What film did you watch last night?

Soldato
Death of Stalin - 7/10 I had the impression this was a cringe comedy film (Cringe comedy isn't my thing). Fortunately it isn't and is actually rather good and highly amusing in places. Good performances all round.

Bumblebee - 7/10 Held off on this one but watched over the weekend. Such a shame the franchise didn't take this course from the start. Still couldn't quite bring themselves to pay true homage IMO but close enough for it not to bother me.

Soldato
Compared to Aquaman, Man of Steel is a straight masterpiece. Compared to Justice League, BvS and most of the rest it's probably around on par. Wonder Woman started off okay but almost everything after they leave the island is all over the place and not very good. I'd still put it a good way ahead of Aquaman.

Interesting how tastes differ. We at least agree that Aquaman is a steaming pile, but MoS was my least favourite DC movie previous to that. Most of their movies have the same issues tho - it's like their writers have no idea how to develop characters and certainly no idea to come up with interesting/exciting conclusions to a story. Watching things blow up for 20 minutes gets old quickly and that's pretty much DC's default. Tbh Shazam is probably the best to date. That at least tried something different and had some elements of chemistry/character development.

Soldato
Has JW3 just been released somewhere?

This thread is the easiest way to find out when something is available on certain sites. I doubt every poster in the last few pages who just watched Endgame went to the cinema and the start of their postings corresponded to the day with when it got leaked online.

Soldato
Death of Stalin - 7/10 I had the impression this was a cringe comedy film (Cringe comedy isn't my thing). Fortunately it isn't and is actually rather good and highly amusing in places. Good performances all round.

Modern classic if you ask me, anyone who enjoyed The Thick of It should enjoy it.

Soldato
Godzilla King of Monsters

Really disappointed with this, I just wasn't getting into the vibe and feel of this one. Visually stunning with great action but I still managed to be pretty bored. Shame as I liked the first one and even the one from the 90s.

PayDay Lover
Associate
Man in Steel has a lot going for it and for me is head and shoulders above everything else they've done, by an absolutely insane margin as well.

MoS, while Zod/Superman were utterly stupid to not have a, I'll give you the codex freely, just go colonise a different planet, Zod was cast brilliantly and acted superbly, as was Superman and almost everyone in the film. It had a real tonal feel throughout that felt consistent, the sound track was pretty amazing, it looked great. It's comedy moments were there but didn't feel out of place or out of tone or the moment and worked.

In Aquaman the tone isn't consistent, one moment it's trying to be dark and sinister, the next it's trying to be a rom com(the arriving in the Italian village moments were all cringeworthy crap). It missed the target on all these attempted tones, it wasn't actually funny when they tried to make it funny, it wasn't actually serious/sinister when they tried to be because Momoa can't really act, dark, brooding and not speaking he does well... trying to give a speech where he's got this kind jokey tone/cadence to his speech doesn't work.

Aquaman was poorly cast, poorly acted, tone was all over the place, dialogue was garbage and never sucked me in at all.

Compared to Aquaman, Man of Steel is a straight masterpiece. Compared to Justice League, BvS and most of the rest it's probably around on par. Wonder Woman started off okay but almost everything after they leave the island is all over the place and not very good. I'd still put it a good way ahead of Aquaman.

Funnily enough after I posted, MoS did spring to mind and I do agree it was a far superior film to Aquaman. But the others were poor and even less 'enjoyable' than Aquaman. As for Wonder Woman, I nearly turned that off due to boredom watching it.

Soldato
Into the Spider-Verse.

Beautifully put together, interesting story, great fighting - I enjoyed it. Wish it was a series to be honest, would've loved a more fleshed out story with other bad guys.

8/10 (only because I'm not that into animated films).

Associate
Once Upon a Time in Hollywood

7/10 for me. Not one I'd likely ever re-watch and prob my second least fav Tarantino film after Hateful Eight. It wasn't that great ultimately. Style over substance at times. The end was pretty cool but all came too late for me. Too slow to begin with and needed a better story. And again as others have said.. great if you like feet ;)

Associate
oh an Grosse Point Blank...just because...I have have seen it many many times

but its always worth watching again, one of my favourite films (it would be hard to seperate this or the fifth element for sheer joyful entertainment)

great story, great cast and wonderful soundtrack...and who doesnt love the thought of a hitmans union

if you are a young film fan who hasnt seen it...seek it out and bask in the nostalgia of the glorious soundtrack and the daftest shootout in a house

Must rewatch this. At the time, I thought the fight scene in the school was one of the best ever put to film!

it probably is...but its not really an action film so it seems unfair to judge....even more so with the comical shootout...seeing Dan akroyd shoot two guns seems so wrong.

This is also one of my favorite movies. benny the jet urquidez who plays the baddy in the school fight scene was John cusacks kick boxing instructer and has a amazing fight record.

The scene from Wheels on meals gets praised highly as being one of the best martial arts movie fight in which he stars oppisite Jackie Chan.

Caporegime
Hotel Mumbai.

Everyone's hanging out at the Hotel Mumbai, and it's all pretty cool until a bunch of terrorists attack! Staff and guests are slaughtered in their thousands as the rabid nutters sweep each floor, while the hopelessly outgunned local police stand outside like a bunch of second hand turnips.

While most movies of this sort focus on the battle between terrorists and authorities, Hotel Mumbai is all about the hostages and their desperate bid for survival. There's even some guy in a turban, which I thought was very exotic!

Based on the 2008 Mumbai attacks, and with high production values made possible by a generous grant from Deutsche Telefunken, this controversial Indian/Australian collaboration punches well above its weight.

I rate Hotel Mumbai at on 26.64 the Haglee Scale, which works out as a rampaging 8/10 on IMDB.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom