help a novice spec a PC uild

Soldato
cheaper - just as power - specially if your programs just use single core performance .

better audio and silent case with some airflow !!!

Gigabyte 5700 XT has 3 yr warranty and in UK unlike other brands being only 2 and EU/outside EU

BB CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,737.10 (includes shipping: £13.20)

solid 32" 1440p 144hz monitor

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-04w-ao.html

if you dont want to pay for overclock. change cooler to Dark Rock Pro 4- enable MCE in bios and 4.9ghz across all 8 cores​

Associate
OP
You know I already had 2x of the Corsair 960GB NVMe drives in my spec? :p PCIe 4 drives are well over priced for the new novelty, they aren't worth it and don't think you would notice any real world difference.

Especially if you're trying to save the budget in places to get more performance in places you will notice it. You're literally paying double to get synthetic benchmark improvements.

Also the U12A cooler I spec'd is better at keeping the chip cooler than the U12S you dropped too. See here

According to OcUK product page, the 5700 XT Red Devil is due Fri 23/8 of course no idea if accurate, but if it's only ~1 week it's a lot of saving for similar performance. But either way, go for the 2070S if you really want it - I personally did the same just 2 weeks ago when I did my full upgrade, as I was tired of buggy AMD drivers. :D

Ahh - no I didnt notice 2 NVMe drives on your spec. Re PCI4 drives, I can get that 1T Corsair for £30 more than a 1TB Samsung 930 Pro. That seems worth it to me - however the WD drives are cheaper. Ill re-think.

Associate
OP
cheaper - just as power - specially if your programs just use single core performance .

better audio and silent case with some airflow !!!

Gigabyte 5700 XT has 3 yr warranty and in UK unlike other brands being only 2 and EU/outside EU

BB CODE
My basket at Overclockers UK:
Total: £1,737.10 (includes shipping: £13.20)

solid 32" 1440p 144hz monitor

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/aoc-...-widescreen-led-gaming-monitor-mo-04w-ao.html

if you dont want to pay for overclock. change cooler to Dark Rock Pro 4- enable MCE in bios and 4.9ghz across all 8 cores​

Not going to work for me. I DEFINATELY want the AMD 3700x CPU. Im open to the GPU and other bits - but that choice is set in stone.

Soldato
Ahh - no I didnt notice 2 NVMe drives on your spec. Re PCI4 drives, I can get that 1T Corsair for £30 more than a 1TB Samsung 930 Pro. That seems worth it to me - however the WD drives are cheaper. Ill re-think.

Not sure which drives you're referring too exactly, but for the performance and lifespan of Corsair's MP510 drives - they are best bang for buck right now.

WD SSDs are slower and lifespan are much less than the MP510, unless you mean WD's Black NVME drives? In which case they are much more expensive and not worth it.

Associate
OP
was refereing to replacing the 2 x MP510s with a standard Sata SSD and a PCIe 4 Corsair MP600. I can get a 1TD Samsung Evo SATO SSD and the 1TB PCIe 4 drive for about £35 more than the 2 MP510s. Means I have the really fast main drive, with a stock 520/mbs backup drive - but it also leaves an M2 slot for down the line should I need more - either PCIe 3 or 4. If I pick up 2 x MP510s now theres no slots left if I wanted to go PCIe4 later, without sacrificing one I buy now. Going the other route Id add to rather than replace.

Associate
OP
I get that, but the two 1TB drives I had originally looked at. £210 for a 1TB PCIe 3 and £240 for a PCIe 4. thats not a lot of difference. Granted the MP510s Ive had recommended are less at £150 AND most places have the PCIe 4s at £300. At that point I wouldnt bother.

Also - tech is tech. Cutting edge is always at a premium, prices always drop, but if you wait until tech is value, theres normally something else. PCIe 5 is already in development ffs.

At some point, you take the jump. Im building the C now, not in a few months and Ill be buggered ifI want to re-install teh OS and all my programs on a new drive. Id rather pay a little more now and have done with it. But then Im 52, have a decent budget- and If I have to stretch and extra £70 I dont have a problem with it. If I dont do PCIe 4 now - at the build - I wont do it at all.

Associate
OP
That is interesting indeed.

Price difference between 1TB Samsung Eo Pro and the PCIe inst much - less than £30. Id considered that worth it, but not if its actually slower int he real world. Hum.

Is it worth locking down my M2 slots and fitting 1 x 1TB Evo as the main drive and 1T 660p as a second. Cost wise thats about £15 less than the MP600 and 1TB of Sata SSD. OK no M2 slots left - but adding some SATA SSDs down the line for pretty much data storage should I need to wouldnt be difficult. 660p seem plenty fast enough to load with games.

