Ballistix Sport LT Overclocking

Soldato
Currently running this profile, all seems stable so far. The primary timings are slightly tighter than I had at 3200 but most of the secondary timings are slightly looser. There are only a few that are maxed out so still a dozen or so that can be played with. I think first I will try disabling Gear Down Mode and, if that's stable, try CL15. Unlikely to work but worth a try.

Jl7pWHK.png

Soldato
1.45v is okay. of course ideally as close to 1.4v as possible...
also do check what the mobo reports the memory voltages.
some mobos give an extra 0.02-0.03v randomly, so your 1.45 can actually be 1.47-1.48v
at least i've seen reports of some gigabyte aorus x570 boards doing just that, and so does mine (aorus x570i) lol

dont forget your also running an 8 layer PCB and 2 dimm slot design - in theory with benchmarks against others like for your board should come on top or be able to push hard and tighter :)

Soldato
Good to see you finally have it working well. CL15 if you are just talking CAS Latency 15 and the rest as it is now may work, what voltage are you pushing presently.?
1.4 V. I disabled Gear Down Mode and it booted fine and has been stable in Windows, need to run some stress tests though before continuing. At 3200 @ 1.35 V it could not hit CAS=12 but I never tried CAS=13 because I had GDM enabled. Since I'm using higher voltage now it might be OK with 3733 CAS=15.

EDIT: Never mind, GDM disabled is unstable. Other than trying higher voltages that means the only thing left to do really is tighten some secondaries.

Last edited:
Associate
Never really overclocked memory before so not really 100% on what I'm supposed to be doing!
Here is where I'm at so far. Stable through a couple of passes of memtest.

HVhwpIo.png

Any pointers on where I could improve things? Really not sure which timings are worth tweaking.

Soldato
I can’t remember my timings, but before I upgraded my ram I got 2 single channel sticks to run dual at matched timing and both XMP to 2933, I had 12gb, worked a treat and didn’t notice any performance issues, to be fair, mine are 2400 sticks which I found fine as they were, I didn’t touch anything else until the settings either.

They not working out well for me right now ha, but ballistix sports (white for me) seem to be pretty good performers both in general and overclocked

Ree

Ree

Associate
i couldn't get 3600 c16 (safe) to work without errors but i can get 3733 c16 to work and pass memtest with no errors :/

Soldato
Guess I spoke too soon. Although at 3733 MT/s my setup passes overnight runs of OCCT and MemTestPro, it doesn't last more than an hour in game before it locks up and reboots. I've spent an entire day now trying to fix it, including loosening pretty much every timing, raising and lowering VDDP between 0.9 and 1.0 V, raising CLDO_VDDP to 1.0 V, raising CLDO_VDDG to 1.0 V, lowering and raising VDIMM between 1.35 and 1.45 V, lowering procODT to 40 Ohms, and even lowering the speed to 3666 MT/s while keeping the same timings. Nothing fixes it.

Not sure what else I can try at this point and I don't even have a reliable way of knowing it's stable except "keep playing non-competitive matches until it crashes". :(

Aaaaaaaand now it's crashing at my "stable" 3200 MT/s profile too. Maybe my CPU is dying. Or maybe my GPU.

Last edited:
Associate
Guess I spoke too soon. Although at 3733 MT/s my setup passes overnight runs of OCCT and MemTestPro, it doesn't last more than an hour in game before it locks up and reboots. I've spent an entire day now trying to fix it, including loosening pretty much every timing, raising and lowering VDDP between 0.9 and 1.0 V, raising CLDO_VDDP to 1.0 V, raising CLDO_VDDG to 1.0 V, lowering and raising VDIMM between 1.35 and 1.45 V, lowering procODT to 40 Ohms, and even lowering the speed to 3666 MT/s while keeping the same timings. Nothing fixes it.

