Who here owns a Subaru?

Soldato
OP
So my old blob STi was modified more and definitely abused more than the blob WRX I had right before it. I honestly contribute that to the fact that I didn't worry about the gearbox though. But that's not to say the 6 speed isn't bullet proof. My dad's modified bug WRX has gone through 4 gearboxes because of stripped gears. My blob STi suffered from a common synchro issue on 4th gear - the cost of repair on the STi was more than 4 on the WRX (2 under warranty, 2 done by ourselves with a 2nd hand box).

Servicing and running costs - can't say I noticed the difference but I wasn't keeping track. The Sport I had before the WRX and STi kept eating lambda sensors so ruined fuel economy anyway. :D

If you're not modifying the WRX try and find a good blob WRX with PPP. 265bhp and a nice car to daily, standard WRXs just lack a bit of lustre. Otherwise do yourself a favour and do the exhaust/remap route as it really does wake up the car, even with a very conservative map.

Soldato
Check facebook a few good prices on there... Found 2 widetracks for £8k. Some nice classics on there too.

Worth a gander.

Have had a look and seen a couple.

Found a decent uk300 bodywork is really good..downside is it's not stock. Has a sti engine Ej207?, but blob 5 speed box. Mapped to apparently 315ish. Sti brakes with big willwood or other discs. Seems a clean car and the guy seems genuine. No rust either which is a bonus. I might view it just to see if it's worth a punt.

But yeah a WRX with ppp I think would be ideal personally. Just difficult to find a uk300 as I really like those the most just because they're not as common as blobs or bug wrxs.

Last edited:
Soldato
I'm struggling to believe that you drove both in the same style?

I think based on the miles I was doing in it (it was my only car until I got the MG) it was very easy to gauge the fuel economy very quickly.

I was filling up every 3-4 days, doing mainly motorway miles and there was definitely a difference of around 60 miles per tank.

Not saying I didn't drive the STi harder than the WRX but the figures were consistent between the cars. Now the STi is a 2nd car I probably get around 200 miles to a tank average :D

Soldato
So as my hunt for a decent Subaru continues because it's a buyer's market at the moment. I'm relatively adamant I can find a decent example for my budget.

I have found a bug type UK sti. All be it not in the blue I want (silver), guy seems genuine and it's around 92k miles full history etc. Very small patch of rust on the rear arch but that's it apparently. But it's pretty much stock.

Or I really like the uk300 with the sti engine/brakes..but it's still got the 5spd box and diff. Really clean car, no rust plus the subframes have been replaced.

Similar prices on both what would you guys do?

Soldato
Yeah it would be the most sensible approach. There is a guy in scnet selling a blob dccd for £6k on the auto trader I'm surprised he hasn't sold it yet. Looks a great car. But mileage like the uk300 is 121kish.

Soldato
£6k for a widetrack STi... surely even with 120k they have to be worth more than that!

In terms of the EJ207'd UK300, I'm not sure I'd trust a 5 speed box to last very long when mated to that engine. The 6 speed box is loads of fun to use too, the gear shift is very very nice and the gearing very short. You'll get through the first 4 gears in no time at all which makes it very involving to drive.

Soldato
£6k for a widetrack STi... surely even with 120k they have to be worth more than that!

In terms of the EJ207'd UK300, I'm not sure I'd trust a 5 speed box to last very long when mated to that engine. The 6 speed box is loads of fun to use too, the gear shift is very very nice and the gearing very short. You'll get through the first 4 gears in no time at all which makes it very involving to drive.

Owners bought a new car so I think he's desperate to shift it. Very cheap for what looks a clean car (judging by photos).

Yeah, the owner of the uk300, has replaced the gearbox and diff (used items), only because the previous gearbox had a very small audible whine. It's off putting as the rest of the car looks great, pod cluster/sti interior etc.

I think like sovietspybob said, the sti would be a better purchase just incase if it goes wrong and I don't plan to fix it I'll have better chance of recouping the money.

That being said, insurance and fuel isn't that much of a difference for me to warrant the uk300 if I can get the sti for cheaper than advertised.

Just a shame they're quite a distance from where I am at the moment.

Soldato
Have you enquired about that blob STi or is the milage putting you off? I think you'll be very hard pushed to find a better car for the money.

Fwiw, I know of a blob widetrack in daily use, currently on 170k miles and not very well looked after but keeps on going. Don't think it's been washed in 3 years either.

Soldato
Have you enquired about that blob STi or is the milage putting you off? I think you'll be very hard pushed to find a better car for the money.

I may drop him a text tonight. If it was a bug id be even more tempted. But I find it strange that he's had it for sale over the last month and it not have been sold. You can find the add on snet for sale section. It wasn't that expensive to begin with tbh.

I've never really been put off by mileage, I care more so for work done/mechanicals.

Soldato
OP
With regards to the rear arch rust, just do yourself a favour and ask if you can check the plastic/fabric panelling in the boot to look at the arches from there. The rust isn't always apparent just from the outside, as you'd probably expect!

Soldato
With regards to the rear arch rust, just do yourself a favour and ask if you can check the plastic/fabric panelling in the boot to look at the arches from there. The rust isn't always apparent just from the outside, as you'd probably expect!

Thanks for that. Have asked the guy with the bug sti for those. Hes sent me pictures of the rust on the rear arches. Only a bubble on both sides. Doesn't look bad from the outside...

Only did I notice in the picture (has been a weekend car), he has hifly tires on it..alloys need a refurb too.

Soldato
Yeah i'd be seriously looking at the widetrack, they've got quite a few better bits again, the DCCD in them makes a real difference and like the other STi all the bits are worth a pretty penny if it does all go wrong and you need money back from it.

Back
Top Bottom