Trying to trade in a computer with an OEM licence at my 'high street pawn shop'

Associate
OP
I'm curious how you think any one here can help you change their mind on store policy.
oh no, far from it. my general view is that they cannot be bothered to test them. if they make up stories, they don't have to do all the admin with trade ins!

UPDATE
-----------------

So I'm intrigued to see how this would go, so I spoke to the manager who in turn said that if I pop in at X time i can meet the tester who is '**** hot' on these things... So i Did :)

The response that I got was 'I have no doubts that the software is genuine, but I am still unable to accept it'
'We have had a policy change a few months ago and run a script on the PCs, if they fail the script, we do not accept them. If I accepted it, I would loose my job!'

I then proceeded to ask about this 'script' as I said I would prefer to check my trade-ins myself before coming to store to ensure I don't try and trade in any clunkers and waste mine (and their) time.

The 'Script' turns out to be one line from the command prompt : wmic path softwarelicensingservice get OA3xOriginalProductKey

This command if you are not aware is to pull the licence key from the UEFI which is baked in by the core system builders (HP, Lenovo, Dell) etc....

So in essence, you sell a 'custom' PC with a non system-builder board and they will no long accept that as a PC w/ a licence and need to sell it as a 'Linux PC' in my example, a PC originally values by 'SeX' at £200 is now worth £60... supposedly.

it is what it is, but I'd thought id share my experiences. :)

Soldato
So in essence, you sell a 'custom' PC with a non system-builder board and they will no long accept that as a PC w/ a licence and need to sell it as a 'Linux PC' in my example, a PC originally values by 'SeX' at £200 is now worth £60... supposedly.

it is what it is, but I'd thought id share my experiences. :)

Sounds like there's a market in buying 'Linux PCs' from this outlet and reselling them locally. The sheer horror of dealing with all the hassle makes this improbable but possible!

Back
Top Bottom