DSG Gearbox - Emergency mode

Soldato
Hey,
Anyone with a DSG box had this before?

6hra into a 7hr journey from Nottingham to Lancaster and my Golf R started to feel funny. It didn't know what gear to be in, felt very indecisive, then shifts were erratic, building revs between gears... Came to a roundabout on the A50 and felt the car clunking and jolting slightly on the downshifts.

Pulled it into a carpark, called the RAC out and mechanic thinks one of the clutches in the dual clutch system, but not safe 5o continue driving on, so sat waiting for a flatbed recovery truck now.

Had the ODB port report email to me by the RAC:

System Type: GEARBOX
Name: GEARBOX - DIAGNOSE
DTC: P176B00,Gear shift 2, stuck.
DTC: P189800,Clutch 1, function restriction
DTC: P189900,Clutch 1, function restriction

Anyone able to interpret or speculate as to the wider issue?

Car is a 2017 Mk7.5 Golr R, 7 speed DSG

Any help appreciated!
Thanks

Soldato
The DSG oil change is every 40k miles, maybe get that done and see if the issue remains. Alternatively if there is any warranty with VW see what they say. Their 7 speeds are notoriously dodgy and may offer a goodwill replacement.

Soldato
The DSG oil change is every 40k miles, maybe get that done and see if the issue remains. Alternatively if there is any warranty with VW see what they say. Their 7 speeds are notoriously dodgy and may offer a goodwill replacement.
The notoriously dodgy 7 speeds are the low torque dry clutch boxes, not the wet clutch box on a 7.5R.

It's in warranty so they should be fixing it regardless, nevermind goodwill.

Soldato
The notoriously dodgy 7 speeds are the low torque dry clutch boxes, not the wet clutch box on a 7.5R.

It's in warranty so they should be fixing it regardless, nevermind goodwill.

Ah good point.

My money is on the mechatronic.

I hope it's not the same issue they've had for the last 10+ years with these boxes. IIRC the oil ends up becoming conductive and fries the mechatronic unit.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
If it is, remove it quick.
Although, who maps a two year old golf R?

Once the ECU has been mapped doesn't matter if it's reflashed to stock, they can still detect it and flag it.

My boss mapped his brand new 18 plate S3 about a week after taking delivery

Brave, especially if he doesn't own the car (PCP/lease) and he has effectively voided his warranty. It's the reason I'm reluctant to map my car, these modern German cars are complex and I just can't be bothered with issues. Warranty and peace of mind are more important than a little more power.

Hold your ground with them is all I'll say. Let us know how you get on.

He won't have an issue under warranty, they will repair it even if it means a brand new gearbox.

Soldato
I had similar codes with the other clutch, VW replaced the box.

It had went in limp mode doing a flat out shift 1st to 2nd only after swapping the box did I realise the fault must had been building up as it shifted much better.

I assume it’s still under warranty ? As the facelift isn’t quite 3 years old yet.

Soldato
To the post about mapping new cars my local dealer estimated over 50% of Golf Rs they had in for service were mapped or had signs of tunning boxes :eek:

It’s just the type of car big gains for a small outlay and more likely to be owned by enthusiasts.

It’s a mine field with 2nd hand cars you could end up with an ex lease 2 year old Golf R with a TD1 flag invalidating the drive chain warranty and not know about it until you need to claim.

Soldato
To the post about mapping new cars my local dealer estimated over 50% of Golf Rs they had in for service were mapped or had signs of tunning boxes :eek:

It’s just the type of car big gains for a small outlay and more likely to be owned by enthusiasts.

It’s a mine field with 2nd hand cars you could end up with an ex lease 2 year old Golf R with a TD1 flag invalidating the drive chain warranty and not know about it until you need to claim.

Did they say whether they flat out refused warranties on them or how they proved the map? It would be an interesting dilemma if you managed to buy something Approved Used which had been mapped!

Soldato

Hardly surprising when you consider the £/performance gain. I could get my 140 mapped for £600, which will give another 100hp!

I remember back in the day of owning a Clio 182, a set of throttle bodies were around £2k, and you'd be lucky to get more than 20hp!

Back
Top Bottom