Not sure what else I can try at this point and I don't even have a reliable way of knowing it's stable except "keep playing non-competitive matches until it crashes". :(

Aaaaaaaand now it's crashing at my "stable" 3200 MT/s profile too. Maybe my CPU is dying. Or maybe my GPU.

memtest pro from windows ? better the classic memtest from pendrive... check for errors with memtest at boot... let us know

Associate
Not one to play with the timings, but for the lazy memory buyer here are my results on an Asus B450-I ITX Strix Gaming and a first gen Ryzen 1700:

Ballistix Sport LT 32GB 2x16GB 16-18-18-18 1T Dual Rank 1.35v (XMP Profile). E-Die - BLS2K16G4D32AESB

Runs at 3533 without any voltage or timings change. Errors at 3600 but that's the max for first gen Ryzen infinity fabric anyway I think?

Decided on 3466 to be safe. Dual Rank gives a small boost too due to interleaving. Not bad for cheap ram especially on first gen.

Ryzen 1700 3.8Ghz 1.30v, no LLC (or level 1 whichever is the lowest possible as using air cooling and want a quiet reliable ITX system).

Soldato
Runs at 3533 without any voltage or timings change. Errors at 3600 but that's the max for first gen Ryzen infinity fabric anyway I think?
3733 for 1:1 IF

Bookmarked this thread, got 32gb 3200 of this kit waiting to go in a new build when i get back home.

Why do i need 32gb? I don't.
Why did i buy it? Because it was on offer for 140 odd quids :D
Why else? Because reasons.

Edit: so as a general rule is it more advantageous to try for tighter timings on a 3200 kit or to try and get it upped towards 3733? (It will be Zen 2 btw)

Soldato
Is that the same on Ryzen 1 as the mem controller speed and ram speed are fixed? I'm new to Ryzen; thought it's best just to get the ram as high as possible as I can't control the Infinity Fabric speed on 1st gen.
Ah sorry, my bad, unsure about 1st gen. I'm new to Ryzen too and not sure on the differences between generations.

I seem to have been distracted all afternoon by the cricket. :)

Associate
That's ok thanks for clarifying. To be honest I wasn't expecting too much on first gen Ryzen when using dual rank 32GB sticks and would have been happy with 3200 cas 16. The rest has been a bonus. I was never going to pay the same price I paid for 32GB for 16GB B-die for such a small performance difference especially when I edit videos.

Associate
Edit: so as a general rule is it more advantageous to try for tighter timings on a 3200 kit or to try and get it upped towards 3733? (It will be Zen 2 btw)

If you can get as near to 3600 with OK timings that's generally best to start off with on Zen2

Is that the same on Ryzen 1 as the mem controller speed and ram speed are fixed? I'm new to Ryzen; thought it's best just to get the ram as high as possible as I can't control the Infinity Fabric speed on 1st gen.

For Zen1 the base memory clock and IF clocks are fixed the same so there is no modifiable ratio like on Zen2.

For Zen1 anything over 3400Mhz is a very good result.

Soldato
memtest pro from windows ? better the classic memtest from pendrive... check for errors with memtest at boot... let us know
I actually suspect it's my GPU now. My previously rock solid stable memory settings + previously rock solid stable GPU settings = crashing within 30 minutes. Previously rock solid stable memory settings + stock GPU = no crashes so far over ~3 hours. Not sure if it's a coincidence that my GPU overclock that was stable for nearly a year would now be failing though. I haven't touched PCIe settings or anything like that. I wonder if there are other voltages that might have affected the GPU?

Associate
I actually suspect it's my GPU now. My previously rock solid stable memory settings + previously rock solid stable GPU settings = crashing within 30 minutes. Previously rock solid stable memory settings + stock GPU = no crashes so far over ~3 hours. Not sure if it's a coincidence that my GPU overclock that was stable for nearly a year would now be failing though. I haven't touched PCIe settings or anything like that. I wonder if there are other voltages that might have affected the GPU?

maybe is the gpu, overclock in not-guaranteed field. I would test the same with memtest at boot... just one pass. Diagnostic must be selective.
And yes, keep gpu stock for a while.

Back
Top Bottom