• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Will we see 9600k drop below £200 again on OCUK?

Soldato
Not that long ago i saw 9600k for just under £200, will we see this again anytime soon? Bare in mind it was for the bare chip only but for most of us we won't need the standard cooler anyway.

I'm still holding out on upgrading...

Associate
Well if its just to drop in and have as little hassle with replumbing then... suppose its ok but lets be honest here its crap.
Maybe save for a bit more and do the whole lot and move to a 3600x or 3700. Huge improvement.

Soldato
OP
Well if its just to drop in and have as little hassle with replumbing then... suppose its ok but lets be honest here its crap.
Maybe save for a bit more and do the whole lot and move to a 3600x or 3700. Huge improvement.

I've been pondering on this since the new Ryzen release :(, i do want one but yes but for as little hassle as possible i see myself swaying more to the intel chip as its literally drop in and done.

On another hand, with AMD would i need to clear out old Intel drivers or will windows 10 do this automatically? I noticed when i did a reinstall that windows 10 basically reinstalled all the latest drivers for me without me having to do a thing which i thought was handy!

Associate
If your doing a rebuild then 100% always do a fresh windows build, its not worth the hassle.
Windows 10 drivers are crap, always go to the manufacturers site and download the latest ones, your leaving performance sitting on the table without them.

Associate
Is it really that bad for just pure gaming?
For pure gaming the 9600k is slightly faster than the 3600 in the majority of currently released games. It might start to lag behind a little bit in future releases due to the lower thread count, and of course it falls behind in most non-gaming tasks, but it's not "crap" for gaming, especially if you're just wanting to drop it into an existing Intel system.

Soldato
For pure gaming the 9600k is slightly faster than the 3600 in the majority of currently released games. It might start to lag behind a little bit in future releases due to the lower thread count, and of course it falls behind in most non-gaming tasks, but it's not "crap" for gaming, especially if you're just wanting to drop it into an existing Intel system.

Thankfully someone’s talking common sense .

‘Junk’ and ‘crap’ are interesting terms which only highlight the posters lack of knowledge especially like you say it’s faster in the majority of titles compared to the cpu people are recommending and can be dropped into an existing system.

** Your inflammatory comments have been removed by the moderation team **

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
As someone with 9600K they aren't crap and are actually decent gaming chips, the problem is that they might not last that much longer, if consoles use more than 6 cores for gaming, though they're rumoured to be 8, with 2 cores reserved for the OS, so maybe 6 cores will still be enough for a bit longer.

I didn't do my research at the time of getting it though I don't really regret buying it in a cheap bundle deal, but at the time of buying an 8700k was a better deal even if more expensive and a 3600 or above is a better deal now. Even if you've got a water block, you might really be better off selling it and spending more and getting a 8700k or about the same for a 3600 and motherboard.

So they're not crap, but as someone who owns one, there's definitely better options, the first really cheap 8700K I see I'll probably get to replace it, that's what I should have got in the first place most likely.

TrM

TrM

Associate
buying a new cpu that fits into exsisting setup is never a bad idea but im guessing this is more due to cooling then Exsisting motherboard since the 8500k and 9600k is not much of a upgrade really but the 9600k at the moment really does seem like a bad investment. with the 3600 offering very similar perofmrance to a 8700k in nearly everything they do from main cumputer workloads to haveing more threads for when u really need them. Most if not all watercooling cpu blocks sells am4 kits for such a low price and if im guessing right that you will require a new motherboard b450 = better value then a z390 motherboard. But if you set on intel cpu The try to save that bit extra and get a 8700k or a 9700k will allow for a better pc experiance overall and also will be better going forward.

im not going to try to convert someone who is dead against geting amd we see it all the time people are either loyal to a certain brand or just dont fully understand whats in front of them intel amd nvidia samsung apple etc do a very good job of convincing people they are what they need and people fall for marketing and youtube reviews and everythinmg else they use to sell you the product.

thats the thing though i know people will allways say this but its still the facts that the cpu is only faster when you are not gpu bound though. amd have done a lot to catch intel in single tread performance And un less you have a the mightist of graphic cards you wont see that intel extra speed and who pairs a 2080ti with a 9600k or 3600/x? most of the people i have seen with a 2080ti will have a top cpu either i9 or higher or ryzen 7/9. anything lower and the ryzen 3600 and 9600k will be on level playing fields. You have also said that in future titles it might start to lag behind Im sure it willl lag behind but i dont think the 3600 would be much better i think they both will fall off performance wise pritty quickly.

