Android phone bricked by "security feature"?

Soldato
Who forgets a Google account?

If you can't take a note of an account as important as that, you shouldn't be allowed a smartphone.

My details are backed up in a password protected RAR and on a usb stick located in my safe...

Soldato
You can bet your bottom dollar those same people don't forget their IOS details and have all the necessary recovery options for that ;)

Caporegime
OP
I just want an easy life, a device that I know I can factory reset whatever happens to it.

I don't need to know my computers password to reformat my computer, the same should apply to a phone.

If the device is encrypted FRP does nothing for data security, if your phone is nicked and the thief can't factory reset it, your phone is still nicked at the end of the day so what purpose does it actually serve?

Soldato
You can. Remove the account from the phone before you factory reset like the phone tells you to. It's easy. FRP is activated only when you reset via recovery mode and if you're using that then you should really be capable of remembering an email address.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
You can. Remove the account from the phone before you factory reset like the phone tells you to. It's easy. FRP is activated only when you reset via recovery mode and if you're using that then you should really be capable of remembering an email address.

The whole point of using recovery mode is that you can restore a device that isn't working correctly, which is precisely the situation when you are most likely to encounter problems which would prevent you signing into the google account.

Windows doesn't have this flaw, so there's no reason for Android to.

Soldato
The whole point of using recovery mode is that you can restore a device that isn't working correctly,

The point of using recovery in this context is to restore a device that doesnt boot. Factory reset through settings is for a device that isnt working correctly.

Look, FRP is only a problem if you forget your email address. Otherwise it does exactly what it's supposed to. Theres no excuse for setting up a device with an email account you cant remember or be bothered to note down somewhere. It's just nonsense and theres no excuse for it.im sorry you feel that way about FRP but in my view your opinion is illogical. FRP would never affect you because I doubt you'd forget your details, right? Why so negative then? Very strange opinion.

Last edited:
Caporegime
OP
The point of using recovery in this context is to restore a device that doesnt boot. Factory reset through settings is for a device that isnt working correctly.

Look, FRP is only a problem if you forget your email address. Otherwise it does exactly what it's supposed to. Theres no excuse for setting up a device with an email account you cant remember or be bothered to note down somewhere. It's just nonsense and theres no excuse for it.im sorry you feel that way about FRP but in my view your opinion is illogical. FRP would never affect you because I doubt you'd forget your details, right? Why so negative then? Very strange opinion.

Well no, because faulty network connectivity is a reason you might factory reset a device.

As a software designer I'm highly against undocumented features that go against the expected behaviour from the user.

It simply makes no logical sense to have a system that cripples the users device with no user warning, that's bad software design pure and simple. What reason would you possibly have for not informing a user at setup that FRP was in effect? Simply none at all. This is simply blaming the user for bad software design.

It's a fallacy to suggest I should have no negative opinion of something because it wouldn't directly affect me.

Last edited:
Soldato
Apple doesn't warn about activation lock either, so why would Google?

Google accounts have multiple recovery options, it's the users fault if they didn't set them up or take note of any of the details.

Soldato
Well no, because faulty network connectivity is a reason you might factory reset a device.

Which can be done through settings and without going near recovery.

It's a fallacy to suggest I should have no negative opinion of something because it wouldn't directly affect me.

Why? You bought your own devices in to the discussion. As I recall, you want to move away from android because of features like this - features that wont ever stop you doing anything. It doesnt make sense. But then again nothing much in this thread does.

Last edited:
Soldato
It's definitely a new one on me for somebody moaning about a security feature designed to stop people from just being able to steal and wipe a phone and use it straight away :D:rolleyes:

Caporegime
OP
Which can be done through settings and without going near recovery.

It wouldn't have occurred to me to go through settings prior to this incident because there is no warning about FRP, at installation or at the factory reset prompt and it's more expedient to factory reset a glitchy phone through the bootloader from past experience, and judging by the number of phones bricked at one company alone it seems no one else has a second thought about it either because earlier versions of Android led users to expect this not to be a problem.

Why? You bought your own devices in to the discussion. As I recall, you want to move away from android because of features like this - features that wont ever stop you doing anything. It doesnt make sense. But then again nothing much in this thread does.

Why?! Why would someone care about someone being negatively affected by something, are you for real?

It's definitely a new one on me for somebody moaning about a security feature designed to stop people from just being able to steal and wipe a phone and use it straight away :D:rolleyes:

Well that is certainly a naive view. What it's designed to do and what it actually does are two different things. I know that this has cost many users their phones, while I would be willing to bet it has not saved a single one from being stolen considering that just by following a youtube video you can bypass it.

You don't see me complaining about other security software like say Windows Bitlocker because A) it actually works, and B) there is a warning spelled out to users as clear as day.

It's a rational criticism of FRP to say that users are not adequately warned about it at setup or factory reset and that it is ineffective because it isn't well known enough to be a theft deterrent and it is easy to bypass for those that do know about it. On the other hand it is irrational to blame the user for a newly introduced undocumented feature that "broke" their £800 phone. Even if you are a fan of Android you can't justify the shortcomings of this "feature".

Last edited:
Soldato
It wouldn't have occurred to me to go through settings prior to this incident
Recovery is the nuclear option; the last resort, Energize. You shouldn't be in there unless you know what you are doing and more to the point, all those employees factory resetting their own business phones shouldnt be either. Where did they get that idea? There's a reason recovery is only available by booting the phone with a button combination pressed ...

Anyway, blame your inept IT department for not managing the phones correctly as I said at the beginning. First one...ok, rookie error. Again and again and again? Sack them off because they clearly aren't doing their job.

You know, google has a help page on factory resetting an android device. You know what step one is? Know the Google account username and password on your device.

Edit: oh, fun fact - I cant speak for every android phone out there but Samsung A and S series phones at the very least DO tell you you might need the account details after you factory reset when choosing that option in recovery. Your own A70 will say that, Energize.

Last edited:
Soldato
What phone is it?

When I bought a Hauwei p9 lite off ebay it arrived in this state and despite the goodwill of the seller in sending me his google account details I could not access the phone. Anyway I had a look around on the net and for the P9 Lite there was a simple hack where the user could access the phone via a menu button on the google login page. From there it was easy to get the phone going via access to google account manager.

So it might be worth googling to see if there is a similar flaw in your phone.

Back
Top Bottom