Basically Id use the Evo for the OS and music production, and the 660p for games and general use - and keep my data on my external drives (I have 2 mirror'd drives). Later I can add a Sata SSD drive to move the data on for internal use, and keep a single external as a backup.

...... Or just a single M2 drive - keeping an M2 slot spare for UGs (which though, the 660p or the Evo). My current perspective builder only offers the Intel, Samsung and WD 750s unfortunately. Im waiting for an OC quite - when Id opt for the M510s (probably the pair - same price as 1 evo and 1 660p)

Man of Honour
i would get the corsair mp510 960gb.
much better value than the sammy 970 evo (plus) or the wd black sn 700/750. they're - sammy and wd - all overpriced relative to their performance.
failing that, sabrent rocket 1tb. but the warranty base is in the usa for the sabrent.
i wouldn't consider an intel 660p for your build scenario as you sound like you will do a lot of writes...and QLC nand does not have the write endurance of TLC nand.

Associate
OP
I do - however the writes would be to the main Evo (or corsair) drive, as hats where the music application would be. The 660p would old games, Word, XL, admin programs and the like - so unless using the 660p for games is a no-no I think Id be fine.

As I say though - the corsair does look like value, just not many offer it (and the one that does hasnt got any in stock).

Where does ADAT A SX6000 Pro fit? thats an option instead of the 660p

Man of Honour
The 660p would old games, Word, XL, admin programs and the like - so unless using the 660p for games is a no-no I think Id be fine.
660p has a write endurance of 0.1 drive writes per day. so lots of random I/O writes isn't great for it.
good for mass media storage (storage being the key word here)...but i guess if it's "just" light usage like word etc, then should be okay.

as always with SSDs (and most things), bigger = better

Soldato
Also - tech is tech. Cutting edge is always at a premium, prices always drop, but if you wait until tech is value, theres normally something else. PCIe 5 is already in development ffs.

I work with overpriced cutting edge hardware daily, but most of it shows the benefits in the use-case presented or it ends up literally being money flushed down the toilet, and that is not something a lot of private enterprise does.

PCI-E 4.0 drives used as a single drive on its own offers literally no benefit in your use-case, if you had two drives and were copying from one to the other then I'd agree and say go for it, but as you pointed out you have to jump in at some point, however this is just £70 wasted for nothing at all.

Lets not forget you can always add more PCI-E based storage by using an M.2 to PCI-E adapter card, and have up to four drives in one PCI-E slot if you have the space lanes.

Associate
OP
@Sparx @Journey @tamzzy

Thankyou all for your help. I placed a system order with OC this morning coming in at £1999.76 - spot on the £2k budget id set for the build (including OC building the rig, and shipping). I also ordered a Logitech G513 Keyboard, G903 hero mouse and AOC QC32G1 monitor from other sources coming in at £570 which was £30 under budget. Total all in price of £2570, just under the £2600 project budget.

I did change the drive configuration. Turns out while the 1TB MP510 is out of stock - they do a 2TB stick thats in stock - and its £20 cheaper than separate sticks. Leaves me an M2 slot spare for future upgrades (and Ill add a standard Sata SSD in a month or 3 as well). While 2 drives would be better than 1, it seems the most cost effective and fast solution for the initial build. Adding SSD, or dropping another M2 stick in isnt difficult down the line (Possibly PCIe 4 when they drop in price).

Went for 16GB ram - I an drop a couple of extra sticks in any time. Final build:

Case: Coolmaster Silencio 600 Silent
Motherboard: Asus Tuf Gaming X570 Wifi
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x
GPU: RTX2070 Super
PSU: Coursair RMX 650x 80+ Gold
Ram: 16GB 3600 Ram.
Storage: 1 x Corsair MP510 2TB NVMe M2
Cooler: Noctua NH-U12A
DVD RW (basic)
Windows 10

Again - thanks for all the advice. Just got to wait now :(

Soldato
Looks good @paulmapp8306 - I'm sure you will thoroughly enjoy that for many years to come! :D

Which 2070 Super and RAM did you go for, out of interest?

You better come back and post some in progress and completed build pics ;)

Associate
OP
Ram is standard corsair lpx

2070s is an evga. Didnt want to go for top priced boards, but did chat to oc first.

I'd not heard of evga (or a couple of others like zoltac?). Do know msi, gigabit, asos etc.

Was told evga was decent and tbh I'm not bothered about the odd fps in game.

The gpu was the one bit I wasnt hyper critical about 2070s or 5700xt .... as long as it was quiet enough (hence no 5700.

Had the red devil or pulse been available things might have changed) and cool enough (from what I've read the 2070s run cooler than any 5700xt).

I will add another 16gb ram at Christmas, and probably a 1-2 data ssd as well. I'll save the m2 slot and maybe try a pcie 4 drive in a couple of years or so.

Back
Top Bottom