*** Official Ubiquiti Discussion Thread ***

Soldato
They like big open areas to work with. Walls reflect much of the signal back into the room. As a good rule of thumb, you'll get excellent signal through 1 wall and/or 2 wooden floors. So the ideal is centre of the house, fixed through from the attic. You get very little out the back of the access point so if you fix it to a downstairs ceiling your upstairs performance will be sub-optimal.

Caporegime
We rent the house so options are a bit more limited. However the AP LR has given us good signal throughout all of the house, with the kitchen been a tad patchy and garden barely hanging on. The SH3 managed the living room fine but pretty much deteriorated once you left it so at a bare minimum I am happy. I think putting it on the ceiling might improve the kitchen/garden.

Soldato
Yep top down is the best approach in most houses as vertically there is rarely more than a couple of layers of board in the way.

I mounted mine in the attic on a flat board which I covered in the double backed foil stuff to try and remove any further leakage, I then used the remaining role to do along the rafters to try and channel some of the side lobes downwards. I doubt I could ever prove it helped but I feel better for doing it.

I've had WiFi issues from day one in this new build. A friend recommended Unfi. So i went ahead got the Unify AP AC Lite via jungle delivery services and was blown away.
This has now been expanded.
  • 2x AP AC Lite
  • 1x AP AC LR
  • 1x USG
I am using a Raspberry Pi 3B+ for my controller, i used this guide here for that https://community.ui.com/questions/.../e8a24143-bfb8-4a61-973d-0b55320101dc?page=10

I have installed the AP's in the following locations
  • Hall way (AC Lite)
  • Landing (LR)
  • Garage workshop but far side towards garden (AC Lite)
I am rethinking of moving the LR to the garage or maybe exchange it for an AC Lite so everything is the same.

I have them set to broadcast an SSID for 2G and 5G networks. I have no idea what the official correct way is or should be. I have made sure all devices possible are on the 5G.
Have also used inSSIDer to check for the best settings channel wise. Not to self, when you see 3 of your networks per band there is a reason. It's seeing the 3 AP's I have. Spent a good half a day trying to make sense of that. Blond moment at least.

Mesh i have turned off. Everything is hard wired back to the switch then router.

My USG has yet to be installed as only ordered it today. Is it really needed who knows but this stuff is really nice to look at, use, play, learn and it works. I have the Cisco Meraki but not a fan.

I really want a US-8-150W but it's not cheap but my argument for it is the reduction in POE injectors, more data on the page, looks cool. I'm partly torn with an official controller but the Pi is kinda cool.

Anyway pics are always good. Hopefully these work

Soldato
You can say Amazon :)

The controller software is the same irrespective of you running it on a Pi or a Cloud Key. If it's working fine on the Pi (no reason why it shouldn't) then I don't see much point in splashing out on a Cloud Key. Spend that cash on a Unifi switch instead ;)

Personally I have different SSID for my 2.4 and 5GHz networks. When I ran a single SSID I'd often find stuff that was capable of being of 5GHz sitting on 2.4.

A USG isn't necessary in the same sense that a Unifi switch isn't necessary. You'll get more stats and info in the controller if you have a USG and Unifi switch but won't get any extra speed or anything like that but having the access points all linked at 1 gig would be nice. My network is entirely Unifi and it is nice to see all the detail that the controller offers.

Man of Honour
I haven't changed any settings and it's been running like that for years, no need to IME.

As for the USG, it's hard to recommend it. It's old and slow and there's much better for the money performance wise.

You can say Amazon :)

The controller software is the same irrespective of you running it on a Pi or a Cloud Key. If it's working fine on the Pi (no reason why it shouldn't) then I don't see much point in splashing out on a Cloud Key. Spend that cash on a Unifi switch instead ;)

Personally I have different SSID for my 2.4 and 5GHz networks. When I ran a single SSID I'd often find stuff that was capable of being of 5GHz sitting on 2.4.

A USG isn't necessary in the same sense that a Unifi switch isn't necessary. You'll get more stats and info in the controller if you have a USG and Unifi switch but won't get any extra speed or anything like that but having the access points all linked at 1 gig would be nice. My network is entirely Unifi and it is nice to see all the detail that the controller offers.

I didn't think you were allowed to say their name.
That's true regarding the controller. Just nice to have the proper stuff but it also kinda cool tech factor wise to have it on the Pi. It's like you say it's the wow factor and nice to have that data. Plus everything being correctly linked.
Need to make my mind up regarding the LR AP, do i sack it off and swap it over for the AC Lite so all 3 are matching. Also need to get a switch, I have found a 24 port POE one for sale on Facebook but £320!!

Soldato
Soldato
Need to make my mind up regarding the LR AP, do i sack it off and swap it over for the AC Lite so all 3 are matching. Also need to get a switch, I have found a 24 port POE one for sale on Facebook but £320!!

I can’t imagine why you would ditch a perfectly good LR for another Lite. The LR is probably the best all-round access point UBNT make. You need to go to almost double the money for a AP-AC-HDNano to get the same range.

Soldato
Need to make my mind up regarding the LR AP, do i sack it off and swap it over for the AC Lite so all 3 are matching.

It's perfectly fine for them not to match. AP's should be deployed in a use case scenario to get the best coverage, not the idea that if all 3 match you'll somehow have better WiFi. This isn't power rangers and a megazord you won't create :D

Av8

Av8

Associate
Hey guys,

Any recommendations for the ethernet cable that'll use the POE? (switch to AP's, hope I've explained correctly)

Read so much info on the net it's mind boggling, some people say it's dangerous to use certain types and some others say differently. Don't use flat cables, don't use cat6/cat6a best use cat5. Advice appreciated.

TIA, Av8

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if you're asking about pre-terminated patch cables or bulk cable for connecting up faceplates.

Either way, make sure anything you buy is copper and not copper clad aluminium (CCA). If it doesn't state that it's copper in the description either check with the supplier or avoid it completely.

Apart from that, you'd be safe with either Cat5e or Cat6. Cat5e is easier to work with if you're terminating it yourself. Cat6 is, in theory, better for PoE as it has thicker conductors. Domestically it's unlikely to matter.

Av8

Av8

Associate
Yeah pre-terminated cables, I've heard not to use cca too as that has shown up. I may just stick with cat6, as I do have a few around spare. I'll just have to make sure it isn't the cca you've mentioned.

Thanks.

Av8

Av8

Associate
The longest I need will be about 7-10 metres long, shortest about 2-3 metres. I'm struggling to find non cca pre-terminated cables, searches I've used so far don't confirm if non cca. More research, thanks so far.

Soldato
Stranded or solid core isn't the issue. It's what the cable is actually made from that matters (copper vs CCA).

CCA is a cost-cutting measure that has a number of downsides (I'll leave you to Google what they are if you're interested).

A 10m cable is pretty short, so it isn't really going matter what it's made from.

Soldato
Back
Top Bottom