Mobo for i7 960

Associate
My daughter has a PC with the i7 960 cpu, 16 GB DDR3 ram and a Radeon R7 370 graphics card. We got it at an auction and she likes it, but it freezes and reboots randomly. I'm sure it's the mobo, which is the Pegatron IPMTB-TK, and it had a recall many years ago for the above reasons.
I'd like to get a new mobo to get it running properly, but want to do this as cheaply as possible. Her fav game is Overwatch, so if I can get it to run, she will be happy.
Can you guys and gals please give me suggestions for a new mobo........
Thanks

Soldato
Hello and welcome to the forum mate.

Being honest your daughter's PC freezing issues could be a multitude of reasons: from bad drivers, a failing power supply or other hardware, to a corrupt Windows file somewhere...

Your next issue is, that CPU is 10 years old and 1366 socket motherboards have been end of life for a long time now. You would need a used mobo from Ebay or similar! Also it may not even be the mobo as already mentioned.

If you know how, it would likely be worth doing a fresh install of Windows first as a free and easy option to rule out bad drivers or corrupt Windows files, as this would also involve installing the latest up-to-date drivers.

Then just see how things go, if the problem persists, then you're likely looking at faulty hardware - i.e. power supply, motherboard or hard drive maybe.

Associate
Yeah, there's far more 1366 CPUs kicking around that boards still working well to put them in.

Auction sites probably, but you'd likely pay as much for a complete PC as for a good board.
^^^exactly this.

Not really worth it trying to get a replacement 1366 motherboard since the decent ones currently cost too much, unless you can unearth a bargain somewhere.

Associate
OP
Thanks all for the replies. I did a fresh Windows install and the hard drive is less than a year old from another rig she had ( I know, it can still be bad ;) ). Guess I will have to consider building her a new PC..........
Thanks again

Back
Top Bottom