Thankfully someone’s talking common sense .

‘Junk’ and ‘crap’ are interesting terms which only highlight the posters lack of knowledge especially like you say it’s faster in the majority of titles compared to the cpu people are recommending and can be dropped into an existing system.

poeple will allways give recomendations on what they belive But most if not all information out there is terrible anyhow All the reviewers using a 2080ti To show performance differnce i get but people think its a fact that x cpu is fasater then y cpu due to it its simply not true. a 3600 and 9600k in a main stream system ccurrently wont see much of a differnce As not everyone has the mighty 2080ti if someone is looking at a 9600k would they really spend 1k on a gpu?.

yes in thorey a 9600k is a better gaming chip and whilst i am a amd owner and i own a 2080ti For me the intel chips dont make much sence as my pc is used for work also But in reality will a 9900k give me a much better gaming experaince then a ryzen 9 3900x?
but going back to the 9600k and 3600 would the 9600k on a midrange gpu would be pritty close since they dont have the graphic horsepower to need the extra 5% the 9600k could give in thorey.

now you can call me a amd fanboy if you want to but until 2017 someone sujested a amd cpu i would have laughed at them ryzen changed that really

Last edited by a moderator:
Caporegime
the simple answer is just wait for new intel refresh. amd new chips just have too many issues to out way what they gained. when you can plug in a simple intel cpu which just works and for gaming on the whole will be quicker. new revisions of intel cpus will be from christmas onwards. wait till then.

Soldato
Wait for the 3950X to drop and 3900X stock to normalise as available. 9900KS may have intel restructure their pricing as AMD have done well with the Zen 2 release and taken considerable market share this quarter. Maybe BIOS's and AGESA releases for Zen2 may give a performance bump. Assess, then get your wallet ready.

Caporegime
9600K wins 4.
3600/X wins 2.
2 draw.

But the margins are so small win / lose its academic really.

IMO the 9600K is good enough if its going to be prohibitively expensive to switch platforms, i will agree tho the 3600 has much better performance longevity.

Soldato
i do want one but yes but for as little hassle as possible i see myself swaying more to the intel chip as its literally drop in and done.

Your signature implies you have a 3770K which is an 1155 socket. A 9600K is socket 1151 so it won't be a drop in replacement. You'd need a new motherboard and RAM.
Is the signature correct or are you running something newer than that?

If you are coming from a 3770K then this is a no brainer, go for a 3600 as you'd need a board and RAM regardless.

Associate
the simple answer is just wait for new intel refresh. amd new chips just have too many issues to out way what they gained. when you can plug in a simple intel cpu which just works and for gaming on the whole will be quicker. new revisions of intel cpus will be from christmas onwards. wait till then.

This^^. Even though your on 1155 socket, I’d wait to see what Intel has coming. AMD’s stuff whilst awesome for multithreaded work and playing Cinebench :D isn’t quite there for gaming although being on a much smaller node.

Best

Wulf

Soldato
I’d wait to see what Intel has coming.

Intel has nothing 'new' performance wise coming to desktop until late 2020, early 2021. A bit of a long time to wait, no? Could have bought the 9600K and been using it for 15-18 months by that time.

As for the OP's question of hitting sub £200, it's around £220 now and we are approaching the biggest selling season of the year into Q4, I'd imagine you'll see some more competitive pricing around then.

Soldato
What Intel refresh lol, all they got is 14nm +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ until 2021. All tech sites agree, the 3600 over the naff 9600 and even the 8700 for everything from productivity to gaming. Anyone buying Intel these days with all their security holes, high prices and low thread counts compared to comparative AMD chips, needs to wise up.

Soldato
People calling the 9600k crap and then recommending the 3600X O_o

The 9600K will be slightly better than the 3600X for games.

The 3600X only makes any difference of significance for content creation and virtual machines. It is perhaps better future proofed tho but I wouldnt consider in 2019 the differences significant unless you a content creator, or like to run cinebench a lot for giggles.

OP wants simplicity and would be a nice upgrade from ivy bridge.

Back
Top Bottom