit the iphone gives(gave?) you 43% more miles .. watch too ?
Really strange, at the end of each day, my Fitbit and Apple Watch are normally within a thousand steps of each other. For me, 10,800 steps is five miles so they agree within half a mile. It would be interesting to try them over a measured distance but frankly, I can't be arsed! I have my daily goal which I normally smash and as long as I'm comparing like for like then it doesn't really matter. It's worth noting that the watch/phone also used GPS to measure distance as well as step count.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Why does everyone need to know their heart rate so on demand, or how many steps they've taken in a day?

Unless I can use it for calls/sat nav/browsing/music etc. I don't feel the need personally, or a reason to call them "smart".

Back
Top Bottom