ASUS XG438Q 43 inch 120Hz 4K announced

Caporegime
I've been following the display industry for a few decades and would be absolutely stunned if DP 2.0 came to actual products in 2020. The standard was just released. Usually it is 2-3 years before you see end-to-end functioning products after spec release. Remember you need a DP 2.0 video card that needs the transmission controller baked into the silicon and you need a DP 2.0 chip (yet more specific silicon) in the display. The HDMI 2.1 Specification was released in November 2017 and we may be lucky to get a video card with it in 2020.

Lol hence me saying displayport 2.0 will be with us as "soon" as hdmi 2.1. Its quite sad on the lead times.

Its bad full stop with monitors though. A new one is announced and shown at shows then one year to 18 months later its finally available to buy and by then its out of date and behind the times.

I am still rocking my Benq 32" 4k 60hz ips screen i bought for £450 several years ago. I would like to upgrade to a hdr 100hz or 120hz screen of similar size but suspect i will be waiting a few years more.

And at £450 it was a top quality screen with great colour matching and semi pro for photo work as well as being able to overclock to 75hz and has freesync built in. No light bleed either.

Caporegime
Associate
Ya AUO announced that they were doing a 4K/120/600 nit version of the panel and a slightly modified 4K/144/1000 nit version. So ASUS and Acer will probably launch both. The latter is supposed to be like $300 more expensive.

Soldato
Cropped up elsewhere for £1126 I see. I'm definitely waiting for TFT Central's review though. I did see someone on a forum who already has one complaining about contrast shifting, but not sure how close they were sat. VA is definitely more susceptible to this, and with 43", if you're sat too close it would be unavoidable I'm sure. Personally, I'm pretty much going to be bang on 1m away. I have a 32" 4K at present.

Caporegime
Problem is I used to notice colour shifting on my 24" VA. I am not sure at normal desktop viewing distance that you could avoid it with 43". Really should have been curved IMO.

Soldato
Problem is I used to notice colour shifting on my 24" VA. I am not sure at normal desktop viewing distance that you could avoid it with 43". Really should have been curved IMO.

Probably. Coming from IPS, it's my biggest concern. Just replacing bleed and IPS glow with another issue! Pfft, always a compromise!!

Caporegime
Just noticed TFTCentral have put a notice up saying review due mid September. I can hang on for that.

Annoyingly he is been slow as he got the monitor for review over a week ago but he has promised his readers he is going to finish reviewing the monitors hes already got and not even going to open the box yet, :(

Caporegime
Annoyingly he is been slow as he got the monitor for review over a week ago but he has promised his readers he is going to finish reviewing the monitors hes already got and not even going to open the box yet, :(

You can always get a refund. Oh wait...

Have a little patience eh, if I were him I'd push it back another week just to shut you up :D

Man of Honour
@Baddass I know you're a bit snowed under at present but if possible if you could post a 'first impressions' snipit for us when you set it up it would be appreciated :) Np if not ;)
i've got it set up and testing it currently. first impressions are "it's massive!" :). too big for regular close up desktop use imo, but that's not the target market for something like this anyway. you'll have to hang on until the review is written i'm afraid for proper analysis

Caporegime
i've got it set up and testing it currently. first impressions are "it's massive!" :). too big for regular close up desktop use imo, but that's not the target market for something like this anyway. you'll have to hang on until the review is written i'm afraid for proper analysis

Ok thanks BA, I'm one of the nutters who'd want it for normal desktop use ;) :D :p

Soldato
first impressions are "it's massive!" :).

That's what she said... :p

In all seriousness though, how close is "close up desktop use"... would about 1m away be OK? I'm aware of the dimensions and have tried to figure out how that will sit, but it's tricky to properly visualise.

Associate
found a review i chinese if anyone can trasnlate.. lol

The more i see it the more i want it... oh i might wait for the ACER 144 version...

Will also be using on my desktop. Go big oe go home :eek:

Back
Top Bottom