The Tesla Thread

Soldato
Does the Tesla charger qualify for the £500 grant? I heard that it didn't but can't confirm.

Nope it doesn't sadly. The button to unlock the charge port is handy plus if there is a fault, Tesla can remote into the car and run a diagnostic on the charger which I thought would be helpful.

Have those of you who got a Tesla got it through PCP? I'm looking at Zen.auto for leasing 2 years as quite a good price.

Business Contract Hire here through Drive Electric - 4 years, 12,000 miles for about £620 I think inc. VAT

Soldato
Hmm not even that long I'm embarrassed to say as I placed my order on the evening of the 7th August and picked my allocated car up 6 working days later on the 15th August. It was a rush to confirm the PCP, sell my i3 to cover the remaining deposit, confirm the insurance with LV and then take a day off and travel by train to West Drayton to pick it up!

:o I'm gonna go for a walk... ordered 1st May and had zero communication since. They're saying mid-September for my SR+ from West Drayton...

Associate
Would I have to be completely insane to consider one of these as a 40k per year mileage private hire replacement for my 2012 Skoda Superb?

I'd be saving around £5k per year in fuel as a start, just not sure about likely long term reliability.

Soldato
Would I have to be completely insane to consider one of these as a 40k per year mileage private hire replacement for my 2012 Skoda Superb?

I'd be saving around £5k per year in fuel as a start, just not sure about likely long term reliability.
More space for luggage, no clutch, dmf, injectors, turbo, exhaust, yada yada

If you have a company 0% BIK (not sure of it's applicable for cabs)

You should get the long range though as I suspect you will use charging stations frequently.

Soldato

I think you'd need to wait a bit for the service centers to get a bit better in the UK, as if something went wrong you can't be without your job for xx weeks. :)

Soldato

No, absolutely not and you'd certainly want long range. It's worth looking at the location of local superchargers for your common routes to see what's available as the biggest strength of a Tesla compared to other EVs is the supercharger network.

Tesla servicing seems really hit and miss from what I've seen. On one hand you hear stories of mobile rangers visiting a car in a car park to make repairs whilst the owner is at work miles away and then you have situations where Tesla stop all phone calls to service centres and instead you have to e-mail or use their mobile app for communication.

It seems as though they have good ideas but don't properly implement them.

Associate
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd be looking at the base model SR+, as my shifts generally top out around 120-140 miles per shift.

Public charging would almost never be used as I'd charge on the driveway overnight (probably on an Economy 7 tariff as it would be much cheaper) and the range given every morning would more than suffice. 95% of my driving is around town too, which hopefully is good news for battery longevity.

Of bigger concern would be repairs and maintenance work etc. Would it really be a case of waiting a long time for Tesla to get it fixed? Could be a deal breaker, unfortunately.

Soldato
Of bigger concern would be repairs and maintenance work etc. Would it really be a case of waiting a long time for Tesla to get it fixed? Could be a deal breaker, unfortunately.

I was thinking along the lines of some plonker hitting you and waiting ages for parts etc. rather than a warranty issue which can bee booked in when you need it to be. Maintenance is not really needed, beyond filters and tyre changes.

Soldato
Thanks for the feedback guys. I'd be looking at the base model SR+, as my shifts generally top out around 120-140 miles per shift.

Public charging would almost never be used as I'd charge on the driveway overnight (probably on an Economy 7 tariff as it would be much cheaper) and the range given every morning would more than suffice. 95% of my driving is around town too, which hopefully is good news for battery longevity.

Batteries last a long period of time, Model S owners have done 200,000+ miles and degradation is little. Batteries and the management is something Tesla looks to have beaten everyone else on.

Bare in mind that colder weather normally means less miles too.

One chap online hit a dear in his Model S and needed a new bonnet, bumper, light and wing or something along those lines. Took over 3 months for the car to be repaired.

Soldato
Nope it doesn't sadly. The button to unlock the charge port is handy plus if there is a fault, Tesla can remote into the car and run a diagnostic on the charger which I thought would be helpful.

On top of the button the other advantage of the Tesla charger is they have the ability to daisy chain chargers off the same supply. They communicate with each other and load share. Very useful if you haven’t got much headroom in your consumer unit, if the cost to install is very high or the grant goes away.

Plus you aren’t sharing data with the charger provider if that’s a concern of yours.

Soldato

Keeping the battery at high or low SOC is not good and constant rapid charging is also detrimental but it is relative to the fact that they loose so little range over 10s of thousands of miles. So operating between say 20% and 80% would be ideal. Tesla states in the manual that keeping the car plugged in is better so the BMS can maintain the battery cells.

That's different to how I charged my i3 which would require a 90-100% charge most days to be confident enough range each day. The BMW advice was to set a charge time 3 hours before departure time (that's actual and very useful setting) so the battery can be pre-conditioned for maximum range. Especially on cold winter days which also helped to defrost the car completely in conjunction with the HVAC.

Samsung rated the i3 battery pack at 20% loss over 20 years! As far as I can tell I had the same range as the day I bought almost exactly a year ago. I calculated a 4% loss from the 22kwh battery pack after 42K miles and 4 years.

The most reported failure on the i3 after some initial charge port issues on the first cars was the range extending petrol engine :)

Another positive is the free recovery included for punctures and warranty related failures. That lasts 4 years. Servicing is as required with some suggested periods and I believe they prefer it to be arranged via the car service menu.

Back
Top Bottom