Snow Sports Thread 2019-20

Soldato
Thought id start a new thread

Booked to go Les arcs again in Feb, Bought the new Capita Horrorscope on the last day this year so dying to get some snow on it!

Need new boots and goggles this year, my lenses were all crap on cloudy days and boot sole came away on the last day.

where is everyone heading this year?

Associate
Boots and goggles - good time to be on the hunt, as lots of discounts are usually about atm.

I think I'll get shot if I buy anymore boards/gear... Especially as I have a new board in the wrapper still...

yup, mirrored lenses look cool, but aren't that helpful on overcast days. I usually ride with a 2nd lens but this year I tried some photochromic lenses, v cool and good, just pricey :(.

After Japan epicness last winter and gaining a sprog, I'm limiting myself to Europe this winter. So far have La Plagne booked for late Dec and St Anton for mid March. I might try and get away in late Jan, but nothing planned yet.

Boots and goggles - good time to be on the hunt, as lots of discounts are usually about atm.

I think I'll get shot if I buy anymore boards/gear... Especially as I have a new board in the wrapper still...

yup, mirrored lenses look cool, but aren't that helpful on overcast days. I usually ride with a 2nd lens but this year I tried some photochromic lenses, v cool and good, just pricey :(.

After Japan epicness last winter and gaining a sprog, I'm limiting myself to Europe this winter. So far have La Plagne booked for late Dec and St Anton for mid March. I might try and get away in late Jan, but nothing planned yet.

Enjoy Plagne, we go every year. Which "village" are you booked in to?

We go March if we can, fair weather skiiers ;)

Soldato
OP

I had mirror'd and low light lenses but the low light lenses were absolute cack!

I think im going to go photochromic instead of buying cheaper to just buy another pair again.

Japan is my dream destination for boarding! maybe next year it will happen.

Associate
Enjoy Plagne, we go every year. Which "village" are you booked in to?
I think it's near the top by Plagne 1800. mid Dec is a bit unsure with snow, so higher=better in my mind, plus so early in the season the nicer locations aren't too expensive. Went there ~5 years ago, was constant white-out with the glacier closed all week, so hopefully it should be better this time...

I think im going to go photochromic instead of buying cheaper to just buy another pair again.
photochromic are ace, but also a double-edged sword. Costly, so tree runs are a little wince-inducing when brandches twang off them. Also, as they're so good, they're actually annoying when hiking... If you're hiking about, getting sweaty, a 2nd lens is great to ensure you have a clean fog free lens for riding - but the point of photochromic prevents the need for a 2nd lens, so you're um, left foggy... Resulted in me carrying around some cheapo shades for hiking and then goggles on when strapping in...
Japan is my dream destination for boarding! maybe next year it will happen.
it's honestly worth the trip... amazing place, great snow, great culture, truly epic. Did Hakuba a couple years ago with gf and a couple of her friends. Was a more relaxed experience with a trip to snow-monkeys and Nozawa fire festival. In contrast, last year went to Niseko with 7 other decent boarders, hired a minibus and travelled around between resorts depending on the day - lots of back country, hiking, exploring, etc.

Associate
Considering Les Arcs for next March. Likely 7th to 14th, take it snow conditions are generally good that time of year? Arc 1950 seems to have lots of decent accomodation available for fairly reasonable prices.

We were in Cervinia this year and the village (if you can call it that was a pain to get around)

Man of Honour
I'm trying to get a group together for another bash at Niseko. Other than that have plans for Chamonix and 3 vallyes at the mo.

Soldato
Looking at doing a week in March in Austria, staying in St. Johann cos it's cheap and the restaurants are good, doing a day in Zell Am See finishing off a couple of runs we didn't do this year, a few days in Kitzbuhel and maybe a day or two somewhere else on the train route.

Been ordered to do some indoor boarding lessons as partner in crime can do both (although I'm the better skier). May do something NYE/early Jan but undecided where at the mo...

Associate
Been ordered to do some indoor boarding lessons as partner in crime can do both (although I'm the better skier). May do something NYE/early Jan but undecided where at the mo...
Snowdomes are seasonal too - people only think about lessons close to holidays, so they're hammered Dec-March time. Whereas, at the moment they're pretty quiet, so in all honesty, try to look at lessons before Oct. Also look for deals, as there's usually loads through summer.

Soldato
Looking at doing a week in March in Austria, staying in St. Johann cos it's cheap and the restaurants are good, doing a day in Zell Am See finishing off a couple of runs we didn't do this year, a few days in Kitzbuhel and maybe a day or two somewhere else on the train route.

Assuming your options are Hemel or MK?? Happy to give you feedback on MK.

Soldato
Have a week in Mayrhofen at the end of January and 4 days in Courchevel booked for March. Hoping to add one more but note sure where yet.

New boots for me this year I think. Will probably wait until end of September and will start looking.

Soldato
Snowdomes are seasonal too - people only think about lessons close to holidays, so they're hammered Dec-March time. Whereas, at the moment they're pretty quiet, so in all honesty, try to look at lessons before Oct. Also look for deals, as there's usually loads through summer.

Assuming your options are Hemel or MK?? Happy to give you feedback on MK.

They're both about as far away as each other (I'm in SE London/NW Kent) so no preference! Definitely aware of the out-of-season prices. Was going to get started this weekend actually then do a few while said boarder is off in SE Asia for a couple of months.

Soldato
They're both about as far away as each other (I'm in SE London/NW Kent) so no preference! Definitely aware of the out-of-season prices. Was going to get started this weekend actually then do a few while said boarder is off in SE Asia for a couple of months.
Consider a membership for the year, the savings in the long run make it more then worth while.

With snowboarding do combined lessons, they do 1 then 2-3 and 4-5 together and its a much smoother flow and you get longer on the snow each session making it easier for learning to click.

The front of house staff are notoriously bad, but the instructors are awesome, so bare that in mind.

Doubtful that you would benefit from this one but members get 1 free hour of slope time every Tuesday between 4pm and 5pm.

Soldato
Consider a membership for the year, the savings in the long run make it more then worth while.

With snowboarding do combined lessons, they do 1 then 2-3 and 4-5 together and its a much smoother flow and you get longer on the snow each session making it easier for learning to click.

The front of house staff are notoriously bad, but the instructors are awesome, so bare that in mind.

Doubtful that you would benefit from this one but members get 1 free hour of slope time every Tuesday between 4pm and 5pm.

Cool. Yeah probably going to do as long as possible with lessons this Friday!

Soldato
Cool. Yeah probably going to do as long as possible with lessons this Friday!
Fridays is park night, if you are only on the learner slope then its not an issue but as a rule of thumb avoid Thursday and Friday evenings if you will be on the main slope as for a beginner the park makes it quite a challenge to get down in one piece.

Soldato
Fridays is park night, if you are only on the learner slope then its not an issue but as a rule of thumb avoid Thursday and Friday evenings if you will be on the main slope as for a beginner the park makes it quite a challenge to get down in one piece.

Not at work/on shift so I have the whole day off - going about 10am to late afternoon!

Back
Top Bottom