BMW 640D - First service cost?!

Soldato
The claim limit of a comprehensive policy which goes over 100k after purchase is the price of the car, not £5000!

"DriveLine: the basic level of warranty, covering the main engine, transmission and drive-train components, with a claim limit of up to £5,000"

Soldato
"DriveLine: the basic level of warranty, covering the main engine, transmission and drive-train components, with a claim limit of up to £5,000"
For cars over 100,000 when you take out the policy.

Comprehensive or named cover, both available if taking out the policy prior to 100,000 don't have the same restriction.

Man of Honour

Yes, for the most basic policy. There are two other policy types both of which happily continue beyond 100k.

Just admit you know nothing about this subject and w can move on.

Caporegime
I got mine changed at 100k miles (needed to be done for DCT sump pan change) after it had seen plenty of track action and I noticed precisely zero difference with fresh fluid in it

Would you notice an engine oil change?

The manufacturer states it should be done every 100k or 7 years. BMW however state its a lifetime fluid going against the people who have created the gearbox for them.

If you could notice a difference when it's been changed its like too late and the damage been done.

Like I said before BMW don't care because the people that own 7+ year old BMW 's don't really buy brand new ones. So if your 10 or 15 year old gearbox fails because its never been serviced they don't care. By then their target customer is no longer the owner of the car.

Same goes for brake fluid change. You change it before you can really tell the difference because if it's that bad and been cooked then your risking your brakes failing.

Soldato
You probably wouldn't notice in an auto until it's to late. In a manual when the oil need changing it starts to get difficult. You're also meant to change oil after the break-in period in most things.

Caporegime
I think you need to ask yourself. Why do you need to change an oil ?

Many older BMW M are still in a BMW warranty, so bmw still have an interest in no failures.

Caporegime
You probably wouldn't notice in an auto until it's to late. In a manual when the oil need changing it starts to get difficult. You're also meant to change oil after the break-in period in most things.
Since when did an OEM have a break in engine oil change as a common thing. Only BMW Ms have the famous Running in service due before ~1500 miles.

Caporegime
I think you need to ask yourself. Why do you need to change an oil ?

Many older BMW M are still in a BMW warranty, so bmw still have an interest in no failures.

oils break down. there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid where heat, movement and all sorts is involved. fair enough if you buy an oil and it's in a sealed container it may be okay. but if it's been exposed to heat, oxygen, etc then it will start to break down and lose it's purpose.

it's why brake fluid is recommended every 2 years because it starts to introduce water into the system. even if you don't drive the car it's still recommended you change the brake fluid minimum once every 2 years.

i've just changed mine after 3-4 years. granted it's only done 2k miles in the past 2 years though. so i'd thought i'd risk it as it doesn't do much mileage. but brake fluid is cheap anyway even the really good stuff.

so again with a transmission fluid on an expensive car like an M it costs peanuts to change for the parts. it's labour expensive.

Soldato
The manufacturer states it should be done every 100k or 7 years. BMW however state its a lifetime fluid going against the people who have created the gearbox for them.

Have you got an actual source for this. I spent a while looking for the technical literature from Getrag/Magna yesterday and couldn't find anything bar hearsay.

If you could notice a difference when it's been changed its like too late and the damage been done.

Same goes for brake fluid change. You change it before you can really tell the difference because if it's that bad and been cooked then your risking your brakes failing.

Fair point.

oils break down. there is no such thing as a lifetime fluid where heat, movement and all sorts is involved. fair enough if you buy an oil and it's in a sealed container it may be okay. but if it's been exposed to heat, oxygen, etc then it will start to break down and lose it's purpose.

Mmmm IIRC, Simon knows a thing or two about oil...

Soldato
Have you got an actual source for this. I spent a while looking for the technical literature from Getrag/Magna yesterday and couldn't find anything bar hearsay.

Its a ZF8HP gearbox and it is fairly well documented that ZF have a service interval for that series of gearboxes.

Caporegime

Fair point.

Mmmm IIRC, Simon knows a thing or two about oil...

I sent a source to BMW after BMW argued with me that it was lifetime fluid and never needed changing. I can maybe try and find it in my emails but it was 2 years ago I sent the email to their service department manager.

They then carried out the work without question.

Soldato

I took out a Comprehensive policy at around 36K, paying monthly. I can continue to do so for the rest of time and I'll still have a comprehensive policy, even if the car has 300K on it. The only thing that changes is that after 100K they no longer cover wear and tear on suspension components.

Soldato
I
I took out a Comprehensive policy at around 36K, paying monthly. I can continue to do so for the rest of time and I'll still have a comprehensive policy, even if the car has 300K on it. The only thing that changes is that after 100K they no longer cover wear and tear on suspension components.
Have the top warranty on my e92 m3 but I didn't think it covered wear and tear. Are you sure that's right?

Back
Top Bottom