What you're View of a ban of Hands free mobile phone use

Soldato
Our company policy, which has been in place for several years, is no calls whatsoever when driving for company business and the recommendation is that mobiles should be turned off for the duration of the trip. This policy is in place for all sites, regardless of the country they are located in and the local laws in place.

I’d say your company is in the minority. A lot of couriers, chauffeurs, HGV drivers etc would struggle without handsfree. One of the companies I work for is known to be safety obsessed, and even they ask staff and contractors to be available on the phone. If your car isn’t fitted with handsfree, they’ll supply a device for you to use.

Man of Honour
Just install software on the phone OS that tracks how often you were driving while using the phone and fines you on a monthly basis.

Page 9 of that says "Car occupants continue to account for the largest proportion of casualties of all severities".
Ban cars.

Statistics not your strong point is it? Raw numbers that haven't be adjusted for usage variance are useless, hence why comparing against total distance travelled matters.

Most detailed studies also tend to assert that around 85% (usually more) of motorcycle incidents are caused by another vehicle, not the motorcyclist...

Which is irrelevant to the point that a motorcycle offers much less protection than a car, while fulfilling the same purpose.

What, you mean nothing we do improves road safety? But... the only variable left to change/remove is.... *gasp*.... human beings!!
How on Earth can we remove humans from the equation....? Oh, if only there were cars that drove themselves...... :)

Or you choose to retain methods that provide enhanced protection, because even driverless cars can and will still be involved in incidents. The cause of the excessive death an injury rates isn't the accident itself, but the lack of protection.

Still, if you don't want to have an evidence based approach to road safety because you don't like what the evidence says, we can continue having excess deaths and injuries and tinkering around irrelevance, it's fine.

NVP

NVP

Soldato
Guys do you think they should bring out a law to ban hand free mobile phone use in cars ?
For everyone else, yes.

If it's because it's distracting then perhaps they should ban pretty women out walking with gorillas down my street first ?

I take offence!
Sb1waOy.gif

I'm against it

Good for you. How we gonna play it? I can ask Leeroy for his shotty?

Pointless when cars are now coming with ipads installed for controls which are far worse as they can't even be operated properly without staring at them unlike tactile buttons
Church! I absolutely loath this new trend, thank god they're changing ways.

Last edited:
Soldato
I use hands free and get on ok, I tend to not pay as much attention to the call as I would if not driving and sometimes go quiet for a bit, but driving takes priority.

It's one button on the steering wheel and voice activated.

Associate
Ban them and all touchscreen technology that can be used in a car when it's moving...
I was going to mention touchscreen infotainment systems too.

I used to have a bmw with idrive, which was intuative and good. It's easy to move the cursor a few characters, check the road, then move a couple more, check road, etc. it didn't feel too distracting. Now I have a Skoda with a touchscreen, it's many times more distracting. You can't keep the cursor where it was and get back to driving, you have to physically track the target as the car hits pot-holes, bumps, people, etc. which takes longer and more concentration (whether consciously or not). I could well imagine touch-screen systems in cars being a contributor to accidents (moreso than a jog-wheel/joystick input).

Effectively a touchscreen is as distracting as a phone. We all know that texting while driving is madness, so why have an equivalent system in a car as standard? Sure, you shouldn't use the sat nav while driving, but you do, especially when there's traffic/accident and you want find an alternative route. Or when going through mp3s and trying to find the album you've suddenly remembered about.

Soldato
OP
Or when going through mp3s and trying to find the album you've suddenly remembered about.
The is the worst thing...

It used to be so much easier in the old days when you had a 6 disc changer controlled by proper buttons on a head unit..
I got stop somewhere now when I want too change the album with the touch screen in my car :(

Associate
I don't see the hands free as a problem, its certain drivers. I have followed many cars where the driver is talking to the passenger, looking at them and gesturing with their hand, they can't seem to talk and keep their eyes on the road.
How many TV programmes do you see with the presenter driving and looking at the camera on the passenger side for quite a few seconds at a time as well

Caporegime
Who needs privacy, eh?

I don't see any other way to enforce it that is viable. Get insurers to mandate it for those who are deemed highest risk of being phone users behind the wheel.

I even saw it today this morning woman on opposite side of road we are driving past her and her head was pointed at her feet / lap. It's obvious she was on her phone whilst driving.

They won't stop until they kill someone or are fined, etc.

There needs to be a deterrent a real one not just a 1 in a million chance of being caught.

Soldato
The is the worst thing...

It used to be so much easier in the old days when you had a 6 disc changer controlled by proper buttons on a head unit..
I got stop somewhere now when I want too change the album with the touch screen in my car :(

Easy on my car.
Press voice button on wheel and say
"Play (Album Name)" no need to use the screen.

Soldato
I got stop somewhere now when I want too change the album with the touch screen in my car

without voice which music apps have the best user interfaces to enable you to find stuff with minimum distraction ? are spotify, tidal etc. much of a muchness;
google maps anyway seems pretty crap in this respect.

Apparently (earlier paper I linked) they do not make the touch screen interfaces too responsive since otherwise people will keep there eyes off the road for extended periods

Back
Top Bottom